Recommendations for a pocket camera

hijodeibn

The other day I was in downtown and somehow I ended up above a truck in the middle of a street festival....and I didn't have any camera with me!...so frustrating, anyway, I need a pocket camera, something for VIDEO that I can carry with me all the time, including of course the zoom, and I can live with it in one of my front pockets, I was thinking in the canon M with ML, then the M50, later the Z6, now not so sure which could be a good decision, so, if anybody is carrying a camera all the time I would like to hear your comments.....please, only people who is using a camera all the time in their pockets, I really don't need feedback from theoreticians based in their believes....thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I often carry a camera in my pocket but it is usually just a very cheap little point and shoot.     On wet days I carry a little Panasonic rugged camera (FT20) it is not the best image quality but ok for stills and video (only 720p).     When it is not wet I currently carry a Panasonic FX700, again, not the greatest IQ but at least does full HD but has a LOT of control including manual and touch screen.      Neither is much good at night but they cost me around the price of lunch at a fast food diner so no great loss if anything happens to them.       Both are fairly old now but are upgrades from what I used previously and I will replace these as I find better ones as long as they are cheap (usually get them from charity shops and pawn shops very cheap since phones have replaced cameras for most people now).      Actually, a phone camera might work too if it is a recent one.      I find small ILC's to be a bit cumbersome to use as daily pocket cameras (while still somewhat pocketable).      I have used a Pentax Q which works with the right lens (though used that very little for video) and M43 cameras but prefer the size of compact cameras.

Geez I even used to fit a Pentax KX DSLR into my (baggy) jeans pockets and in winter a A7/A7s in coat pockets but not as daily drivers so I guess it depends on your level of need versus comfort.

Video from any of these P&S cameras is not going to win any prizes at least from me but are handy to have.

1 hour ago, hijodeibn said:

The other day I was in downtown and somehow I ended up above a truck in the middle of a street festival....and I didn't have any camera with me!...so frustrating, anyway, I need a pocket camera, something for VIDEO that I can carry with me all the time, including of course the zoom, and I can live with it in one of my front pockets, I was thinking in the canon M with ML, then the M50, later the Z6, now not so sure which could be a good decision, so, if anybody is carrying a camera all the time I would like to hear your comments.....please, only people who is using a camera all the time in their pockets, I really don't need feedback from theoreticians based in their believes....thanks!

Unless your pockets are rather larger than most people, things like the M50 and Z6 are NOT pocket cameras.

Your best bet is something like a RX100 V or VI. It will actually fit it your pocket and records decent video.

Hello:

I have had the same problem several times. I live in Chile (South America) and in recent years there have been important citizen movements, which are permanently on the streets. I have a 5d iii camera with magiclantern, but I can not carry it permanently, so I put a GoPro3 in my backpack and it has served me a lot, the audio is not good, but I turn it on and record it regardless of rain or other weather problems . I work making documentaries and although the image does not have the best quality, its value lies in having been able to capture the moment and its essence. I am currently thinking about buying a gopro7 or Dji osmo pocket, to carry in my backpack.

8 hours ago, Katrikura said:

Hello:

I have had the same problem several times. I live in Chile (South America) and in recent years there have been important citizen movements, which are permanently on the streets. I have a 5d iii camera with magiclantern, but I can not carry it permanently, so I put a GoPro3 in my backpack and it has served me a lot, the audio is not good, but I turn it on and record it regardless of rain or other weather problems . I work making documentaries and although the image does not have the best quality, its value lies in having been able to capture the moment and its essence. I am currently thinking about buying a gopro7 or Dji osmo pocket, to carry in my backpack.

It isn't cheap, but the new Sony RX0 mk II is pretty impressive now. For durability I think I would go for the Osmo Action over the Osmo Pocket. But both are nice.

Here is a new link to the GoPro, Osmo Action comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whjaPWhyZJ0

Canon G7 X & G5 X-series are supposed to get a successor next month-ish if you believe rumors...

The Canon G7X-series has been the all-in-one pocket content capturing device of choice of the YouTube crowd. Front-facing flippy touchscreen, decent stabilization, decent autofocus, decent picture straight-out-of-camera, decent onboard audio (when adhesive windmuffs added) and really really compact and pretty affordable. Panasonic/Sony look alright on paper... but in practice don't quite manage to deliver a similar allround package (I wish the LX100 II would've nailed it, but it's was more than underwhelming, it was a joke; the Sony RX100 VI isn't great either (the RX100 VA is close, but has its own troubles)). Not to say Canon is perfect, I can't help but keep hating on 'em for regurgitating old hardware, having underwhelming specs and even crippling cameras (like no DPAF in 4K, crazy crops, no 24p, etc). But... they're nailing the point-n-shoot and ease of use aspects of these cameras, that's why so many YouTubers still rely on the in meanwhile >3 yr old G7 X Mark II. They care about content creation. Quickly grab your camera from your pocket. Hit record. Come home, don't waste too much time tweaking the image, be uploading as soon as you can. Surely if you want to create cinematic pieces I would recommend a completely different camera, as I always say: 'get the right tool for the right job'. That could just as well just be a smartphone (Huawei P30 Pro, Sony Xperia 1, etc). That can also be a Panasonic Lumix GX9. It's always about 'making the best compromise'... and you gotta find out whatever that is to you.

-- speaking of which: https://www.canonrumors.com/here-is-the-canon-powershot-g7-x-mark-iii/

9 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

No es barato, pero el nuevo Sony RX0 mk II es bastante impresionante ahora. Para la durabilidad, creo que me gustaría ir a la acción de Osmo sobre el bolsillo de Osmo. Pero ambos son agradables.

Aquí hay un nuevo enlace a la comparación GoPro, Osmo Action.

A couple of days ago, I was leaving a meeting at a local university, to which I am making a corporate documentary and I found a civic demonstration. Everything was quiet, I took out my Gopro, to make a small audiovisual record, out of nowhere a police bus appeared, releasing water and dissuasive gases, the powerful jet hit me directly to the body, the camera fell to the wet floor. Fortunately nothing happened to him. For this and several reasons I have learned that by size, price and portability, the best camera to always have in the backpack, is an action camera. Who would have imagined a few years ago, that you were going to carry a 4k camera, with stabilizer, waterproof and shock, in such a small size and for less than 300 dollars in your pocket.
I must say that the DJI Osmo Pocket, seduces me by the amount of functions that it has, but I think that it would not resist a deal, as I described previously.

If you're interested, I can upload some videos later.

13 hours ago, Cinegain said:

Canon G7 X & G5 X-series are supposed to get a successor next month-ish if you believe rumors...

The Canon G7X-series has been the all-in-one pocket content capturing device of choice of the YouTube crowd. Front-facing flippy touchscreen, decent stabilization, decent autofocus, decent picture straight-out-of-camera, decent onboard audio (when adhesive windmuffs added) and really really compact and pretty affordable. Panasonic/Sony look alright on paper... but in practice don't quite manage to deliver a similar allround package (I wish the LX100 II would've nailed it, but it's was more than underwhelming, it was a joke; the Sony RX100 VI isn't great either (the RX100 VA is close, but has its own troubles)). Not to say Canon is perfect, I can't help but keep hating on 'em for regurgitating old hardware, having underwhelming specs and even crippling cameras (like no DPAF in 4K, crazy crops, no 24p, etc). But... they're nailing the point-n-shoot and ease of use aspects of these cameras, that's why so many YouTubers still rely on the in meanwhile >3 yr old G7 X Mark II. They care about content creation. Quickly grab your camera from your pocket. Hit record. Come home, don't waste too much time tweaking the image, be uploading as soon as you can. Surely if you want to create cinematic pieces I would recommend a completely different camera, as I always say: 'get the right tool for the right job'. That could just as well just be a smartphone (Huawei P30 Pro, Sony Xperia 1, etc). That can also be a Panasonic Lumix GX9. It's always about 'making the best compromise'... and you gotta find out whatever that is to you.

-- speaking of which: https://www.canonrumors.com/here-is-the-canon-powershot-g7-x-mark-iii/

Wow, didn't know about this new camera, very interesting, if the 4K works at least 30 minutes continue looks like the winner. RX100 V or VI is nice, but 4k for only 5 minutes is a break dealer, 30 minutes is the minimum I can accept....

11 hours ago, Katrikura said:

A couple of days ago, I was leaving a meeting at a local university, to which I am making a corporate documentary and I found a civic demonstration. Everything was quiet, I took out my Gopro, to make a small audiovisual record, out of nowhere a police bus appeared, releasing water and dissuasive gases, the powerful jet hit me directly to the body, the camera fell to the wet floor. Fortunately nothing happened to him. For this and several reasons I have learned that by size, price and portability, the best camera to always have in the backpack, is an action camera. Who would have imagined a few years ago, that you were going to carry a 4k camera, with stabilizer, waterproof and shock, in such a small size and for less than 300 dollars in your pocket.
I must say that the DJI Osmo Pocket, seduces me by the amount of functions that it has, but I think that it would not resist a deal, as I described previously.

If you're interested, I can upload some videos later.

Thanks, yes, I would like to see some videos, what about sound?, is the quality good enough?

The osmo pocket is sweet! With the little case it comes with, its really pretty well-protected, you can shove it in a bag, throw it in your, well, pocket haha, it's very tiny. 

Stabilized 4k 60p is awesome, and the cinelike d profile even intercuts decently well with larger, better cameras, with decent DR. But for a grab-and-go, decent-quality pocket camera, there's really nothing better. My only complaint is that the 4k 60 files are surprisingly hard to edit, even my maxed out 2019 iMac chokes a little bit on them, which is annoying. 

As an example, I went on a little jeeping adventure recently and took it along just for fun. Nothing crazy, but so easy to get fun, creative shots, boots up real quick, very easy to use, I take it everywhere with me now: 

On 6/28/2019 at 11:26 PM, webrunner5 said:

It isn't cheap, but the new Sony RX0 mk II is pretty impressive now. For durability I think I would go for the Osmo Action over the Osmo Pocket. But both are nice.

Here is a new link to the GoPro, Osmo Action comparison.

I’ve been playing with the Osmo Action to learn how it matches up to the Pocket. So far I’m liking it. I might dare say I like it more than the Pocket.

2C66E5C6-E98C-4D2E-8C42-E4FE0C592AC5.jpeg

Both are very convenient and easy to carry. The Action is quite rugged, so no concerns about carrying it wherever you go. When I carry the Pocket, it’s in a case until I’m ready to shoot with it. Taking it out and turning it on is an extra step, as no case is necessary with the Action. Also, WiFi is built into the Action, whereas the Pocket required the WiFi module for WiFi. Alternatively, you can use the USB adapter to connect to your smartphone, but again, an extra step. 

The Pocket has shallower DOF, so focus can be off if you are not connected to your smartphone. The built in screen is OK for framing, but pretty useless for judging focus.

With a deeper DOF, the Action is always in focus. It’s a point and forget type of camera as far as focus goes. The Pocket is stabilized in all its shooting modes, whereas the Action loses EIS when HDR is enabled. That said, the Pocket has no HDR support.

The battery is removable on the Action, where on the Pocket you are restricted to the non removable built in battery.

Neither is brilliant in low light.

They are both good. I plan on keeping both.

2 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I second the RX100, the newest model you can afford.

Pretty good lowlight as well as an awesome zoom range depending on the model you get. Also lots of different frame rate options.

I've never used the Sony, but generally prefer a weather sealed camera... which the Sony is not. Also for a carry everywhere camera being shockproof is something that I like. But that said by most accounts the Sony should provide a pretty nice image in a compact form. 

8 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I second the RX100, the newest model you can afford.

Pretty good lowlight as well as an awesome zoom range depending on the model you get. Also lots of different frame rate options.

can you record more than 5 minutes continue in 4K with the newest model? is it VI or is there a VII now?