Mounting Iscorama 36 to EOS 50mm

lthanlon

I've been using the 50mm attachment that came with my Iscorama 36, but would like to try mounting the anamorphic on other lenses. How do you solve the problem of lenses that have a externally rotating focus element? I know you put the lens on manual and keep it set to infinity, but won't a rotating element be less able to handle the anamorphic's weight and be more prone to bending?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I wouldn't trust lenses with a rotating front element. Not because they're easier to bend, but because it would be a painful, because any little movement could blast alignment. :(

I hadn't thought of that, but you're right. I have enough trouble aligning the element already.

They are hard to find but definitely stay away from lenses with a rotating front. I have one that rotates for focus and not only do you have to realign the anamorphic every time you change focus but the weight of the anamorphic is enough to cause slight rotations even with only moderate movement of the camera. 

+1 on Rcorrell's reply.

I only use a few stacked 49mm uv filters with glass removed + a step-up ring to 52mm filter thread. Then I just screw the stacked filter rings + step-up ring onto the iscorama and then screw it onto the taking lens. Very handy solution, and I wouldn't go for any other setup with clamps or such on an original Iscorama or Iscorama 36.

Dog Schidt Optiks will also modify Helios lenses (also known as FF58 / Flare Factory 58 when modded by them) with adapter rings preinstalled so you can directly attach the Helios lenses to your Iscorama. I use two of those and a set of Nikon lenses with 52mm front thread.