SLR Magic anamorphic prototype V3 - Part 2 - The footage

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[media]http://vimeo.com/74457964[/media]

In part 2 of the SLR Magic anamorphic coverage we'll look at how the prototype lens looks and performs on the Blackmagic Cinema Camera.

There's also a poll in which you can help influence the final lens flare this anamorphic produces.

[url=http://www.eoshd.com/content/11150/slr-magic-anamorphic-prototype-v3-part-2-the-footage]Read the full article here[/url]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

i've been quite critical of the stuff i've seen from Letus.  And have also been a bit wary of what I saw on the last test video of the previous slr magic prototype.  But I think this sample shows amazing promise.  There are none of those century and la7200 nasties present - even at the corners.  I'd love to see a direct comparison of this versus a iscorama, both using a nice old 85mm at f2.8-f4 on a full frame camera.

IMO SLR magic should coat the thing to offer best performance / lowest edge CA,  the coatings on the kowa 8z are a good benchmark since it flares nicely and in the lovely blue/purple.  let the user then decide on their desired contrast by selecting either a modern or older taking lens depending on the look they want.

It's amazingly sharp but TBH I don't see any of the nice aesthetics that you get with a 2x anamorphic. The lens flare looks a bit artificial, a bit 'Video Copilot-ish' to my eyes.

I'm hoping they develop a 2x model now that we can record 4:3 raw video on the Canons.

That said, it's still fantastic that SLR Magic are moving into anamorphics. I've got faith in them!

• Administrators

i've been quite critical of the stuff i've seen from Letus.  And have also been a bit wary of what I saw on the last test video of the previous slr magic prototype.  But I think this sample shows amazing promise.  There are none of those century and la7200 nasties present - even at the corners.  I'd love to see a direct comparison of this versus a iscorama, both using a nice old 85mm at f2.8-f4 on a full frame camera.

IMO SLR magic should coat the thing to offer best performance / lowest edge CA,  the coatings on the kowa 8z are a good benchmark since it flares nicely and in the lovely blue/purple.  let the user then decide on their desired contrast by selecting either a modern or older taking lens depending on the look they want.

The edges seem to be the biggest area which needs improvement on the Letus, and this was shot at 200mm.

Haven't seen the flare from it yet.

letus-anamorphic-200mm-edges.jpg

Image from Clinton Harn http://www.clintonharn.com/?p=445

This is much better than the previous test, as I suspected the constant soft focus must have been due to user error. The image quality here looks great, nice and crisp. That said the flares are horrendous and the anamorphic character is so mild that simply letterboxing your footage would get you close enough to this and you could spend the $1500 elsewhere to bump up production value.

I'm so happy that someone is finally developing a new anamorphic attachment, but in the future I would really like to see a lens with a 1.5x stretch.

I don't mind having a proper 2.39:1 while keeping all the pixels without a crop, so this lens is useful already, but I wish the oval bokeh would be more prominent.

I'd like to see some testing of SLR Magic anamorphic lens for sharpness at corners using a camera with full frame sensor or minimal crop factor. I'm not convinced it will have corner sharpness using a camera without a large crop factorsuch as BMCC. How about testing it on a GH2 with speedbooster? : ) Now that would be cool.

There's something missing, like it's too sharp. Maybe it's the 1.3x... I like the 1.5x and 2x a lot more. It doesn't have that organic look like the Iscorama. To me it looks like a cropped standard lens. The flares are to thin too. If they could copy the Iscorama but with a blue flare, I would definitely buy one... maybe 2. 

again check out DSO's oval aperture tests, I wasnt interested till I thought of that combo. Then you would have 2.35 or 2.40 with the ovals you want. Im getting a trump in a few weeks hoefully, if anyone wants to send one to test Id love to do it ;) I bought this to amplify the ovals on my iscorama and I cant wait till that bad boy feels like a 2X heh

I agree with everyone on 1.5X and 2X because its the painted BG look you want with ovals. Also it allows you to shoot telephoto while maintaining a wide FOV when you go with more stretch which is the main reason I love anamorphic in the first place.