S1 Anyone?

Walter H

9 hours ago, Walter H said:

Appreciate that choice, and I hope this thread can remain focused upon people's current experiences, what's working for them (us since I plan to purchase one in the next few weeks), how they have been able to work around limits, what feels/feeds creativity.

Nothing wrong with a bit of balance...

I like it in some respects and it was on the list, but ultimately also dismissed it due to; size/weight and no lenses currently that suit my needs. Nikon's Z6 is a better choice for me and came very close to ordering one yesterday, but decided even that did not have enough over Fuji's XT3 to sway me at this time so was not worth all the hassle of changing systems to gain next to nada.

But that's not to take anything away from the Panny as it looks to be a great camera with a lot of potential to come.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

One thing that made me crazy is this stupid app from panasonic to transfer foto.when a wifi router is near, they connect to it and lose connection to the camera.last weeding i want transfer some screengrabs from video to but it on insta, but it was impossibile because this problem ?

The AF works ok, if only 1 person is in scene, but with multiple is very jumpy.i have tested standard settings and extended.Second seems to react faster but with more pumping. So i use 90% MF with peaking. I think one of the best, on par with Atomos recorders. The size and weight for me are optimal, you can handheld it with a focus loop and you have a tripod style experience

SAVE_20190613_194234.jpg

New firmware coming soon, improved IS and AF performance

Improved image stabilization performance: Panasonic claims that with firmware v1.1, the in-body IS system will reduce shake by an additional 1/2-stop, for a total of 6 stops with non-stabilized lenses and 6.5 stops with Dual IS-compatible glass.

Improved AF performance: Panasonic claims that tracking performance live view display will be improved, and new AF-on options have been added.

Tracking performance during video recording has been improved

Live view display during autofocusing is now 'easier to see'

A new AF-ON: Near Shift biases toward close subjects, while Far Shift does the opposite

This dude on Youtube released some files for download showing the standard S1 profile vs the new v-log 10-bit: 

Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUWr1dJ6Gr8

Download here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tbeah6el1et55yo/AABBQs0-OL_THPUekwm6sWRba?dl=0

I had a quick go at the files, the v-log is definitely saving some blown out highlights in the sky over the standard profile, top is standard, bottom is my grade of V-Log: 

standard.jpg

v-log.jpg

15 minutes ago, Parker said:

This dude on Youtube released some files for download showing the standard S1 profile vs the new v-log 10-bit: 

Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUWr1dJ6Gr8

Download here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tbeah6el1et55yo/AABBQs0-OL_THPUekwm6sWRba?dl=0

I had a quick go at the files, the v-log is definitely saving some blown out highlights in the sky over the standard profile, top is standard, bottom is my grade of V-Log: 

standard.jpg

v-log.jpg

The highlight retention is good.I think on par with HLG. I don't now if is worth the hassle to grade, but from your sample the colors are very realistic, not slog like, that are very unnatural...

5 hours ago, Simon Young said:

V-LOG colors looking good. Youtube-compression makes it hard to judge the codec though.

I think it looks pretty good. Almost any video viewed via the web is going to get compressed because its the dominate distribution format today. The output in this video looks good to me.

16 hours ago, Simon Young said:

V-LOG colors looking good. Youtube-compression makes it hard to judge the codec though.

Terribly noisy, very contradty, crushed blacks and the video resolution looks like 720p or something. Maybe a bad job shooting it and then working on it in post. I hope they take it down. Not good publicity with the best video FF camera around. 

This upgrade is a move in the right direction and being able to use v-log on the S1 looks super sweet! Awesome job panasonic!

I still question panasonics decision to cripple the VFR mode of the S1, which I'm guessing the sole reason is to differentiate it from the GH5/S1H(?). But it's still a $2500 system camera and being able to use full manual is a big selling point with any system camera. If you want full auto you go and buy the cheaper pocket cameras ?

I think it's a big drawback that I wish they would address.

• Administrators

Yes it is H.264 10bit, and not H.265 like the existing 72Mbit 10bit mode.

Remember that Long GOP codecs after 150Mbit aren't going to benefit much from a further increase in bitrate, but 100Mbit H.264 looks a little on the low side to me... At least for 10bit.

7 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Remember that Long GOP codecs after 150Mbit aren't going to benefit much from a further increase in bitrate

Ok, interesting. 

7 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

but 100Mbit H.264 looks a little on the low side to me... At least for 10bit.

Curiously the 25p and 30p are at 150mbps, and yet, the 24p is limited to 100mbps (all at h.264). Not sure what Panasonic is upto, but this is not terribly inspiring, as a company policy.

https://www.panasonicff.com/panasonic-lumix-s1-s1r-firmware-version-1-1-announced-improves-image-stabilization-and-af-performance/

31 minutes ago, sanveer said:

Ok, interesting. 

Curiously the 25p and 30p are at 150mbps, and yet, the 24p is limited to 100mbps (all at h.264). Not sure what Panasonic is upto, but this is not terribly inspiring, as a company policy.

https://www.panasonicff.com/panasonic-lumix-s1-s1r-firmware-version-1-1-announced-improves-image-stabilization-and-af-performance/

Its 150 mbps  at 24 4k too

Look in the video screenshots

s1a.png

s1b.png

• Administrators

Ah 150Mbit as well, ok. Well that's not too shabby... Like a Nikon Z6 but 10bit internal!

Wonder why they gave up on H.265 for H.264?

By the way, I'm not too worried about the lower bitrates, although I do wish it had ALL-I like the S1H... That is where you need the really high bitrate and large file sizes though to maintain quality per frame.