TechArt Pro Sony E To Nikon Z Adapter

BTM_Pix

• Super Members

Looks like its real and will be shipping at the end of June and at $249 its cheaper than I expected it to be.

I'm disappointed they haven't actually shown it working stacked with their E to Leica M AF adapter but they do say in the comments of the video that it does work, albeit a bit slower obviously.

They haven't answered the question someone has posed about it working stacked with the Sigma MC11 which would give EF compatibility as well so thats one to keep an eye on.

As I've no real interest in buying new Z lenses, I've been waiting on this as it makes the Z6 a whole lot more interesting to me as its now adaptable to have full F, EF, E compatibility as well as AF for manual focus lenses.

As does the tumbling price of the camera itself !

http://techartpro.com/product/techart-sony-e-nikon-z-autofocus-adapter-tze-01/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
8 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Can't wait for this. Let's hope they make one for L-mount as well ?

If he made an L mount version of the original AF adapter I think he could probably name his price with SL/CL/TL owners to get AF capability with their M lenses.

Conspiracy theorist in me suspects thats why Leica shit on the MC21 compatibility as an adapter like that exposes a bit too much that would enable reverse engineering. 

I need to resume my pin blanking experiments with the MC21 and the SL but from the ones I did its pretty clear its just a simple lockout based on the ID returned by the lens not being in the camera's list, hence why they had to do a firmware update after Panasonic released their lenses and presumably will have to for every new lens as well.

So if we could find a way to inject the ID of a lens that it DOES have in its list via the MC21's return line then we could spoof it into working ;)

1 hour ago, buggz said:

Hmm, interesting.

I was getting bummed all the new Voightlander lens only for E mount releases, as I don't have an E mount body.

Perhaps the new D5 class Nikon Z will sway me?

Too many choices...

Yup that Voigtlander 21mm 1.4 and 40mm 1.2 will be mine.

This camera is going to lead the FF hybrid market with the Raw out put to Atomos ninja V this summer . 

I use GH5 with Leica branded lens but would like to have more flexibility in colour grading. I was going to buy a  BMPCC 4k but after hearing the Nikon raw out to Prores RAW, I am seriously considering  to buy this camera.  The colour science seems better than Lumix S1.

Andrew....here is a crazy thought;  We know that the Z6 uses a Sony IMX410 with PDAF photosites. I wonder how much "help" that Sony SemiConductor gave Nikon on PDAF software and new lens communication protocols. 

"Could" Nikon have paid Sony as a co-designer of their Z system? Is it "possible" that Nikon's PDAF and lens protocol are literally virtually identical to Sony's code?

If so.....how difficult would it be to "pass through" Nikon's PDAF and lens coding to a Sony lens that "might" be the identical language?

I wonder if TechChart figured that out and made a somewhat "pass-thru" adapter that requires only minimal translation?

Nah......that's crazy talk. Sony SemiConductor would never allow itself to work that closely with another camera company. Im sure Nikon would also refuse to take help from the leasing PDAF developer and seller in the market today too. Nikon just licensee Sony PDAF sensors, they would never pay for any servises from Sony beyond a sensor.

Forget I said this....

Does anyone know when we'll get a "Canikon" adapter to use Canon EF lenses *with autofocus* on the Nikon Z mount?

I saw one announced a few weeks/months back but has not heard about it again.

• Super Members
31 minutes ago, Elias said:

Does anyone know when we'll get a "Canikon" adapter to use Canon EF lenses *with autofocus* on the Nikon Z mount?

I saw one announced a few weeks/months back but has not heard about it again.

It was Kipon that announced one but no further news as of yet.

https://www.kipon.com/en/articledetail.asp?id=139

The TechArt adapter stacked with a Sigma MC11adapter (or any other EF>E adapter) will achieve it if you need one in the short term.

With the adapter only being 2mm stacking it with another one isn't going to be too unduly cumbersome and I would hazard a guess it won't be dissimilarly priced as a total package with an MC11 versus the cost of the dedicated Kipon one.

On 6/20/2019 at 1:10 AM, tupp said:

Sorry, but an adapter that allows Sony E-mount lenses to work electronically on a Nikon Z camera will never happen -- Sony won't allow it?

It is made in China, where enforcement of IP is lax or non-existent. The adaptor is a pretty clear infringement on Sony's IP.

May be a different story in other countries though, unless it gets slipped in through backdoors.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Mokara said:

The adaptor is a pretty clear infringement on Sony's IP.

I don't think it is, although nobody knows for sure how they did it. You don't. I can only guess.

Reverse engineering some electronic contacts isn't the same as infringing IP, is it?