NickM713

Hi guys. I'm a filmmaker that currently shoots with dslrs (Canon t2i & 7D) and i'm looking into purchasing my own lighting kit to light some of my future projects (and slowly move away from renting and borrowing from my friends). I was looking into LEDs because they don't overheat, more lightweight, and generally don't use a lot of power. Any suggestions?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Depends what you are shooting. I have access to a bunch of arri lights through work and often loan them for personal work, then once on set reflectors, diffusion and a cheapo set of daylight softboxes I got from amazon end up doing all the work.

Full disclosure, I havn't used LEDs and hear they are great. one Arri7 led light costs nearly 3k though....

I've done some work with Arri lights before and they are amazing lights! Had to borrow them a couple of times. I was also looking into the Arri LED lights on B&H. Unfortunately, they are really expensive and don't quite fit in my budget at the moment. 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?sts=ma&N=0&Ntt=arri+led

An acquaintance of mine also recommended that I check out the ikan led lights and told me there was a sale going on. Hm... are these a good lights to go with?

http://ikancorp.com/promotion.php?event=WEEKLYSALE

I've used cheap ebay panels and LitePanels alike. 

Both have a magenta or green hue. The more expensive ones tend to be more consistent, think Komputerbay cards, the cheap ones are a gamble.

That said I mixed cheap and expensive on a recent shoot and it's fine. I think the cheap ones are great to start with. Also daylight is yur friend.