So it seems mobile has overtaken camera for 4K evolution

ntblowz

With the recent announcement of Note 3 which can take 4K at 30fps, 1080P at 60fps and 720p at 120fps and Acer S2 with 4K at 24fps, I think it will be the mobile phone that drive 4K to mainstream.

Compare to Canon which can only do 1080P @ 30fps which is really pathetic IMHO

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I just read about the new sony lens that attch to mobile phones.

I don't know about 4K shooting, but the phone is more convinent that buying a point and shoot especially now that they have attachable lens and apps to edit photos.

I definitely want to see how the quaility is and for video quaility.

It's quite usual to see new tech in consumer products first (if the tech is 'interesting' for consumers). Like wifi and gps made it's way to compact camera's years before it went into dslrs.

4K in phones will bring 4K to the attention of the masses. It's gonna be easier to convince people they have to buy a 4K tv if they already have 4K devices.

Besides, putting 4K in a smartphone won't kill any current product line up either. It's not like people are going to trade their dslr's/movie camera's for a smartphone because it shoots 4K.

Biggest surprise for me is that the Sony Xperia Z1 doesn't shoot 4K. It was rumoured it would and since Sony is making 4K tv's and even launching a 4K streaming service I thought they would push it.

I'm still a bit surprised that Sony banned the 4k recording feature on Z1 (which apparently supported by S800), it seems like Sony doesn't want to affect other product lines such as 4k Camcorders or upcoming 4k Consumer Cameras or so.

In contrast, since Samsung and Acer don't have much impact in cameras or camcorders, they are freely to do whatever formats they want like 4k30fps, 1080p60fps.

def looking forward to see how 4k30fps perform on the Note 3 and i won't be surprised there are some ways to crack the Z1 into 4k recording mode via some apps

It's quite usual to see new tech in consumer products first (if the tech is 'interesting' for consumers). Like wifi and gps made it's way to compact camera's years before it went into dslrs.

4K in phones will bring 4K to the attention of the masses. It's gonna be easier to convince people they have to buy a 4K tv if they already have 4K devices.

Besides, putting 4K in a smartphone won't kill any current product line up either. It's not like people are going to trade their dslr's/movie camera's for a smartphone because it shoots 4K.

Biggest surprise for me is that the Sony Xperia Z1 doesn't shoot 4K. It was rumoured it would and since Sony is making 4K tv's and even launching a 4K streaming service I thought they would push it.

I'm still a bit surprised that Sony banned the 4k recording feature on Z1 (which apparently supported by S800), it seems like Sony doesn't want to affect other product lines such as 4k Camcorders or upcoming 4k Consumer Cameras or so....

It's Sony.  They have a longstanding history of doing this sort of thing.  I've seen it at least as far back as the DV revolution, preventing their prosumer line from competing with their industrial and professional gear.  I'm sure they did some of the same protectionism going back into analog gear with formats like ED Beta and Hi8.

The phone proves beyond a shadow of doubt that spatial resolution is easy and cheap and there to dazzle consumers and not much else.

I'll get the popcorn and let's see some of these films shot on 4K smart phones instead of quality 1080P cameras.  I double dog dare them.