Audio Advice For Weddings

MrSMW

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

That is only stupid because he is holding the boom mic why to high, the boom pole on an angle (don't! Be level), and is off axis. 

So much fail by the boom op in one photo. 

It is a Rode kind of Video mic also..to be fair, that is much better than having that same mic on camera.

Also to have the boom on an angle, especially these kind of wide ones, is a fair tactic when an amateur or semi-pro have to hold it for a substantial amount of time, or else is 3minutes and then nothing!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hmm. That would be too intrusive for my taste as well. Has anyone tried this:

https://instamic.io/

Thinking about getting two or so. It has dual mono and it seems to have a huge convenience advantage over classic lavs as you could quickly put it on and off. For the ceremony like the one above much better than a boon operator, imho.

On 6/22/2019 at 8:36 PM, thebrothersthre3 said:

Yeah I don't even have the budget for a Tascam at the moment ? but its on my to buy list, for short film use as well. 

I meant more in terms of how to mount it. 

No budget for a few DR10L bodypacks??

Yet what is in the rest of your kit? I fear that once again it was just simply a matter of priorities, and people placed audio at the bottom of that list. 

As for how to mount it, same as with any other bodypack!

On 6/22/2019 at 11:40 PM, thebrothersthre3 said:

Looks nice, wonder how reliable the wireless is though.

I don't think the wireless is for recording, they record the audio internally like the Tascams. The wireless is just so you can monitor and adjust it in real(ish) time. You could probably rig it to transmit to your phone and run that into camera, but I'd only do that with the idea of syncing to the original recordings anyway. They'd be a great product for weddings as you're not limited to where your camera can be... That said, the DR10L would be better because the actual microphone part is much smaller.

17 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

No budget for a few DR10L bodypacks??

Yet what is in the rest of your kit? I fear that once again it was just simply a matter of priorities, and people placed audio at the bottom of that list. 

As for how to mount it, same as with any other bodypack!

Its generally not a huge priority in what I do. As long as its decent. 

20 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Its generally not a huge priority in what I do. As long as its decent. 

"Decent" is a big weasel word there....

Often to ensure audio is "decent" then a very high priority has to be placed on it.