Introducing the SLR Magic anamorphic lens - hands on with new V3 prototype

Andrew Reid

Not sure what, or with whom you are trying to argue at this point. We get it, your'e very interested in this 1.3x adapter, some of us are not and we are entitled to our opinion. 

There is no need to desperately defend some product you've never used, it's okay for people to differ in their preferences. Enjoy the product when it comes out!

And I'm entitled to the opinion that your opinion makes no sense and everyone just wants what they want.  See, people have an opinion and the right to express themselves and in posting that in a forum they are inviting rebuttal and challenging ideas.  They can either rise to that challenge and offer additional support for their opinion or they can just repeat their opinion because there is no supporting information.  Because they just want what they want.  

But under no circumstances does the freedom to express your opinion come with a freedom from commentary, criticism or other rebuttal.  I'm not defending a product so much as challenging ideas that I recognize as emotional and largely impractical or without historic parity.

It's just convenient that my desire for an upgrade to what I already have, something that improves IQ while sacrificing absolutely none of the superior functionality that I enjoy, is perfectly aligned with their evaluation of what product would be most useful to the most amount of potential customers.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It's not really a rebuttal when you are just desperately trying to disparage anyone who differs. we've heard your opinion over and over. Your'e kinda just douching out the thread after every other post at this point.

SLR magic are gonna have to trawl through a page of your ranting for every page of public opinion on what people want from their product.

I'm sorry you have a problem articulating your thoughts better than that.  It's to be expected in most public forums, people just want to express an opinion and have others agree to it.  It amazes me that companies like SLR Magic or BMD even interact with the general public like this.  I applaud their patience or marvel at their masochism, whichever is most appropriate.  There's some douching for you.

You're a little late though.  They're looking for input on coatings now but their inquiries into what ratio, speed and IQ characteristics were important to people started at least a year ago and they've  already heard/read, ad nauseum, pages of input on 1.33, 1.35, 1.37, 1.5 and 2X adapters and so here we are after they've weighed both opinion and practical research.

• Administrators

I don't think the Iscorama is a realistic benchmark for any new anamorphic under $30k on the market. To design and produce one today would be very expensive.

For the indie filmmaking market the problem with the Iscorama is that the price is on a journey far north of $3000 and the rarity is only increasing as people hold onto them. Not many on eBay these days.

Great if you can find one. Great if you can pony up an astonishing amount of dosh for one. Not so great if you can't, and that's where the SLR Magic comes in.

Room for both in my opinion!

They are aiming to get the look as close as possible to what we want as filmmakers. They have my feedback, they have Edwins, they are in touch almost every day. Let's see what they can come out with.

It amazes me that companies like SLR Magic or BMD even interact with the general public like this.  I applaud their patience or marvel at their masochism, whichever is most appropriate.

Actually they are just doing market research. SLR don't want to do anybody a favour - they are only interested in selling their stuff like Zacuto and all the others too!

And for the price of one SLR-Adapter I bought two tiny Möllers and my NonMC Isco 54 which I bought just two or three months ago wasn't more expensive either. And it goes on and on: There are a couple  of Bolex Möllers around right now for less. I saw a 36 for € 250 (Paypal - no SCAM!). (I know of the disadvantages of the Möllers)

Not long ago many people here on the forum were discussing character or the lack of it especially on the Isco 36.

Now the new kids on the block are hyped and everything is about flare and bokeh... but where has the demand for character gone?

As usual Andrew did a great job but to my eyes it could have also been cropped. There is nothing special about the image.

But I am not an expert or pro - just a way to waste time and money but I know a couple of pros and they even don't know Iscoramas.

• Administrators

Rudolf, luck is one thing but what about practical reality?

I got my Iscorama non-MC for 70 euros earlier this year in an obscure Berlin camera store, it took me 4 years of searching and one lucky one off moment the likes of which may never be repeated.

How the heck you are supposed to shoot like that as a working pro, I have no idea.

There's a drought of good anamorphic lenses, and here is a company doing their best to solve the problem.

Tony I love the look of the Moller as well but they are going for sky high prices too now. If you could get that look break but with the ability to rack id sell my car for the damn thing it would be so legendary.

That being said Im still interested in trying slr magics take some day but id have to find out what character an old taking lens can add to it. 

i like the moller 1.5x it is a masterpiece of optical art but that is just my opinion.

solid body very good for windy days cheap to for the price even now in the age of the new.

Andrew: There is no need to feel sorry that you ripped of the guy at that store. ;) 

Chances are high me idiot sold a lovely like new old Leica kit with 3 lenses for under €1.500,- about 8 -9 years ago to the same guy  :wacko:

I started with Super-8 30 years ago but was always more into making music. But as times go by I ended up working mostly as a cutter

for corporate and documentary and doing some 3d stuff and rarely music (all very low budget). 

If SLR-Magic are able to make a good product they deserve financial success. Good luck guys!

And sometimes I have to remind myself that gear is often overrated: "Rudolf stop thinking about the right lens, just go out and pull the trigger!

• 2 months later...