It's eGPU time!

kye

1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

5G will revolutionize a lot in this and other industries : ) Impossible to deny, it's only wait and see... 

Yes it will, but North America seems to be super far behind the rest of the world in it. We seem to have been behind here network speeds for years and years. But America and Canada are huge countries to connect everyone to. So will we have it soon, I doubt it. They had to Make the TV industry move to 4k here, and even then it dragged on for years before it actually happened. Doing 8K like Japan is, Heck I will be dead before that happens here lol.

Pretty crazy for me to realize China will have it maybe before America. Wow how times have changed. I will give China credit, they are going full steam ahead with a lot of stuff. The Western World seems to be just content with sitting with their thumb up there ass lol. When I was young Foreman, Managers would stand all day and look at you working. If you slaked off you were fired. Hardly that way now. You want to have stuff you need, or needed to work your ass off to get it.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

And if you can't afford a "Expensive" iPad Pro at 1,100 Dollars why the heck you into video? You can't spend more money than doing video. It is a Total money sink. You are ALWAYS sucking hind tit on it. It is not for the meek. Sounds like you need a better job if you think 1,100 bucks is expensive. I make that much a week tax free take home, and I am retired. If you work your ass off all your life you can benefit from it. Maybe where you live it is not as easy, who knows.

An iPad Pro is not expensive on it's own, but it will cost Kye double what an eGPU costs and is much more limiting at the same time. Not only that, but we already know how much of a performance gain there is to be had with him using an eGPU with Resolve. The iPad Pro however is unknown to him, doesn't run Resolve and if he doesn't like the experience, he then has to sell it and buy another laptop. This is tedious, un-necissary, expensive and for unknown gains (if any) to him.   

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Nobody in this day and age has tons of money to throw at this stuff. So they need to find the best they can get for the money. But GPU's, CPU's die a quick death in this day and age as tech and 4k, 6k, even 8k advance. Nobody can keep up with the latest, but you surely don't need to waste money on older outdated stuff. 

Yes, GPU's and CPU's date quickly, you said it yourself! So why an iPad pro which is not upgradable? An eGPU is upgradable.

I can't keep up with the contradictions you make.

iPad Pro, 5G, cloud editing....all great in a few years but not now. Kye, can you wait a few years?

And for the sake of this discussion, maybe you and Emanual can start a 5G cloud thread?

2 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Emanuel, your typo ; ) But you can put your name to replace mine... LOL Anyway, eGPU is the early stage of something else to come, count on it ; -) The whole thing will be redefined. We're only attending from balcony to the beginning.

We are talking computers...there is always 'Something else to come'! If you wait for something else to come, you will never do anything!!

2 hours ago, A_Urquhart said:

An iPad Pro is not expensive, but it will cost Kye double what an eGPU costs and is much more limiting at the same time. Not only that, but we already know how much of a performance gain there is to be had with him using Resolve. The iPad Pro however is unknown to him, doesn't run Resolve and if he doesn't like the experience, he then has to sell it and buy another laptop. This is tedious, un-necissary and for unknown gains (if any) to him.   

Yes, GPU's and CPU's date quickly, you said it yourself! So why an iPad pro which is not upgradable? An eGPU is upgradable.

I can't keep up with the contradictions you make.

Well we don't know yet if it isn't up gradable. It has a Type C port which is the same as a Thunderbolt 3 port, so a lot is possible with it down the road. The new IOS is so new I don't think even Apple is sure what the end game is on it. All I know it is absolutely amazing even in it's present form. I have a few Bug reports to give to Apple. But overall it is a great software update for how radical it is.

I just don't see how large company's can't utilize it's potential. Other than GPU, which Apple in general sucks ass about, this thing is among the best item Apple has in it's price range by far. And I have nearly every thing Apple makes it seems other than the Garbage Can or their full sized Monitors. Neither worth the asking price performance wise. Great ideas, but too much competition these days for me to drink the Cool Aide. As I see it Apple is going to have to re invent the Wheel or this iPad is going to eat their young as they say, it is that good.

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Well we don't know yet if it isn't up gradable.

So, you are recommending something that is unknown?

9 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

You are suggesting to hundreds of people on here to buy an outdated, in this day and age, useless GPU.  And you don't want me to get upset with you throwing someone that is not too great at understanding this stuff under the bus. That is a pretty interesting.

And you have the nerve to get upset at ME who is recommending a cheap, proven way of Kye getting the performance he is after?

Show me another way that Kye can upgrade his stem for $400-500 that will provide him with 3x the speed that he currently has like in the last video I posted? My solution means he can keep his laptop, keep his favourite editing software of choice and stay in the same Apple OS ecosystem he is currently in.....and he can have it all NOW! Not wait for 5G, not wait and see if he can upgrade a $1100 iPad, not have to try new software that won't work with his current projects. Again, show me a $400-$500 upgrade he can make to get 3-4x better performance.

You keep suggesting unknown technology champ. You win lunatic of the day!

The viable options for improving performance in Resolve from cheapest to most expensive are pretty much:

1) Get an eGPU

2) Get a desktop computer (Might be more expensive than option 3 if you get the cheese grater)

3) Get a new laptop (15" MacBook Pro if Apple)

Option 1) is cheapest and most portable, so it's definitely a sane choice even if it might not give the highest performance. The other options will be at least twice as expensive (and 4 times as expensive if you stay with apple).If an 570/580 is good enough, then go for it. The question is whether or not it's good enough.

When it comes to computers, it's better to buy cheaper for what you need today than to buy expensive in anticipation for what the future might look like.

No your choice is to dump slow ass Apple laptops, and buy a PC box or Laptop. I don't edit on any of my Apples Laptops.

What is wrong with gaming benchmarks? They use the Fastest CPU, Fastest GPU, and the Fastest Memory. So for editing you are going to use the slowest of all of that? You can go on BMD website and see what they recommend and it is perfectly suited for gaming. A fast, powerful computer is a fast, powerful computer no matter what you use it for.

On 7/2/2019 at 1:23 AM, webrunner5 said:

What is wrong with gaming benchmarks? They use the Fastest CPU, Fastest GPU, and the Fastest Memory. So for editing you are going to use the slowest of all of that? You can go on BMD website and see what they recommend and it is perfectly suited for gaming. A fast, powerful computer is a fast, powerful computer no matter what you use it for.

Image 1. As you can see below, the RX580 does not rate as highly as a comparatively priced GTX1060 on the comparisons you linked to. Also note how much lower a score the RX580 got compared to the 1070.

308670038_ScreenShot2019-07-03at7_34_30am.png.044ccdf657845ead16f7bdf480213804.png

Image 2. But, in Davinci Resolve below, for many tasks, the RX580 outperforms the GTX1060 by 20% and is actually closer in performance to the GTX1070 despite it rating way below the 1070 on your gaming benchmark.

65101563_ScreenShot2019-07-03at7_35_53am.thumb.png.9f6d2dcc52f4a47ee2a5264c952a4dfc.png

564838077_ScreenShot2019-07-03at7_42_38am.png.f31f251a53e19ed57df0d27f88ed2eac.png

I Never said the RX 580 was bad. You are just making shit up. And Oh the GTX 1060 crashes in 8K . I am sure we are all using 8K. Please show us your Red VV 8K footage you shot last night.

And I can see you neatly cut out the part at the bottom about the Nvidia cards. Well done. And you are comparing a 6GB card to a 8GB. And you are talking cards that are old as the hills now. Even the AMD. Any NVIDIA card without an i at the end of it is a low end card. Has been that way for years and years. Sort of like BMW cars.

I Never said the RX 580 was bad

And I never said you did! Sorry, who's making shit up?

I'm just showing you that while a gaming benchmark might show one card scoring considerably lower than another, when using a real world editing test, the results can be very different to what you might expect if you just look at gaming scores. That...is....all.

And that test was not only 8k....yet that's what you chose to focus in on. It was an overall test and included plenty of 4k ProRes as well. 

And I can see you neatly cut out the part at the bottom about the Nvidia cards. Well done.

Yes, I cut that out as it relates to Titan cards....the are superior to any current AMD card, out of most peoples budget, irrelevant for Apple users and probably overkill in an eGPU enclosure. 

Take your blinkers off! The world is not black and white like you seem to see it. Benchmarks are not everything.

Despite me providing more than one real world test that shows the performance gains that can be had with an RX570 and 580, which you seem to have ignored (i wonder why?) you still stick to gaming benchmarks. Strange.

You may have a computer science degree, but not sure you posses any logical thinking abilities.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for your information and ...  spirited debate :) 

I've ordered the Razer Core X eGPU chassis, and am really tempted by the new Radeon RX 5700 card.  

For my application it needs to be natively supported as an eGPU under Mac OSX, and Apple don't support any Nvidia cards which is a bummer.  Also, apparently Apple are slow to have support for the newer cards so it might be a few months wait :( 
I was looking at the Vega 64 until I heard that the 5700 had just been released, and a couple of years does make a difference in tech like this so it's probably the smart move.  The 64 has a score of 11880 and the 5700 has a score of 12663 which are way better than cards like the 580.

The 580 or Vega 56 are the best bang-for-buck looking at second-hand deals on ebay, but the wife wants a card that has VR capability, and after spending money on the chassis it's not a huge additional cost for the extra performance.

Yeah even the 580, although a good card, is getting Long in the Tooth as they say now. Video cards get pretty dated pretty quick sad to say. Not so much with CPUs. I think down the road there might not even be CPUs in computers. They are pretty weak now compared to what a GPU can do in this day and age.

• 7 months later...