Fuji X-Pro 1 first look

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[html]

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/fuji-x-pro-1.jpg[/img]

Canon have been on the record to say that the only rival they fear is Fuji (because of their expertise in sensors). Canon want to fear them and I want to like them. If only the GH2 was this good looking.

Unfortunately I am having quite a hard time liking my X-Pro 1 when she is sitting side by side with the superb Sony NEX 7.

Does it offer enough over the Sony NEX 7 to justify the price tag?

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/content/7450/fuji-x-pro-1-first-look/"]Read full article[/url]

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Many stills photographers have dismissed the Nex7 because there are so few high quality autofocus-capable lenses available for it and none of them are compact. Arguably, there's only one high quality NEX lens, the Zeiss 24mm f1.8, and even that is optically compromised, not that fast, and surprisingly large. The micro four thirds lenses are much better in every way (size, price, speed, optical quality) but the sensors aren't up to speed. Which leaves a lot of people hoping that Fuji can deliver a camera with a great sensor and some great lenses.

I'm loving the NEX7 so far and don't own any Sony lenses.
I'm using legacy glass (Leica/Alpa) and find the Nex 7's various focus assists are helping me create more good pictures than my Panasonic GH1.
At the moment it's GH1 (hacked) for video and Nex 7 for stills and video for me.

"Does it offer enough over the Sony NEX 7 to justify the price tag?"

Even if the price was equal, the Sony NEX-7 wins out in a number of key areas—size, better EVF, flip-out screen.

From my prospective, the X-Pro 1 is a huge disappointment.

I enjoy your work Andrew...many thanks.
I think mirrorless is a great idea, however just because the body can be made smaller by removing the mirror, that doesn't necessarily mean that fast, high quality auto focus zoom lenses can be made proportionally smaller or affordable. I believe it's simply a matter of physics. The NEX7 and the Fuji X-Pro 1 shows just how far smaller < full-frame sensor technology has come, but when I entertain the idea of using fast auto focus glass with an adapter, I end up with a tiny body and a large lens which for me is ergonomically silly. Cameras are getting smaller but my hands are staying the same size. I'm sticking with a DSLR for now.

I love my NEX-7. So many of the issues people complain about just don't matter to my actual photography.
However, I don't shoot wide angle primes.
I do think that once the NEX-7 has met demand, they should put the 5n sensor in a nex-7 body, call it the nex-6 and charge just as much. For me I wouldn't switch, but it seems many others would.
OH, and make a 16-50 2.8 for emount.

Love your review - I had the same reservations about the x-pro-1.

• Administrators
[quote author=sandro link=topic=395.msg2502#msg2502 date=1331653943]
so the resolution sucks?
[/quote]

No it certainly doesn't. No anti-aliasing filter means the sensor and lens deliver optimal sharpness. Although it is 16MP to 24MP on the NEX 7 it keeps the low light advantage of a lower megapixel count with some of the resolution advantages of higher pixel count. See Nikon D800E for further example.

Andrew - hoping you can get your hands on the just-announced Sony A57. I think with the 16-50mm constant f2.8 and in-body stabilization in the A57 should make a nice cheap doc run n gun solution. I'm still so in love w/ my GH2, even without hacking. Posted this FCP X test this morning. [url=http://vimeo.com/38419638]American Youth Symphony / Just Faces[/url]

Can't wait to see All-I 5DmkIII 91mbps codec too.

fuji make yummy stills and motion picture film...even instant films.
they also have made small batch cameras like the hasselblad x pan.
with the highly regarded sensor division it really is a superbly structured company in kind of shape that kodak can w never now attain.

this company for me have the future potential for superb high end products.
kodak went for cheap made in china rebadge.
fuji film have said guys we cannot beat the big boys canon and nikon with trickle down vast product range.
but we can look at another company leica and using are internal resources can carve out a good position in this brutal market. aim high.
look how far they have come in less than 16 months.
all they have too do is listen..listen to the customers who are paying for a premium product like the american airforce rebuilding steve austin the 6 million dollar man they have the power,the resources,the technology.
they now are carving out a market at some point when they integrate the film and the digital guys together a slicker moving picture device will surface.
the next high end camera they do should really make leica sweat.
also fuji has a very small but really superb optics division with over 40 years of work behind them from 35mm lens,to high end broadcast camera zoom lens to large format optics.
i cannot think of another company that has so much internal integration.
i just hope they have the vision and the aggression.

[quote author=Andrew Reid - EOSHD link=topic=395.msg2503#msg2503 date=1331657773]
[quote author=sandro link=topic=395.msg2502#msg2502 date=1331653943]
so the resolution sucks?
[/quote]

No it certainly doesn't. No anti-aliasing filter means the sensor and lens deliver optimal sharpness. Although it is 16MP to 24MP on the NEX 7 it keeps the low light advantage of a lower megapixel count with some of the resolution advantages of higher pixel count. See Nikon D800E for further example.
[/quote]

Sorry I was talking about the video part