NX1 turns green while filming pitch black backgrounds

fletch murray

I bought two NX1s.  The first turned green while filming a dance rehearsal.   I turned it on and off and it was fine.  But I returned it to be safe.

I got a second NX1.  Seemed fine but a year later it turned green.   The conditions that were identical were that I was filming in nearly all-black background, i.e. the stage of the dancers and the second time I was filming outside at night when the picture turned suddenly green.  Anyone else have this problem occur?  (BTW my second NX1 is in for repair at Samsung. Hope they can work some magic and find the cause of this anomaly.)  Send me your experiences with this anomaly.  I want to get a solution from Samsung because this remains an incredible camera.  Thanks.

NX1 turns green during video.png

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Good to know they are still repairing them at Samsung if a fault occurs.

Was it under warranty out outside?

Hi, Andrew. 

Huge thank you for you taking the time to comment on this. While I have you, I'd like to ask a few extra things.  So here goes.   (I bought your excellent NX1 Manual, btw.)

1) The time it occurred with the second camera it was out of warranty.  I had to pay.  This was fine with me because the NX1 was doing the weirdest "luminance bouncing" and I wanted them to fix that for sure, as well as the green thing if they had time. 

They fixed the luminance bouncing, but in April 2019 I was filming another dancer on the dark stage and it turned green again.  

2) So, I called Samsung over the last three weeks slowly worked my way up the approval chain until I reached the people that could approve to repair it again.  That's where it is now. Fingers crossed they correct this odd anomaly. 

3) This camera still, in my view, is a leader in the mirrorless market. The Sony a7 III and a7R III have closed the gap for near perfect, autofocus for video.  And Canon got their great autofocus but still don't match the robust features on the NX1, (crop factor, h.265 etc.) Do you know if any other mirrorless camera is using the h.265 codec? Why? Why not? Hubris? $?

4) It's hard for me to believe the odds that I'm the only one that's had this green thing happen on two NX1's in a row.  I often wonder if this unsolvable anomaly is what convinced them to take it off the market quickly.  Although I have heard other rumors.  I'd appreciate your perspective on the rumors.

5) I saw "new" NX1 bodies on Amazon US for $1,499.. Could these be really "new"? Have you heard about this.  I have one on order. https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Wireless-Mirrorless-Digital-Camera/dp/B00NFDZRRA/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2BKLD2VX9WGTB&keywords=samsung+nx1&qid=1560923054&s=gateway&sprefix=samsung+nx1%2Caps%2C205&sr=8-3

Thanks again, Andrew.   I'm still training filmmakers in DSLR and mirrorless filmmaking. The NX1 may never die.

2 hours ago, fletch murray said:

1) The time it occurred with the second camera it was out of warranty.  I had to pay.  This was fine with me because the NX1 was doing the weirdest "luminance bouncing" and I wanted them to fix that for sure, as well as the green thing if they had time. 

They fixed the luminance bouncing, but in April 2019 I was filming another dancer on the dark stage and it turned green again.  

2) So, I called Samsung over the last three weeks slowly worked my way up the approval chain until I reached the people that could approve to repair it again.  That's where it is now. Fingers crossed they correct this odd anomaly. 

3) This camera still, in my view, is a leader in the mirrorless market. The Sony a7 III and a7R III have closed the gap for near perfect, autofocus for video.  And Canon got their great autofocus but still don't match the robust features on the NX1, (crop factor, h.265 etc.) Do you know if any other mirrorless camera is using the h.265 codec? Why? Why not? Hubris? $?

4) It's hard for me to believe the odds that I'm the only one that's had this green thing happen on two NX1's in a row.  I often wonder if this unsolvable anomaly is what convinced them to take it off the market quickly.  Although I have heard other rumors.  I'd appreciate your perspective on the rumors.

5) I saw "new" NX1 bodies on Amazon US for $1,499.. Could these be really "new"? Have you heard about this.  I have one on order. https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Wireless-Mirrorless-Digital-Camera/dp/B00NFDZRRA/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2BKLD2VX9WGTB&keywords=samsung+nx1&qid=1560923054&s=gateway&sprefix=samsung+nx1%2Caps%2C205&sr=8-3

1) how did they fixed the luminance bouncing?

3) H265 is a lot more common now

4) I have 2 NX1 and I know some people with NX1 and I haven't see that happen before.

5) there is new NX equipment.

• Administrators

I now have two NX1 bodies, in case one of them goes kaput. I plan to continue using the NX1 until both of them go kaput or a miracle happens and Samsung return to the market. A full frame version with L-mount in that NX1 body would be a dream ticket in ergonomics and image quality. Samsung offer wonderful technological prowess. The Japanese need the competition.

5 years later, the NX1 still has so many merits. The shooting experience is incredibly enjoyable. Of the high-end 4K Super 35mm mirrorless cameras only the Fuji X-H1 comes close. Sure the 2018/19 breed offer even more in way of specs now. IBIS and LOG. But not much else. So I still use the NX1 which has to tell you something. I have still not found another 4K mirrorless camera with as comfortable grip as the NX1 either, or the instant one-press video mode, let alone one which is $800 used and runs a full computer OS under the hood, with all sorts of hacks possible to improve it even further.

The dedicated hardware in there is bespoke and pretty special, to handle different tasks like AF and stabilisation which really help responsiveness. Hardware accelerated digital stabilisation as good as Warp Stabiliser right there in-camera with minimal crop and no loss of image quality. The codec with the higher bitrate hack is amazing. Looks like ProRes. Colour science. Detail. The AOLED screen on the back. Very good stills. Exceptional 16-55mm F2.0-2.8 lens (and 50-150mm). Extremely high build quality.

It's a real shame more bloggers didn't champion the NX1. Philip Bloom bought one but did barely anything with it!

Like Andrew I also have two of them, one I got off eBay for $400 as a backup in case my main one ever gives up the ghost. 

When I want ultimate quality in video I always go for the NX1. Its simply the best and really only Fuji comes close to matching it, but with that one touch video option vs Fuji’s dial / touchscreen control, the NX1 beats it out in terms of usability.

I have my NX1 hacked just to give unlimited recording, and have never experienced the green issue you described. Could it be related to the stage using some type of LED that pulses at a weird or uneven rate?

13 hours ago, Kisaha said:

1) how did they fixed the luminance bouncing?

3) H265 is a lot more common now

4) I have 2 NX1 and I know some people with NX1 and I haven't see that happen before.

5) there is new NX equipment.

HI,  K.  RE #1) I'm just guessing but I assume Samsung repair had to replace the selector knob and perhaps more of the "innards" that was producing the random luminance bouncing. (It would never happen predictably.) BTW I am extremely careful with the NX1. No dropping or damage on my end at all.

Q. I'd like to ask Andrew, Cycling Ben, Kisaha and Mars if any of you bought through the Adorama retailer.  I bought my first NX1 (which turned green) and the second NX1 through them at their pre-Christmas 2015 blowout price of $1,999.00 with 16-50mm lens.  I've always wondered if Adorama got a bad batch.  My second NX1 came from Adorama as well. It's serial number is 8J7ZCN6G70003KR. 

THE SCREWY THING IS that the turning green is not consistent. I can't make it repeat predictably.  I tell people it's like being married to Marilyn Monroe....364 days and nights of bliss and 1 day you'd like to forget about. Still those 364 are beyond belief!   

Here's some NX1 shots into the blazing setting sun.  I was amazed how the sensor didn't freak out and how it delivered such fine resolution at 1920 (of the parasail's cords) when I was filming at 120 frames per second.   It was breathtaking.

One more thing.  

Andrew, is The EOSHD Samsung NX1 Setup Guide still available?  I want my students to buy it. Please send me the link.

Thanks.

3 hours ago, fletch murray said:

Andrew, is The EOSHD Samsung NX1 Setup Guide still available?  I want my students to buy it. Please send me the link.

It is, I bought it a fortnite ago and received the .pdf file only a few minutes later. 

https://www.eoshd.com/samsung-nx1-video-settings-guide-tutorial/

On 6/20/2019 at 1:15 AM, fletch murray said:

Q. I'd like to ask Andrew, Cycling Ben, Kisaha and Mars if any of you bought through the Adorama retailer.  I bought my first NX1 (which turned green) and the second NX1 through them at their pre-Christmas 2015 blowout price of $1,999.00 with 16-50mm lens.  I've always wondered if Adorama got a bad batch.  My second NX1 came from Adorama as well. It's serial number is 8J7ZCN6G70003KR.

Hey Fletch, I bought my first one via Amazon and the second one used via eBay. The first owner got his apparently from a local dealer, so no Adorama here.

Nice glider slomos, btw - thx for sharing.

1 hour ago, Erik R.s.P said:

Andrew, do you think this guide is pertinent to a nx500 user?

the guide really focuses on GammaDR settings, including a lut to convert out of camera footage to something more gradeable. The NX500 does not shoot GammaDR. Still some valuable info, but it is catered to the NX1. Andrew can correct me if I'm wrong.

OP, I want to say I have seen the green tint issue posted before, but I may be thinking of solid green frames in footage. I have definitely heard of the NX1 doing weird things occasionally. I've had about 4 NX1s and 4 NX500s in the past 5 years and have never come across it. 

6 hours ago, mnewxcv said:

the guide really focuses on GammaDR settings, including a lut to convert out of camera footage to something more gradeable. The NX500 does not shoot GammaDR. Still some valuable info, but it is catered to the NX1. Andrew can correct me if I'm wrong.

OP, I want to say I have seen the green tint issue posted before, but I may be thinking of solid green frames in footage. I have definitely heard of the NX1 doing weird things occasionally. I've had about 4 NX1s and 4 NX500s in the past 5 years and have never come across it. 

Thank´s for the answer, do you have some preferences while shooting with yours nx500?