How sketchy a vendor is 6ave?

HockeyFan12

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I’ve bought stuff from 6 Ave. They are a brick and mortar store in N. Jersey... or at least they used to be... I haven’t been up that way in a while. But they sell Grey Market cameras. And the points are not cash back, they are credits to use on other purchases through Rakuten... I think.

With that being said... that is a great deal and if I had a little extra cash lying around... I would seriously consider it.

And with that being said, I’ve never purchased a big item from 6 Ave and I’ve never purchased anything through Rakuten. 

So I can’t vouch for them. 

• Super Members
15 minutes ago, mercer said:

I’ve bought stuff from 6 Ave. They are a brick and mortar store in N. Jersey... or at least they used to be... 

Judging from this comment on a DPR thread about them, things may have changed in that regard ....

1221376859_ScreenShot2019-06-20at20_21_53.png.5515acaf775dd942a52d945d9b734123.png

Which would explain the reviews on here 

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/home_electronics/6th_avenue_electronics.html

56 minutes ago, HockeyFan12 said:

Yeah I’m thinking seriously about it.

As you know I bought a C200 last year, but in a lot of ways it’s too much camera for me. I still have a 2016 laptop and the raw footage renders very slowly. So I was thinking of switching to something more straightforward.

The C200 shadows are also very noisy, something about the new sensors makes the noise really chunky. And the Varicam has my second favorite color to the Alexa now that Canon has changed its color to be flatter. Most people prefer the Canon color, so this is just personal preference. But I love the image from the C200, if it weren't for the EVA1 I wouldn't have second thoughts. Did post on a Varicam show two years ago and really loved the image and the more I try to correct in that direction the more the noise becomes an issue.

The C200 has 1/3 to 1/2 stop more highlight detail than the EVA1, though. And DPAF. I suspect the C200 is MUCH better in low light.

26 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Judging from this comment on a DPR thread about them, things may have changed in that regard ....

1221376859_ScreenShot2019-06-20at20_21_53.png.5515acaf775dd942a52d945d9b734123.png

Well, that doesn’t sound so great. I’ll hold off for now, but maybe this is a sign from the universe the C200 is too much camera for me. Maybe I’ll rent an EVA1 and decide. I really like the C200 but it just feels like too much work in post. Meh I should probably just be satisfied with what I have. ?

Idk, I love the stuff you shared from your C200. Whatever you were doing in the beginning seemed to be working... has your workflow changed? I used to color in FCPX, but then I started messing around with Resolve and because I could, I’d complicate my color workflow to its detriment. Now I’m back to using Resolve as a transcoder and basic Raw corrector... WB and exposure... and I’m using the color board in FCPX and I’m happy again. 

So maybe try a simpler workflow?

Btw, I forget... did you ever test the Raw signal to 1080p ProRes via the SDI out? I’m still really intrigued by that.

With all that being said, I really like what I’ve seen from the EVA1. @Zak Forsman makes his sing. Also, if you’re thinking about a change, I know some EVA1 users have a GH5s as a B-Cam and I know you were thinking about going back to a DSLR/DSLM form factor, so that could be an option as well...

Or maybe even a 1DC?

3 hours ago, mercer said:

Idk, I love the stuff you shared from your C200. Whatever you were doing in the beginning seemed to be working... has your workflow changed? I used to color in FCPX, but then I started messing around with Resolve and because I could, I’d complicate my color workflow to its detriment. Now I’m back to using Resolve as a transcoder and basic Raw corrector... WB and exposure... and I’m using the color board in FCPX and I’m happy again. 

So maybe try a simpler workflow?

Btw, I forget... did you ever test the Raw signal to 1080p ProRes via the SDI out? I’m still really intrigued by that.

With all that being said, I really like what I’ve seen from the EVA1. @Zak Forsman makes his sing. Also, if you’re thinking about a change, I know some EVA1 users have a GH5s as a B-Cam and I know you were thinking about going back to a DSLR/DSLM form factor, so that could be an option as well...

Or maybe even a 1DC?

Thanks, and yeah it is a great camera in most ways. I guess I just started putting Alexa and EVA1 footage from jobs I was on into the same Resolve timeline and throwing on way too many LUTs and noticing the C200 footage fell apart sooner, despite being raw and being flatter. It looks amazing if you don't mess with it too much, but if you do it gets chunky. I totally agree with keeping it simple, though, that might be the best solution. 

The C200 definitely has more highlight detail than the EVA1, even if only by less than half a stop. It's noticeable. 

Never tried the SDI out. I don't like external recorders. But that would solve the problem I'm having with raw being too slow to edit. That's really the biggest problem.

A big part of this was just the price tag. If I could get an EVA1 for $3000 I could sell the C200 and still come out ahead. But now I'm less sure.

Overall I totally agree with keeping it simple.

4 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Yeah that’s a shame. Years ago I bought my first point and shoot that shot video from them... I think it was a Panasonic FZ or FX... something. Anyway, they used to run a promotion in the summer where you could make an offer on any camera they sold... I think I saved almost 50%.

• Super Members
3 minutes ago, mercer said:

They used to run a promotion in the summer where you could make an offer on any camera they sold... I think I saved almost 50%.

Judging by some of the promotions and discounts I'm seeing on their latest full frame digital releases we're not far off the same thing happening with Canon, Nikon and Panasonic this summer ;)

Yeah I saw it on eBay $3.7K is hellllllaaa interesting for an EVA 1.

Imo its the best all around Super 35 video camera on the market, atleast until you hit the real cinema cameras. 

If I owned EF glass this would be a cop forsure

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F192558967339

On 6/21/2019 at 11:16 AM, thebrothersthre3 said:

Can't you easily sell a C200 for $5500, which would fund a new EVA1?

At that point it’s a harder choice. For me at least. At $3k or $4k it’s an easy choice.

I think most people would prefer the C200 to the EVA1. I think the C200 is a technically superior camera and far more feature-rich. The NDs and DPAF are great. The dynamic range and low light actually seem better to me than anything else under $10k for “cinema” but just by a hair. Dynamic range is just outstanding. Great build quality, best NDs I've used by far (this matters a lot more to me than to most people), DPAF with tap to focus via Wifi or the included monitor, etc.

But what’s missing–10 bit intermediate codec, proper timecode sync, good shoulder mounting options–is frustrating. It's not like Panasonic is amazing in that regard: you get 10 bit h264 instead of ProRes, timecode sync that I've read has a tendency to drift (but even the F5 was frustrating for me in this regard, so whatever), and you need a Z finder because Panasonic and Canon both charge $6k for their entry-level EVFs. It's pretty terrible too, but it's something

Personally, I think I prefer the colors on the Panasonic, but that’s largely nostalgia for the dvx100. C200 has more modern color, more neutral imo. The kids would prefer it, but I'm getting old. My favorite cinematography is Kaminski's stuff from around fifteen or twenty years ago. I also associate the "dvx look" with that era subconsciously so it might just be nostalgia.

2 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

i'm about to buy a Panasonic CX 350 from 6ave, i'll let ya know how it goes lol

You're braver than I am! Lmk how it goes.

4 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Yeah definitely tough choices. How about the C300 MK2. You get a pretty nice intermediate codec, no RAW internal but maybe you don't need it. 

The C300 Mk II looks pretty great, but it lacks 60p and still costs a lot. Image is softer than C200 or EVA1, too. You do get timecode sync, though.

Again, I was largely chasing the price tag, but I do love the Panasonic colors... a bit too magenta (Alexa is a little too green) but really saturated.

9 hours ago, HockeyFan12 said:

You're braver than I am! Lmk how it goes.

The C300 Mk II looks pretty great, but it lacks 60p and still costs a lot. Image is softer than C200 or EVA1, too. You do get timecode sync, though.

Again, I was largely chasing the price tag, but I do love the Panasonic colors... a bit too magenta (Alexa is a little too green) but really saturated.

Didn't realize the C300 mk2 doesn't do 4k 60p. Canon loves to gimp their cameras.

On 6/21/2019 at 9:15 AM, HockeyFan12 said:

A big part of this was just the price tag. If I could get an EVA1 for $3000 I could sell the C200 and still come out ahead. But now I'm less sure.

I'm a soundie, and even I'd get very tempted if I could buy a brand new EVA1 from a legit and trustworthy source for only $3K! :-o

1 hour ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Didn't realize the C300 mk2 doesn't do 4k 60p. Canon loves to gimp their cameras.

The C300mk2 is gimped in more ways than you know

10 hours ago, HockeyFan12 said:

EVA1 has timecode I/O
(C200 doesn't)

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

he C300mk2 is gimped in more ways than you know

I believe Ed David sold his Ursa Pro for a C300 Mark II and since he’s probably the most accomplished cinematographer that contributes to this forum, it should say something about the C300 ii.