S1 Anyone?

Walter H

Does anybody know what type of card is mandatory to take advantage of the new vlog recording ? From what I've read, xqd is only needed for 180fps. I guess, a v90 sd card would be sufficient for everything else ?

Damn, I haven't got the needed money to buy this monster, but big sales are putting it right now at a decent price... and make me feel less in need for money ?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, liamlumiere said:

Anyone know how long it takes for Panasonic to send upgrade software key? It's been ages since I claimed mine, at least 7 mins...

How/where did you do this exactly? I thought it wasn't being released until July 31? 

39 minutes ago, Parker said:

How/where did you do this exactly? I thought it wasn't being released until July 31? 

If you are asking about the firmware update, the link has already been posted up thread. If you have an activated software key, the V-Log, etc. will be unlocked as a part of fw 1.2.

44 minutes ago, Parker said:

In case you missed it elsewhere, here's the link:

https://promotions.panasonic.co.uk/promotions/promotions/view_terms/299

Go to Claim Now and follow instructions. You must take a photo of sticker on your box with serial & model no. etc and also upload a copy of your receipt of purchase. It says it could take up to 28 days to receive it though. 

Thanks @Walter H @liamlumiere I appreciate the answers! Looks like every country/region has a little bit different way of receiving the upgrade, which is kind of annoying.  As I'm located in the USA, the UK-redemption isn't what I'm looking for. I purchased the camera through B&H and registered with Panasonic the day I got it, I'll just have to be patient! 

On 7/7/2019 at 2:51 PM, sanveer said:

I hope Panasonic implement the algorithms on the GH5 and GH5s. 

As Towd said, the autofocus improvements in the S1 are a combination of new algorithms, dedicated AF chip, and new lens motor designs in the L series lenses. They are working together to try to eliminate or at least dampen the pulsing effect (its seems to be way less noticeable in firmware v1.2) in Panasonics DfD.

On 7/7/2019 at 3:48 PM, Towd said:

I'm not sure the GH5 has the hardware to pull all the tricks the S1 can for autofocus, but it would be nice to see at least some of the S1 features trickle down into a GH5 update.

Personally,  I'm less interested in purchasing a full frame camera, but I think what we're seeing in the S1 may be a good indication of what to expect in a GH6.  Would love to see some kind of Varicam color engine with 10 bit color and full V-Log in all of it's shooting modes.  Hopefully we'll hear something about it when Panasonic releases the 10-25mm lens into the wild.  I know I heard somewhere that Panasonic has begun work on it.

I'm in the same boat. I prefer lighter and smaller kit with good features. I think they need to nail a few key areas for the GH6 to be a hit.

1. Improve upon the IBIS; 7.5 stops minimum with an OIS lens.

2. Improve high ISO performance.

3. More megapixels for stills photography.

4. 14 stops minimum for dynamic range

5. A L-mount to MFT adapter with a built in ND of some sort, electronic or otherwise to increase the synergy with their L-Mount.

Anyway, the S1 seems to becoming a compelling camera. Hope its not too late...

I doubt the S1 is actually getting 14 stops of dynamic range in video. But yeah more dynamic range would be nice. 

I personally think the GH5S sensor is amazing, but it was better utilized in the Pocket 4k. Something with Pocket 4k capabilities + IBIS and good auto focus would be game changing IMHO. 

3 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I doubt the S1 is actually getting 14 stops of dynamic range in video. But yeah more dynamic range would be nice. 

I personally think the GH5S sensor is amazing, but it was better utilized in the Pocket 4k. Something with Pocket 4k capabilities + IBIS and good auto focus would be game changing IMHO. 

No idea if their tests are relevant, but cinema5D measured the dynamic range :

DR-Panasonic-S1-HEVC-HLG-ISO-400--640x36

Given the first Vlog tests on youtube, it really seems to have quite more dynamic range with it, so it will end up not being to bad !!

6 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

As Towd said, the autofocus improvements in the S1 are a combination of new algorithms, dedicated AF chip, and new lens motor designs in the L series lenses. They are working together to try to eliminate or at least dampen the pulsing effect (its seems to be way less noticeable in firmware v1.2) in Panasonics DfD.

I'm in the same boat. I prefer lighter and smaller kit with good features. I think they need to nail a few key areas for the GH6 to be a hit.

5. A L-mount to MFT adapter with a built in ND of some sort, electronic or otherwise to increase the synergy with their L-Mount.

The adapter is not going to happen unless you can fit it into 0.75mm of space because that's the difference in flange distance for L to mFT mount. So it will probably still be more attractive to go with native lenses or a focal reducer and a DSLR lens. An EF focal reducer with electrical contacts (for AF, aperture, IS, EXIF, etc.) and integrated ND, now that would probably be a product that's equal to printing money if it could be optically done.

4 hours ago, Geoff_L said:

No idea if their tests are relevant, but cinema5D measured the dynamic range :

DR-Panasonic-S1-HEVC-HLG-ISO-400--640x36

Given the first Vlog tests on youtube, it really seems to have quite more dynamic range with it, so it will end up not being to bad !!

Any link of this ?

11 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

Yea the GH6 has to be packed full of features to compete with all of the new full-frame video cameras coming out (and especially the S1H). 

I would says the biggest thing it can do to survive is to have internal NDs and internal raw recording. Anything less than that at it's probable price point of $2-2.5k and it will be a tough sell. 

With all of the S1 updates and the future S1H, along with new native lenses being released, I'm moving to full L-Mount gradually. Looking forward to the three new Sigma lenses being announced tomorrow. 

• 3 weeks later...

Is the S1 able to "decouple" shutter speed, ISO, etc. settings when switching between photo and video modes ala the X-T3 or Nikon Z's? I've been searching the menus & online but I'm not finding any mention. 

Really hoping there is a selection to be made that when I turn to video on the mode dial, it reverts to the previous video settings rather than the last photo settings.

(keeping the Vlog image thread about the Vlog image.)

8 hours ago, Walter H said:

Is the S1 able to "decouple" shutter speed, ISO, etc. settings when switching between photo and video modes ala the X-T3 or Nikon Z's? I've been searching the menus & online but I'm not finding any mention. 

Really hoping there is a selection to be made that when I turn to video on the mode dial, it reverts to the previous video settings rather than the last photo settings.

(keeping the Vlog image thread about the Vlog image.)

edit: more or less answering my own question. Seems there is no way to de-couple settings as I hoped. Will rely upon setting up the custom modes for video as needed.