Novoflex Adapters

/p/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have a Nikon to MFT Novoflex. It makes lens and adapter one unit, the aperture ring is big and smooth. A friend of mine has some enjoyyourcamera adapter, very cheap. Okay, unless you compare them directly.

Is the aperture control on the adapter smooth or with clicks?

The lens' aperture ring clicks, the bigger blue one of the Novoflex doesn't. It is a short way from close to open though (and wide open doesn't work anyway, I also read this about other adapted lenses), and I doubt I could fine-tune the exposure during recording, pan away from the window for example. So if there was no such ring, this was no dealbreaker for me. If i had different kinds of mounts to adapt, I'd rather buy cheaper ones and let them on their lenses.

The lens' aperture ring clicks, the bigger blue one of the Novoflex doesn't. It is a short way from close to open though (and wide open doesn't work anyway, I also read this about other adapted lenses), and I doubt I could fine-tune the exposure during recording, pan away from the window for example. So if there was no such ring, this was no dealbreaker for me. If i had different kinds of mounts to adapt, I'd rather buy cheaper ones and let them on their lenses.

Sorry I'm not 100% sure on what you mean, I'll see if I got this right.

The aperture ring on lenses have click stops but the aperture ring on the adapter is smooth right? It should control the lens via the aperture control lever on the back of the lens?

I'm not sure what you mean by wide open doesn't work though? Do you mean the adapter doesn't allow the lens to use it's maximum aperture mechanically? Or do you mean the IQ from the adapted lenses is poor when wide open on the adapter? (The adapter is somehow changing the performance of the lens?) 

I currently have a Nikkor to MFT Speed Booster which lets you control the aperture on the lenses by manipulating the aperture lever on the back of the lenses, since it controls the lens via the lever it allows a smooth aperture ring on the adapter as opposed to having to use the click stop aperture control on the lens. 

From what I understand all Sony lenses also have the aperture control lever on the back of the lens which would allow for adapters to be able to control the exposure (but some adapters have click stops and some are smooth) I already own a fotodiox pro alpha to mft adapter which has click stops built into it (I doubt it's accurate but they're there nonetheless however I much prefer the smooth adapter ring on the Speed Booster and am hoping the Novoflex adapters aperture control ring is also smooth. Also I hope it doesn't mechanically stop you from shooting wide open.. If that's the case for the money they cost I probably wouldn't get one (hoping I have misunderstood you though).

Thanks.

Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse you. I had some Nikon glasses from my F3 and at first adapted them to my 7D. The fastest, the 35mm and the 50mm, both f1.4, were not perfectly sharp with the 7D (they were on the F3). I forgot this, when I again used them on the GH2, with the said Novoflex. It seems there is no point in buying full frame lenses for MFT faster than f2.0., I heard this about other lenses too. But since, due to the crop factor, a 50mm is like a 100mm on a GH2, 2.0 is more than enough.

Has nothing to do with the Novoflex.

I like the Novoflex it's built like a tank.  But the cost is just way too much.  I have a cheapo Chinese made one too and it works just fine.  If you don't care about the stepless aperture (since most AIS are manual aperture anyway) then I would skip it.  If you have the Metabones, even better you don't need it.  But if you want a guaranteed working/fitting adapter, then Novoflex is the best.  But at 300x times the cost, that's up to you to determine if it's worth it.

By the way, you make the manual aperture on the lens at F22, then you use the aperture ring on the Novoflex to open/close the aperture.  It is as smooth as the aperture on your lens, no steps no clicks.  I haven't had any problems with F1.2 or F1.4, but of course manual focusing is another matter entirely.