Making Money on YouTube for Idiots (Me) 2019

kaylee

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

When I started EOSHD I was just a forum poster at DVXUser giving out all this info for free on someone else's site and the site admins were horrible to me one day, so I thought - right - enough of this, I'm going to set up my own camera blog, my own forum, and that was EOSHD. I hope my passion showed through!

Very true! I guess it was obvious you'd be their most serious competitor one day. And I recall when I was there practically alone if not the only one defending you. Archives are there to prove and mark my words : ) Glad to be here from minute one to see you to succeed along this hard way building this community. ? Even going on your toes as webmaster, our supreme moderator... LOL ; -)

https://www.similarweb.com/website/dvxuser.com?competitors=eoshd.com

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 7/1/2019 at 11:25 PM, kaylee said:

/hey!! oh no, i just thought of something!! are there... rules about how long a video needs to be to work with adsense, or anything of that nature...? like it has to be at least 2 min long or... something? it just occurred to me...

If it is ten minutes long then you'll get two adverts in it, which is why so so many videos uploaded are bang on ten minutes or just over it. 

On 7/1/2019 at 11:25 PM, kaylee said:

edit: double oh no!! PLEASE tell me that you dont need 1,000 subscribers minimum to use adsense?!?!? thats crazy, theres TONS of channels with viral million+ views videos that have less than 1k subscribers?? example

So? If you only have a viral video or two then we're still only talking about pennies. 

Anybody who takes it seriously (with the aim to make it a career of sorts) will get 1K Subs easily (heck I'm almost there ish and I take my channel very very casually with low production values indeed). 

Cats. That is the secret. ;)

But, if you don't have a cat, there are other things that will get views:

Box openings/reviews (even if you don't actually own the item, just comment on it - like why you are preordering, then cancelling your preorder, then considering repreordering, that sort of nonsense). It can be virtually anything, preferably something a lot of people are likely to consider buying. And you need to be doing it constantly, but choose a general theme of products, not random stuff or you will not establish regulars.

Have an over the top personality. The topic under discussion in the video can be anything, the point is to bombard the viewer with babble. Preferably offensive (people love that), but not so much so that you might get banned/carted off to jail or anything like that. Remember, people will be coming to your channel to watch YOU, so you better make sure that you are entertaining in your own right.

Cute girls in bikinis, or guys in whatever apparel that gets the ladies going. Sex sells, if you present that you will probably get tons of views. Weave that into whatever other type of video you are making if in any way possible.

Travel experiences. Preferably to unusual or exotic locations. People will look these sorts of videos up when they are planning or thinking about vacations. Again, having an over the top personality/bikinis etc adds to this if you want views. Be excited (and preferably youthful).

How to videos. This can be as simple as the proper way to hammer a nail into a piece of wood. People are always looking for tutorials on how to handle simple tasks that they have not done before.

@kaylee Something else to add to my post and from @Andrew Reid's above:

truth.

Without it, you can succeed anyways... but, well, you know : X

This following post written Yesterday on dvxuser reminded me to point out this one now ; )

*nuff said, reason why EOSHD is the success we all know*

Furthermore, I would submit that you're about 11 years late with this observation. I raised holy hell about the "DSLR revolution" for precisely these same reasons. The 5D Mark II was a horrible thing, shooting on it was miserable, the aliasing was terrifying, the workaround hoops you had to jump through were obscene, and it got "a name" and everyone thought we should shoot on it. I was pretty much alone, even though I was dead-to-nuts right. It took years for people to abandon that thing.

Too funny to say the least LMAO : -)

Who here does still remind that controversy between Shannon Rawls and Barry from that shootout?

Barry has special skills to describe facts touching his own targets and interest beyond a polite and friendly presence to ask no less reciprocity. I see his role to triumph much more as attorney than a mere shill though. Just some other cross-breed.

Let alone the last controversy on RED Mini-mags...

Blend stuff must be clear enough to be fairly understood and translucent. This skew Andrew has never delivered to his clientele, in behalf of his audience also thanks to good common sense.

Despite people have always difficulty to understand anything hybrid by nature, I guess : -)

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, TurboRat said:

So is that why some famous youtubers also create a 2nd & 3rd account? Because YT suddenly stops recommending the vids of the ones gaining traction?

It may also be to appease the algorithm in another way; if they have different types of content then they can be penalised if everyone isn't interested in everything. If you never watch a channels vlogging content but always watch their proper content then the algorithm just sees that as you not being as interested as you were before, and in a puppy like attempt to please you it shows you content that you always watch all the way through, and may not show you their content again for a while ( or ever again ). How it is working is conjecture on my part, based on reports from a few people who have talked about it - Linus Sebastian is pretty open about how it all works on the WAN show, but also knowing how "algorithm" and "machine learning"  is used as pixie dust in the tech world to make pretty old concepts seem magical and worthy of investment. 

It could be solved if there weren't so many people trying to game the system, it's probably hardest to game a system based on your watch metrics rather than what the content is purporting to be. Until an AI is smart enough to understand and categorise the content itself then it'll just continue to be a cat and mouse game. 

On 10/7/2019 at 2:29 AM, Otago said:

It may also be to appease the algorithm in another way; if they have different types of content then they can be penalised if everyone isn't interested in everything. If you never watch a channels vlogging content but always watch their proper content then the algorithm just sees that as you not being as interested as you were before, and in a puppy like attempt to please you it shows you content that you always watch all the way through, and may not show you their content again for a while ( or ever again ). How it is working is conjecture on my part, based on reports from a few people who have talked about it - Linus Sebastian is pretty open about how it all works on the WAN show, but also knowing how "algorithm" and "machine learning"  is used as pixie dust in the tech world to make pretty old concepts seem magical and worthy of investment. 

It could be solved if there weren't so many people trying to game the system, it's probably hardest to game a system based on your watch metrics rather than what the content is purporting to be. Until an AI is smart enough to understand and categorise the content itself then it'll just continue to be a cat and mouse game. 

Thanks for this. I actually work as a software developer and know a bit about machine learning and all i can say is that it's definitely not fool proof. Without seeing much of the parameters that they're basing their algorithm on, then a youtuber can only do a trial and error method to see what works. But then youtube can suddenly change their conditions which sucks

On 10/7/2019 at 2:29 AM, Otago said:

There are a couple of phrases that are interesting here... "what gets measured gets managed" which can be a good thing (eg, number of car accidents on a piece of road) but then there's "a good middle manager will meet their targets even if they have to destroy the organisation to do so" which...  isn't.

Metrics cut both ways.

Sorry, this post is slightly off-topic, but I teach 8th graders an Arts, A/V class, and I'm considering doing a unit on YouTube content creation. It'd involve them researching what are the most successful channels, and summarizing what sort of content they produce. They'd then go onto brainstorming what kind of content they'd produce for their channel (which they won't actually make in my class for student privacy reasons).

I think I'd have them design a channel logo, write episode outlines or scripts, and produce vlogs using their phone. Any thoughts on this idea?

7 hours ago, Jordan Garcia said:

Sorry, this post is slightly off-topic, but I teach 8th graders an Arts, A/V class, and I'm considering doing a unit on YouTube content creation. It'd involve them researching what are the most successful channels, and summarizing what sort of content they produce. They'd then go onto brainstorming what kind of content they'd produce for their channel (which they won't actually make in my class for student privacy reasons).

I think I'd have them design a channel logo, write episode outlines or scripts, and produce vlogs using their phone. Any thoughts on this idea?

This is a great idea, but I'd suggest the more you can make real and relevant then the better it will be, and by real and relevant I mean learning by doing.  I'd suggest getting very very familiar with where the professional / legal / ethical boundaries are so that you're doing as much as you can.

As a parent of a 15 and 13 year old, I'd suggest that your students are likely to have made videos before, even if they're TikTok, Instgram, gone live, Boomerangs, etc and maybe haven't 'published' them but have shared them in chats or other limited audiences.  Unlike media classes even a decade ago, basically every kid has access to an entire media production suite in their pocket, so you should look at traditional media education very skeptically.

This means that you can either help them to learn by creating content, publishing and seeing what happens, or you can help them understand what's going on with The Algorithm.  I'd suggest that the latter will only be of interest to those who have inquisitive minds or who seek stardom, which isn't likely to be the majority of your class.  Think about how many people are involved in making a film and how many are on-screen - talent is by far the minority and yet on social almost everyone plays the talent.

Another angle is to go away from social media completely and teach them how to film a narrative.  I know this is the traditional media education I told you to abandon only a few paragraphs ago, but (to argue against myself) it's a set of skills that are used by you tubers all the time that's invisible, and yet can be so important to creating better content.  Depending on how long your classes are, you could even get them to go through the brainstorming, pre-production, production, post-production and delivery / distribution stages in one class "Now students, I'm starting a timer for 7 minutes, write down 5 ideas for a film"..  It would be difficult for many students to keep up with that kind of pace, but do it a few times in a row (with students who managed to finish something sharing what worked) and you might get some traction with all students.

Anyway, good luck!