S1 Anyone?

Walter H

I know folks are pretty peaked about Panny's forthcoming S1H, but is anyone here shooting with the S1 and looking forward to the firmware update with VLOG, etc.? 

Curious about current experiences, what systems you have come from previously, and anything else. The S1 will likely bring me back to Panasonic (from Fujifilm) since the GH2/3/4 for a hybrid camera.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

I am enjoying it.

The firmware / V-LOG / codec is out in about 2 weeks and is already being tested.

Definitely the most feature packed pro mirrorless cameras, more modern tech than the Sony bodies and one the best images you can get.

Downsides? It's a big beast of a camera, definitely not 'mirrorless size' by the usual sense of it, definitely more like a DSLR with no mirror. Autofocus cannot be relied on for video and the Sigma MC-21 adapter has been very disappointing so far.

I've only had an S1 available to me for about two weeks now. I've shot more stills than video — raw files hold detail really well even at 12800 iso — though I haven't quite gotten the hang of how the sensor fully works, recoverable detail almost seems split between shadows and highlights and will just take some practice and getting used to. Pretty robust sensor though! 

For video, the HLG profile is holding dynamic range very well, definitely a leg-up on the GH5 and NX1 that I'm coming from. Color seems fantastic. I've used the 24-105 kit lens for a couple quick, close-up b-roll shots and autofocus worked surprisingly well. Manual focus, even by wire, is surprisingly good too, lots of options and is repeatable. 

Ergonomically I like the camera — nice and beefy grip — some of the buttons are a bit spongy for my taste though. I shot a quick interview handheld the other day just using the video enhance IS (similar to the GH5's IS Lock) and I was definitely feeling the weight of the camera by the end of it, especially with the vertical grip. I'm very excited to see the big new VLOG update though, 14 stops of DR and V-gamut, this is going to be a beast of a camera. 

Cool. 

I've spent time (well over an hour) with it in my hands and capturing images in two different shops. Having never owned a full-frame DSLR, the size is an adjustment but what I think about more is what it will be like to point it at people relative to my X-T3. It is so much more conspicuous. 

But I am sooo impressed with the build of the camera and the color is exceptional, the possibility of high-quality audio (the pre-amps on the X-T3 are reasonable but the Z6 is deplorable), no record limits for 24/25/30p 4k make it viable for interviews (and my C100mkII can be a b-cam), stills far exceed the the flexibility of the X-T3 for event shooting (high-DR & high-ISO scenarios), etc. I've rarely relied on C-AF for video (wait - lying... C100mkII all the time - but those cameras can fill different niches.)

5 minutes ago, Parker said:

I've only had an S1 available to me for about two weeks now. I've shot more stills than video — raw files hold detail really well even at 12800 iso — though I haven't quite gotten the hang of how the sensor fully works, recoverable detail almost seems split between shadows and highlights and will just take some practice and getting used to. Pretty robust sensor though! 

For video, the HLG profile is holding dynamic range very well, definitely a leg-up on the GH5 and NX1 that I'm coming from. Color seems fantastic. I've used the 24-105 kit lens for a couple quick, close-up b-roll shots and autofocus worked surprisingly well. Manual focus, even by wire, is surprisingly good too, lots of options and is repeatable. 

Ergonomically I like the camera — nice and beefy grip — some of the buttons are a bit spongy for my taste though. I shot a quick interview handheld the other day just using the video enhance IS (similar to the GH5's IS Lock) and I was definitely feeling the weight of the camera by the end of it, especially with the vertical grip. I'm very excited to see the big new VLOG update though, 14 stops of DR and V-gamut, this is going to be a beast of a camera. 

Interesting. I would be purchasing this as a true hybrid stills/high-end video camera. 

I've shot (in shops) and downloads raw files that I can find. I've had a notion that the files respond "differently" while I worked them in Capture One relative to the Fuji. Without question, tho, is the ability to recover shadows cleanly relative to the Fuji - such an improvement.

I've written this elsewhere and on my first ever camera review, but the S1 is the most professional-feeling mirrorless camera I've ever used. In my opinion, it is perhaps the first true professional mirrorless outside of the GH5. I've used the A7s, A7rII, GH5, and EOS R. The GH5 has hung around, but the rest were all returned or sold. Yes, it's bigger than the rest, but once you put a lens on it, the difference isn't terribly noticeable than any other full-frame camera (and still feels a bit smaller/lighter than any full-frame DLSR). 

Compared to Sony, Panasonic's IBIS is superb, as is its color science and general image. The image quality is fantastic and I can't wait for the 10-bit and V-Log update - I think that will be a big step up. Image quality feels on par with the EVA-1 or C300 that are often my A-Cam already when they are all set to a Rec709 image. 

I really hope Panasonic or Sigma get some native f2 primes out for it fast, because I'm not on board with the giant f1.4 lenses most manufacturers seem to be creating now. I use pretty much Contax Zeiss lenses with it and it's a great combo. The AF with the 24-105mm is really very decent in video and I don't notice a huge difference for normal subjects (people walking, one-man interview AF) than with the EOS R. But I'm manually focusing video 98% of the time, so I don't really mind if the AF isn't great and the Sigma adapter AF isn't great. For native glass, the AF in photos mode is very fast - don't notice it to be any slower than Canon or Sony for the photos I take. 

My only gripe with it right now is the lens selection - in a few months, Canon will have a great selection of RF native glass and their adapters work flawlessly. Sony has an amazing lens lineup now and the lenses Zeiss are making for them are awesome as well. Same with Fuji - worth buying into that system solely for the lenses and compact size and I've thought about it. 

But all in all, the S1 is the most professional full-frame mirrorless camera out there. The only thing that competes on specs and usability is the GH5, but the S1 definitely seems to have a lot more detail in the image and the full V-Log coming seems like it will give it the best dynamic range in the mirrorless game. 

--

With all that said, I'd guess I'll buy the S1H when it comes out, unless there is a crop in 4K or just in general doesn't live up to the hype. But I have a feeling there are some serious goodies awaiting us (still holding out hope for an internal ND...)

1 hour ago, currensheldon said:

Image quality feels on par with the EVA-1 or C300 that are often my A-Cam already when they are all set to a Rec709 image. 

What profiles have you been shooting with? Prefer to shoot with?

I really hope Panasonic or Sigma get some native f2 primes out for it fast, because I'm not on board with the giant f1.4 lenses most manufacturers seem to be creating now.

+1

1 hour ago, omega1978 said:

I am happy with it, is a robust camera with nice foto feature(post fokus) , good raw files, robust HLG and 4k50p and unlimited in 25p. Last weedings was me A cam and i like it 

Mixture of HLG and 4k50p Flat, osmo pocket and Mavic2p

Really well done. I am sure the Bride and Groom were thrilled with it. Congrats.

I own the S1 and the x-t3 and the latter surely feels like a toy in comparison (I used to own the a7riii too and while I loved the output when it came to photos I never managed to warm to the wonky colors and ergonomics on the video side).

I really like the S1 and can only agree with what is written above. I use it with M-mount voigtlanders so I’m not really concerned with the sub par autofocus. I’m extremely excited about the 10bit internal vlog and pairing it with @Sage‘s Alexa lut.

Thinking about switching my x-t3 to a GH5s but I think I love the Fuji too much.

With regards to size: my Fuji paired with the 23mm f1.4 is taking up just as much space in my bag as the s1 with the Voigtländer 40mm f1.2. The Panasonic setup is a lot heavier though. 

DF44ABA1-EA85-4F0B-9E99-C8A0471A1CB8.jpeg

36 minutes ago, Simon Young said:

I own the S1 and the x-t3 and the latter surely feels like a toy in comparison (I used to own the a7riii too and while I loved the output when it came to photos I never managed to warm to the wonky colors and ergonomics on the video side).

I really like the S1 and can only agree with what is written above. I use it with M-mount voigtlanders so I’m not really concerned with the sub par autofocus. I’m extremely excited about the 10bit internal vlog and pairing it with @Sage‘s Alexa lut.

Thinking about switching my x-t3 to a GH5s but I think I love the Fuji too much.

With regards to size: my Fuji paired with the 23mm f1.4 is taking up just as much space in my bag as the s1 with the Voigtländer 40mm f1.2. The Panasonic setup is a lot heavier though. 

DF44ABA1-EA85-4F0B-9E99-C8A0471A1CB8.jpeg

Love this. I love my Contax lenses, but for compact, lightweight, and fast lenses (f1.4 or faster), there aren't many options. The 50mm f1.4 is a beauty, but the comparable lenses that have the same size and filter thread (both very important to me for gimbal work and filters) are all 2.8.

But I have definitely been eyeing all of the f1.2 variants of the Voigtlander M-Mount lenses. Might have to make the switch soon. Plus that 21mm f1.8 is very tempting. 

Anyone have any comparisons of the Contax Zeiss and Voigtlanders? 

I also love the tiny adapters needed for M-Mount. The Sigma MC-21 adapter adds a good 150-grams of bulk on every lens, which isn't ideal. 

20 minutes ago, currensheldon said:

Love this. I love my Contax lenses, but for compact, lightweight, and fast lenses (f1.4 or faster), there aren't many options. The 50mm f1.4 is a beauty, but the comparable lenses that have the same size and filter thread (both very important to me for gimbal work and filters) are all 2.8.

But I have definitely been eyeing all of the f1.2 variants of the Voigtlander M-Mount lenses. Might have to make the switch soon. Plus that 21mm f1.8 is very tempting. 

Anyone have any comparisons of the Contax Zeiss and Voigtlanders? 

I also love the tiny adapters needed for M-Mount. The Sigma MC-21 adapter adds a good 150-grams of bulk on every lens, which isn't ideal. 

Yeah, this really gets me going. @Simon Young How well does the 40 perform wide open? What about fringing and CA?

I had the m-mount CV 35/1.2 for quite a while: first on an M3, then a NEX-7, and I sold it around GH-3 time. The CA wide open on the digital sensor was strong and only really mitigated by f2.8 or so. I am, however, thinking of a Minolta Rokkor 40/2 as a walk-around lens. The CLE version.

On 6/27/2019 at 11:50 AM, currensheldon said:

I really hope Panasonic or Sigma get some native f2 primes out for it fast, because I'm not on board with the giant f1.4 lenses most manufacturers seem to be creating now. I

This is full frame and DOF hype my friend. With the higher resolution sensors the optics need to be able to resolve all those details. The lenses get quite big when they have AF and OIS.

On 6/28/2019 at 12:47 PM, Video Hummus said:

This is full frame and DOF hype my friend. With the higher resolution sensors the optics need to be able to resolve all those details. The lenses get quite big when they have AF and OIS.

Agreed, but lenses like the Zeiss Batis line or even Sony's f1.8-line are very compact and lightweight and the Batis and Sony 55mm f1.8 are still known to be some of the sharpest lenses out there. So, it is possible to make compact,  high-performing f1.8 - f2 full frame lenses. The Sony 24mm f1.4 is only 450 grams and it has received rave reviews. For 4K video, my old Contax Zeiss are plenty sharp and do a fine job resolving detail. 

2 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Great specs and impressive viewfinder and video.

Poor AF, expensive lenses, and a large body turned me away from it.

Appreciate that choice, and I hope this thread can remain focused upon people's current experiences, what's working for them (us since I plan to purchase one in the next few weeks), how they have been able to work around limits, what feels/feeds creativity.