Good Fast SSD to edit with macbook pro

Aquilasfx

Hello my new MacBook Pro,

have only 500gb of ssd inside. I would like to buy a new working external portable solution ssd to use for projects where I,m working, then I usually backup in an external Drobo and on cloud as well.

I found this solution:

- Sandisk ssd extreme portable 1TB USB3 (max 500mb/s) around 180eur

-and this extreme samsung x5... but it costs too much

Do you think that working with videos (resolve) with sandisk is a good solution, or would lag with 500mb/s?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The main difference from the T3 is speed and a better case..

"The big differentiating factor with the T5 revolves around the addition of USB 3.1 Gen 2 support. The previous T3 SSDs supported USB 3.1 Gen 1, which is basically just glorified USB 3.0. With USB 3.1 Gen 2 in tow, Samsung is able to achieve higher speeds — up to 540MB/s compared to the T3’s 450MB/s max. Multiple Blackmagic Disk Speed Tests resulted in read speeds that often came close to the maximum theoretical speed.".

From this article.  https://9to5mac.com/2017/08/17/hands-on-samsung-t5-external-ssd-a-worthy-faster-follow-up-to-the-popular-samsung-t3-video/

8 hours ago, Aquilasfx said:

400$ for 1tb..... too much. That write/read speed is really needed to work on the fly with external disk? Can’t be sufficient t3 or Sandisk Extreme portable as you told before?

You can get a 2TB evo 860 for that much, fast enough to work on the fly, it's what I use now.

On 6/27/2019 at 7:49 PM, Aquilasfx said:

Hello my new MacBook Pro,

have only 500gb of ssd inside. I would like to buy a new working external portable solution ssd to use for projects where I,m working, then I usually backup in an external Drobo and on cloud as well.

I found this solution:

- Sandisk ssd extreme portable 1TB USB3 (max 500mb/s) around 180eur

-and this extreme samsung x5... but it costs too much

Do you think that working with videos (resolve) with sandisk is a good solution, or would lag with 500mb/s?

The Sandisk SSD Extreme will work fine and its speeds are very close to the T5. If it is a lot more affordable than the T5 in your part of the world, I'd say GO FOT IT!