Blackmagic fix black hole and white orbs with new firmware and sensor calibration

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[media]http://vimeo.com/74286078[/media]

The Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera is slated for an end of September ship date now in more quantity, after a small tricke-out - the good news is that the extra time has given Blackmagic some leeway to tweak the camera.

[url=http://www.eoshd.com/content/11181/blackmagic-fix-black-hole-white-orbs-new-firmware-sensor-calibration]Read the full article here[/url]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The black spot issue is fixed by the new firmware, and the white orb issue is fixed in all cameras that are now shipping. But if you own a Pocket from the first production batch and are affected by the white orb issue, you need to send the camera to Blackmagic's customer support for hardware recalibration. This can't be fixed with firmware.

I can 100% confirm this as I am the owner of an orb-affected first-batch Pocket camera, and have installed the new firmware. Still need to send in my camera for recalibration, and don't like the idea at all because the (current ProRes, not even raw) video image coming out of it beats everything that I've used before, including the raw video from a Canon 50D with Magic Lantern - click here for a comparison.

Kudos to EOSHD for getting this message out to a larger public despite its criticism of Blackmagic. In various web forums such as the Blackmagic User Forum, personal-view etc. the troll wars and hearsay around this camera have really got out of hand.

who needs digital bolex now.....?

They're different cameras. The Digital Bolex has a different sensor with a different look. Also, global shutter is even more important in a sensor this size, most Pocket Camera handheld footage is filled with the nasty jello effect, it's almost impossible to use the Pocket Camera handheld unless you have an extreme wide angle lens, a massive rig (compared to the camera size) or an IS lens.

I see the Pocket Camera as a perfect B cam for the Digital Bolex though, since you can use the same lenses.

[media]http://vimeo.com/74286078[/media]

The Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera is slated for an end of September ship date now in more quantity, after a small tricke-out - the good news is that the extra time has given Blackmagic some leeway to tweak the camera.

Read the full article here

Where did you here about the shipping date of end of september??