What is the best solution for recording handheld?

Joowe

I have GH5S for inside workshop shots placed in ronin mx but it weighs a lot and I need something lighter for handheld!

I'm thinking of buying something less heavy for handheld but I do not decide between the Panasonic s1 and the kit lens + ninja atoms V, gh5 + 16-35mm stabilised + ninja atoms V or directly Panasonic cx350 (too small sensor and very poor user manual)

I need 4k 422 10bit, as stabilised as possible for handheld use. I would like something FF or super 35 minimum to take advantage of the Canon EF lenses that I have and could use them in the tripod when the situation requires it. I say 422 10bit for the ease of working colors in Davinci.

C200 or Eva1 are not stabilised, S1H is not yet available. The sony's I've had get very hot and I do not expect more from the next a7s III.

I know that Panasonic auto focus is as it is but I work in manual normally.

I prefer good stabilisation and good colors.

???

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 minutes ago, sanveer said:

The Sony A7siii just lost 300 customers (even before being announced). ???

I use a6500  and I heave overheat problems!

I'm not anybody's fanboy.

I have Canon, Sony Panasonic an GoPro.

Take the GH5s off of the ronin? 

Edit: And buy a native OIS lens if you don’t think it’s “stabilized” enough. 

Edit2: I don’t want to sound like a jerk so sorry for my edits, but my original thought was more in terms of like, why spend all this money of a new camera+setup when you have something that you like and actually works for you. I shot a mini doc, run and gun with bmpcc4K and it looks great, so I can’t imagine you would do worse with a GH5s with IBS and OIS lenses. 

There is No Cine cameras that have IBIS in them. So I don't see what the hell you would gain going that way.  And most of them weigh a ton for a good reason. Buy a freaking Osmo Action and just be happy. Why the hell do people think if they buy a better camera they will be better! The camera is the least of most peoples problems.

47 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

There is No Cine cameras that have IBIS in them. So I don't see what the hell you would gain going that way.  And most of them weigh a ton for a good reason. Buy a freaking Osmo Action and just be happy. Why the hell do people think if they buy a better camera they will be better! The camera is the least of most peoples problems.

If we control your vocabulary a bit, I would take you into account.

We are not all born with the camera in hand but we have to adapt to the new.

I'm not going to buy more gimbals and I'm looking for something to make the most of with a camera and a lens recording handheld.

Could you stop being so angry with the answers and abstain if you can not contribute anything?

1 hour ago, Turboguard said:

Take the GH5s off of the ronin? 

Edit: And buy a native OIS lens if you don’t think it’s “stabilized” enough. 

Edit2: I don’t want to sound like a jerk so sorry for my edits, but my original thought was more in terms of like, why spend all this money of a new camera+setup when you have something that you like and actually works for you. I shot a mini doc, run and gun with bmpcc4K and it looks great, so I can’t imagine you would do worse with a GH5s with IBS and OIS lenses. 

It is not bad at all what we are recording in hand with GH5s and, adding a stabilized lens could be a good improvement. Thank you!

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

The camera is the least of most peoples problems.

That's for goddam sure ;)

Keep the GH5s and buy a Sigma 18-35mm. Although that lens is not stabilised, it is heavy enough that it will provide enough stability to the GH5s for handheld. Moreover, you will then have a fucking great cinematic lens and not a characterless native OIS lens.

If your images are still too shakey, you are not breathing correctly. Practice.

The Panasonic 12-35 is a great lense. I'm sure it would be good on a GH5s with stabilization turned on.

If you absolutely need a new camera the S1 is a good option, especially with the pending firmware update.

I'm still incredibly fond of my GH5, whether I'm using an adapted or native lens. The stabilization when using dual IS is great, and is very good even when using a Sigma 18-35 with the Viltrox speedbooster.

4 hours ago, Joowe said:

If we control your vocabulary a bit, I would take you into account.

We are not all born with the camera in hand but we have to adapt to the new.

I'm not going to buy more gimbals and I'm looking for something to make the most of with a camera and a lens recording handheld.

Could you stop being so angry with the answers and abstain if you can not contribute anything?

Well maybe if you learned to hold the camera better and walk with it better you might save yourself a lot of money and aggravation. If you think gear is just magically going to make you tons better well good luck with that happening. There, no cuss words. You think IBIS and OIS has been around for 40 years for video? Oh, how did any one Ever make a movie or a short then.

If you want to buy some kind of Stabilization buy a Stedicam. EVERY electronic Gimbal looks like crap. That stupid floating look. And it has No clue what you want to do as compared to what You tell a Stedicam what to do.

Like I have said 100 times on here. Practice, Practice, Practice. You don't learn this stuff spending your life on YouTube, or even here. This place has turned into a gear forum. You want to make good stuff practice, if you have talent it will come out, if not find a different hobby or profession. You want to find out about the latest gear.. read on.

I shoot handheld with the GH5 and manual non-IS lenses, so I'm familiar with the territory.

There are lots of effective options:

• Keep the GH5S and pick any combination of: put it on a rig (eg, shoulder-rig, easy-rig, gorillapod, etc) that gives more stability / ad an IS lens / shoot a wider lens and add stabilisation in post
  • Get a GH5 and pick any combination of the above
  • Go Olympus which is meant to have the best stabilisation and use any combination of the above
  • Choose a FF / S35 camera and use any combination of the above

I'd suggest you also take into account the whole workflow... Keeping the GH5S will ensure maximum compatibility of files and image / colour in post, getting a GH5 will keep similar image / colour and also share the same lenses, Olympus will share the same lenses and have better stabilisation but different colour, S35 / FF will need different lenses but have different image / colour, etc..

It's all a trade-off.

• Administrators

Everyone should try a gorilla pod for handheld video...

It gives you four points of contact on the body. 2 legs of the pod are on your chest or lower shoulder area, the 3rd leg acts as a handle. The 4th contact point is the EVF of the camera held to the eye.

When you try this, you wonder if you even need IBIS.

IBIS is making us lazy and its floaty.

I am going to shoot a test where I use an X-T3 with the pod, and compare it to X-H1 with IBIS bare bones... See which looks most cinematic and steady.

Obviously the pod isn't going to provide dolly in the sky like movements, but it replicates the look of a steady shoulder rig on the cheap and easy

As cliche as they are, Gorillapods are very popular with vloggers for many good reasons.  Lots of vloggers walk about talking to their DSLRs on Gorillapods, with hardly any bothering with a gimbal, and people aren't going crazy talking about stabilisation for those shots.