Audio Advice For Weddings

MrSMW

I used to use Zoom H1's with Rode lav mics and had 3 and mic'd each speaker and if more than 3 people, swapped them around...and then synced/synched (how do you say spell that?) the audio to the video...but it was all a pain in the backside.

I moved to the Rode Wireless Go system this year and that works well, except only one transmitter per receiver a pain.

My current set up is:

Sony 1 inch camcorder with WG and Rode lav mic in a central lectern for the celebrant/readers etc, set moderately wide taking in the scene for the full duration of ceremony and speeches/toasts.

Fuji XT3 for tighter head shots of those speaking and with another WG system this time with Rode lav mic to groom. 

Splice and dice as required for the production.

Ideally, I'd like to link up a mic to the WG on that central lectern that is not the WG transmitter itself (with it's tiny dead kitty) or a vertical/angle pointed small shotgun (Rode Micro Pro) but 'something else' that captures not only the person speaking at the lectern, but also the vows assuming the B&G/B&B/G&G are not standing behind it and maybe 8-10 feet away.

I tried both of the above and as soon as anyone speaking is more than 4-6 feet away, outside especially, it's not great as you'd expect.

Or I'm maybe overthinking it...

I just like the idea of some vintage style static thing like the Shure Super 55 or similar to 'force' them to stand where ideally I'd like any/all speakers to remain that captures a bigger distance. Plus, I get quite a few multi-bestman speeches where I can't mic them both to the same WG as they are both speaking repeatedly in turn so forcing them into speaking into one single system would be great.

The only issue with this is that so many venues like to set up a PA type system and I never like to record off that as anything but a backup as most folks don't know how to speak into a mic and sometimes do and sometimes don't so the audio is all over the place.

Thought I'd ask as audio is not my strongest suite!

Cheers in advance.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I can't get myself to trust wireless systems yet so I've been doing your original plan of using Zoom H1's and lavs or smaller Sony recorders as well as mounting devices on speaker podiums. Audio makes the job 50% more difficult lol. 

Receptions are the worst part IMHO, I can't always lav the speakers if they are female. Than I am stuck trying to go from the DJ sound, which sometimes works brilliantly. But I relied on the Church soundboard last time I shot and the audio was completely jacked, not even sure what happened there, just a really loud unremovable hum throughout. Thankfully my camera mics picked up the audio decently. 

Multiple options are our friend in this.

I always use at least 2 and up to 4.

Last job I had 2x OSMO pockets on stands with Rode Micros covering the sides.

Both audio was awful however as I discovered the 3.5mm non-DJI adapters that had arrived the day prior but not had time to test, we're not actually compatible as the manufacturer claimed! Official DJI part still out of stock in my part of Europe..

I am currently trying to find...and not having much success, a list of non-lav mics that are compatible with the WG.

I've heard wedding shooters talk before about insisting that the PA mic for the reception is put on a stand (even if it's wireless) so that it forces the people speaking to speak from that location.  I think the rationale was that it provides an excellent place to put an external recorder / mic combo (on the stand), but also if you're a single shooter then it means you can get a tight / third angle from an unattended camera on a tripod that's been pre-setup and manually focused (in addition to an unattended wide angle and the camera you're operating which can get reaction shots).

I've also seen people put a recorder / mic on the PA speaker itself with a strong attenuation to one channel as a safety precaution.  IIRC it was literally an external recorder taped to the speaker stand and a LAV mic sticky-taped to the grill in front of the main driver in the PA speaker.  Assuming that you set the levels correctly, it means that if there's a problem with what you're recording then the PA tech will also be hearing it and will fix it, instead of your line-out getting messed up accidentally at some point and no-one noticing.

It's a ton of fun Kye.

I find the best practice is to try and encourage anyone/everyone speaking to do so from a single point and indeed, fixed speaking mic (if used) on a stand.

But then best laid plans of mice and men and all that...

I have had fathers of brides with lav mic on jacket decide to take jacket off just before or during and hang it on the back of their chair.

Best men that feel the need to widely roam the room.

All kinds of nooooooooooooo moments.

This is why I am thinking about one single central vintage stylee mic as a focal point in order to take as much human randomness out of the equation as poss.

Why can't you just use a wireless mike? The type with the transmitter in them. You are not going to have enough luck to keep everyone standing in just one spot. People are nervous as hell and need to pace around.  There is every type of person in the world at a wedding. You are not going to make all of them obey your rules. They are going to turn to toast the Bride, on and on. You think they are going to do that for the Garter thing, Cake Cutting, etc.? Ain't going to happen. Been there done that.

And human randomness is what make's a wedding or event fun, maybe even embarrassing, but that is what you want. not stale as heck. People are too Wooden looking when you heard them like cats.

16 hours ago, MrSMW said:

I used to use Zoom H1's with Rode lav mics and had 3 and mic'd each speaker and if more than 3 people, swapped them around...and then synced/synched (how do you say spell that?) the audio to the video...but it was all a pain in the backside.

Use Tascam DR10L at least, which are purpose built and designed for their usage as a bodypack recorder would be an improvement. 

Using wireless such as Sony UWP-D11 / Deity Connect Wirelesss / etc running into a Zoom F8n using Timecode would be even better. 

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

So? These are easy problems to solve, which I do on an almost daily basis. 

Weddings are different then film sets. Of course its possible but definitely more involved and more intrusive. Nothing easier than throwing the mic in the front pocket of a suit coat. 

3 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Weddings are different then film sets.

True. 
But in a positive way or a negative way?

You might very well find the bride caring more about the quality of the audio in her wedding film than say the actress who you're trying to lav up cares about this short film. 

15 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Its not sexist haha, females just choose to wear clothing with no pockets. Maybe when they decide to start wearing suits to weddings.

There are straps that you can put to the leg or other places, but tight or ankle are more convenient.

Ursa straps are my favorite if you want to check them out.

21 hours ago, IronFilm said:

True. 
But in a positive way or a negative way?

You might very well find the bride caring more about the quality of the audio in her wedding film than say the actress who you're trying to lav up cares about this short film. 

That is true of course. Though I feel like actresses are more prepared for that sort of thing where a bride might find it odd. On the other hand some people like fancy equipment and find it fun like they are on TV or something. You never know. 

What would you recommend for a bride?

19 hours ago, Kisaha said:

There are straps that you can put to the leg or other places, but tight or ankle are more convenient.

Ursa straps are my favorite if you want to check them out.

Yeah I saw that idea, could work. 

On 6/21/2019 at 4:25 PM, thebrothersthre3 said:

What would you recommend for a bride?

Lectrosonics SSM or Zaxcom ZMT3 ?

However most wedding videographers seem to have absolutely no budget whatsoever for audio... :-/ 

So, Tascam DR10L?

13 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

Saw this on FB and it made me think of this thread. Perhaps some inspiration? Don't be afraid of a boom in the aisle during the vows, haha!

That is only stupid because he is holding the boom mic why to high, the boom pole on an angle (don't! Be level), and is off axis. 

So much fail by the boom op in one photo. 

27 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Lectrosonics SSM or Zaxcom ZMT3 ?

However most wedding videographers seem to have absolutely no budget whatsoever for audio... ?

So, Tascam DR10L?

Yeah I don't even have the budget for a Tascam at the moment ? but its on my to buy list, for short film use as well. 

I meant more in terms of how to mount it.