Letus35 launch anamorphic lens adapter

bootsie

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Sounds like a rather killer product.  Integral matte box plus the focusing mechanic and what appears to be a large rear element...I'm thinking the market is going to be getting really soft on the ebay lenses.

edit: oh, if you go further through the links it looks like this isn't one adapter but a range of adapters based on focal length and not all of the adapters will have (or need) the near/mid/far focus adjustment.

"16-24mm, 24-35mm, 35-70mm, 70-125mm, 100-200mm.

There will be no focus adjustment necessary for the 16-24mm, 24-35mm & the 35-70mm range Converters.

There will be 2 focus positions, Near & Far for the 70-125mm adapter and there will be 3 focus positions, Near, Mid and Far for the 100-200mm adapter..."

...makes sense since they're going for total quality.  Hopefully the $1700 represents the more complicated, longer lens versions and the short focal length models will be cheaper.

The beauty of this is that we get to use wide lenses on a 5DmkIII which is what I really struggle with right now.  My LA7200 is just so soft at the edges and focusing is crap.  I just hope that it isn't 5 models for $1700 EACH, although I'm afraid that's what it will be.   I'm really looking forward to this, I just hope they work on the coating so that we get real nice flares!  :-)

They mention two or three different levels of multi-coating, with the fully multicoated having the highest resolution and still some nice flares and a single coat for the flare junkies.

And realistically, I could see, quite easily, shooting just about everything with two or three of these.  I would almost bet they intentionally made it so that you couldn't get one adapter to cover the 50-85mm range.   70mm seems like an odd focal to be designing around.  That third adapter should have been 35-85mm, IMO.

Unfortunately I looked at the image they posted (the truck) and it still has problems on the edges, left and right.  I wonder if they just figured rehousing the LA7200 glass is enough.  I figure it's easy enough to replicate the shape of the glass, and considering it looks to be the same size, I guess the same problems persist.  At least the glass from SLR Magic doesn't seem to have this.  I wonder if a shootout is in order here - LA7200 x Century Optics x SLR Magic x Letus35!!!

• 4 weeks later...

you can see ovals in the out of focus lights at the end but it's very subtle. I really like their approach with close, medium and far focus settings instead of diopters and having a built-on mattebox is smart. But it's pricey at $2500 loaded. I think I'll wait for a 2x.

I don't get it. Yet another demo video that looks like spherical matted.

Maybe I'm just used to working with 2x bokeh, but none of it looked oval to me.

At least there's no smearing on the edges.  But no flares either, and not enough of a "anamorphic" look just like Silvertonesx24 said.  I also wonder what taking lens they used too.  In any case, it might be way overpriced especially if SLR Magic outperforms it.

At least there's no smearing on the edges.  But no flares either, and not enough of a "anamorphic" look just like Silvertonesx24 said.  I also wonder what taking lens they used too.  In any case, it might be way overpriced especially if SLR Magic outperforms it.

Zeiss Compact Primes

how can slr outperform this i do not see how slr magic product can compete apart from on big price difference.

2 optics this seems to have better edge performance which make a lot of sense.

century v panasonic.

letus have a more stable higher quality optic to copy over slr magics optex-century.

once you factor in optimisation letus should win.

clearly letus optics are pretty big and the matte box set up.

if this was shot close to wide open it is pretty special in optical terms the dead quality is due i guess to modern bbar coatings and state of the art taking lens.

which is best has not a lot to do with it price point is everything slr magic wins hands down.

how can slr outperform this i do not see how slr magic product can compete apart from on big price difference.

2 optics this seems to have better edge performance which make a lot of sense.

century v panasonic.

letus have a more stable higher quality optic to copy over slr magics optex-century.

once you factor in optimisation letus should win.

clearly letus optics are pretty big and the matte box set up.

if this was shot close to wide open it is pretty special in optical terms the dead quality is due i guess to modern bbar coatings and state of the art taking lens.

which is best has not a lot to do with it price point is everything slr magic wins hands down.

Is there info on this demo video?  Taking lens, f-stop, etc?  And it looks fine don't get me wrong, but again I'm not that impressed.  Letus has a great reputation of course, and I'm sure their price is justified.  But it is THAT much better than SLR Magic's lens?  From the video I can't say.  And unfortunately for us price does make a difference.  Otherwise I'll just buy that Iscorama for sale and be done with this...