Introducing the SLR Magic anamorphic lens - hands on with new V3 prototype

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
SLR Magic Anamorphic Prototype V3

At the beginning of the IFA show in Berlin, Andrew from SLR Magic dropped by at my studio and dropped off the V2 and V3 anamorphic prototype lenses the company are working on. As long time EOSHD readers will know I am a passionate advocate and shooter of anamorphic.

The SLR Magic anamorphic is the first new lens of it's kind to be announced in many years.

[url=http://www.eoshd.com/content/11138/introducing-the-slr-magic-anamorphic-lens-hands-on-with-new-v3-prototype]Read the full article here[/url]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Very interesting! Great to hear that you are one of the early testers of the lens and have the possibility to feedback to them :)

It surely sounds like they have done their homework and produced a lens that addresses shortcomings with many of the old anamorphics.

Also, can't wait to see your footage with this lens!

J.J. Abrams style flare is an important part of the anamorphic arsenal and on the prototype flare is at the moment untamed! In broad daylight I had Star Trek flare from specular highlights on car bodywork.

Lol.  I didn't really start looking at anamorphic until a couple of months ago.  Over the weekend I saw Star Trek and was like this thing has anamorphic like crazy!

I can't see myself ditching anything for a this unless they make a 1.5 or 2x and completely fix the flares which look like  90's computer graphics at the moment. I love the concept of an affordable, functional anamorphic, but images from the previous test didn't do it for me. That said it's very exciting they are making so much progress, I really hope they make 1.5 or 2x in the future.

Great news Andrew! do you know if this adapter could work on zoom lenses like the Sigma 18-35mm?

I bought a BMCC a month ago and have yet to buy any lenses for it. This may basically do it for me. If it works only with SLR magic's primes, I'll buy those, if it works with the Sigma I'll go with that. 

Any estimated arrival date? Should we expect it this year or the next?