Canon Raw Storage/Backup Needs?

villafanephoto

Hello, Everyone.

I am debating whether to jump into the Canon 5D Mark III Raw video capture world, but as I have been researching the topic and equipment further I am now wondering how much data storage and backup will be necessary for larger files.

With estimated calculations of Raw footage being about 7GB per minute, I wanted to ask others who are shooting Raw how much storage space are you finding you need?

Terabytes seem like they would get chewed up quite quickly, so how many are people working with?  4TB?  16TB?  32TB?  And for what size projects?  5min?  30min? 90min?

Futhermore, data storage seems like it could vary dramatically depending on what editing format you end up converting the Raw footage into.  Up till now I've only used ProRes in Final Cut, but I am also seriously entertaining cineform.  It seems to have excellent feedback for a compressed file format, and would probably save space  compared to ProRes, as the Raw>DNG>TIFF>ProRes conversion for editing would require a lot of intermediate files, and storage space.

Finally, I also wanted to ask about computer performance when shooting Raw.  Since I will probably have to invest in an external backup system to get an adequate amount of storage space, I have started to entertain using a RAID system.

Do people find they need a dedicated RAID setup for editing speed now that they shoot Raw instead of H264?

Or is a RAID setup really overkill at this point from a editing performance standpoint?

Thanks so much.  I look forward to the responses.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs