S1 Anyone?

Walter H

• Super Members

I would definitely had preferred the 400mbit Canon way or Panasonics lovely 200mbit HD.

I will pre-order the FF Sigma Foveon as soon as it's announced. And then a used S1 could make sense as a b-cam.

Or I will get another SD Quattro and snag some SD lenses which should drop when the system is more or less dead. They can be used on Sony as well so they aren't too bad to hold on to.

The Last mount might actually turn them into the most affordable lenses around for Sony.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Wonder why they gave up on H.265 for H.264?

Nobody seems to be debating this, but I suspect the h.265 algorithms have some issues with detail and efficiently and processor handling. It was introduced even before the Samsung NX1 and the adoption hasn't really been as widespread as it should have.

Edit: I read this immediately after posting this. Apparently the adoption not being widespread is due to Patent issues and the greed for making more money and the various levels of users. They should just make it free, instead of trying to kill other codecs and extort money from adopters. 

https://www.een.com/h-265/

Panasonic bringing the heat with DFD autofocus. 

Also, why does Pany's 1080p look more detailed than downscaled 4k from the A7III in the second half of the video?  Anyone think that's the lenses or sharpness settings?  Or is there just some crazy good imaging mojo in the S1?

Crazy good Mojo. Sony right now has some of the best, most modern lenses out there now, and a lot of them as of late. But they are not giving away the best ones.  I guess Panasonic must have a clue of how to make Depth by Defocus work down the road or they would have caved in by now. But it is hurting them no doubt. They may have hitched their wagon to the wrong horse.

But all this Patent stuff is getting ridiculous as of late. I would imagine why they have went this route. I think it is hurting Society as a whole, not helping like intended. They need to re work it somehow. The greater good of Mankind has to be above the greater good of a select few. Very, very damn few it seems of late.

That Zeiss lens is so terrible for video, the focus breathing is soo bad.

Yeah i have a feeling once if they combine AI and DFD together the AF will be much better, current firmware makes me think they work independently of each other argh, cant wait to try the new firmware! 

On 7/3/2019 at 4:31 AM, sanveer said:

Edit: I read this immediately after posting this. Apparently the adoption not being widespread is due to Patent issues and the greed for making more money and the various levels of users. They should just make it free, instead of trying to kill other codecs and extort money from adopters. 

https://www.een.com/h-265/

This is exactly why companies started the AV1 consortium to take on H.265 and it’s crazy parent issues buy building their own codec jointly. Google, Amazon, Netflix, and now Apple are part of AV1.

1. To put pressure on the patent holders to change the usage terms

2. To just outright replace it if they don’t.

Funnily enough, Apple has been putting in dedicated H.265 hardware in their T2 chips and phones.

I don’t expect AV1 to be in any devices widespread for a long time though.

5 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

This is exactly why companies started the AV1 consortium to take on H.265 and it’s crazy parent issues buy building their own codec jointly. Google, Amazon, Netflix, and now Apple are part of AV1.

1. To put pressure on the patent holders to change the usage terms

2. To just outright replace it if they don’t.

Funnily enough, Apple has been putting in dedicated H.265 hardware in their T2 chips and phones.

I don’t expect AV1 to be in any devices widespread for a long time though.

Google has VP9 with some tall claims on quality. I am not sure why that hasn't by default, found adopters, considering it's free and they YouTube adopts it too.

H.265 seems to have contributed to the financial failure of the NX1 project IMO.

Hopefully h.264 finds a good replacement, and soon. 

19 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Updated video

The s1 seems better than the A7iii in certain shots. It's slightly slower to acquire focus on the face, but faster to transition to the background. Plus the A7iii transition is not smooth, maybe its oriented more for stills. Also the A7iii ead struggling a little when the guy was far and face was tiny in the frame. 

I hope Panasonic implement the algorithms on the GH5 and GH5s. 

Just an info after having browse the manual and watch stuffs about it.  The Ex. tele converter function that works on the gh5, g9 (and others I guess), which is, I believe, similar to Sony's "clear zoom", is present on the S1. This, combined with the really effective ibis ("the hybrid shooter" on YT says it is close to the G9, when using IS2 with a compatible lens), is really appealing to me. Even if autofocus appears to be "meh" with the sigma MC21 adapter, it is possible to use lenses like the Canon 200 f2.8, and make it a really versatile tool by using the crop mode + Ex teleconverter. Same for the sigma 100-400 etc. Some guys on YT post a lot of birding video + photo samples with the Sony A7iii + mc11 + sigma 150-600 + clear zoom, and the results are very good ; at least from a "poor man's" versatile wildlife kit. With the S1, you add on top of that a very effective ibis...

Too bad, prices are quite high ?

46 minutes ago, sanveer said:

The s1 seems better than the A7iii in certain shots. It's slightly slower to acquire focus on the face, but faster to transition to the background. Plus the A7iii transition is not smooth, maybe its oriented more for stills. Also the A7iii ead struggling a little when the guy was far and face was tiny in the frame. 

I hope Panasonic implement the algorithms on the GH5 and GH5s. 

I'm not sure the GH5 has the hardware to pull all the tricks the S1 can for autofocus, but it would be nice to see at least some of the S1 features trickle down into a GH5 update.

Personally,  I'm less interested in purchasing a full frame camera, but I think what we're seeing in the S1 may be a good indication of what to expect in a GH6.  Would love to see some kind of Varicam color engine with 10 bit color and full V-Log in all of it's shooting modes.  Hopefully we'll hear something about it when Panasonic releases the 10-25mm lens into the wild.  I know I heard somewhere that Panasonic has begun work on it.

2 hours ago, Towd said:

I'm not sure the GH5 has the hardware to pull all the tricks the S1 can for autofocus, but it would be nice to see at least some of the S1 features trickle down into a GH5 update.

Personally,  I'm less interested in purchasing a full frame camera, but I think what we're seeing in the S1 may be a good indication of what to expect in a GH6.  Would love to see some kind of Varicam color engine with 10 bit color and full V-Log in all of it's shooting modes.  Hopefully we'll hear something about it when Panasonic releases the 10-25mm lens into the wild.  I know I heard somewhere that Panasonic has begun work on it.

I hope you're right. I like the S1, but it's too large for me, and too overpriced (the zooms more than anything else). It's got some superb dynamic range though, and from the videos with the VLog, it does seem to be hitting it outside the park.

I hope the GH6 gets more dynamic range. I love the size of it, and the feature set would be perfect for me with just a few tweaks for video. If they could squeeze an ND in there somewhere, it would be great.

Once the GH6 is announced, M43 users would be certain that Panasonic isn't abandoning the format. The Panasonic G95 / G90 and 10-25mm f1.7 zoom aren't really enough for convincing customers otherwise. 

1 hour ago, sanveer said:

I hope you're right. I like the S1, but it's too large for me, and too overpriced (the zooms more than anything else). It's got some superb dynamic range though, and from the videos with the VLog, it does seem to be hitting it outside the park.

I'm with you, I find the m43 format to be just outstanding for video work and really enjoy the smaller form factor, so I'd love to see some of the imaging mojo of the S1 compressed into a new m43 product.

I just realized the 10-25mm zoom is possibly releasing this month which may be too soon for a GH6 announcement.  Maybe we'll hear more this fall.  Here's a link to a video where the director of Panasonic's imaging department discusses the possibility of new m43 models.  (It's at the 2 minute mark.)  He doesn't come out and confirm anything, but he reaffirms Panasonic's commitment to m43 and stats that they are looking into products based on the format.  So, I can only assume a GH6 is in the mix...

Not to derail an S1 thread though, he does have some interesting thoughts regarding DFD vs phase detect focusing in all panasonic cameras toward the end.  From what he says, he seems open to considering other focusing solutions if that will give Panasonic better performance in the future, but he believes contrast AF is the most accurate and that is why it is the system they currently use.