JVC is back with a new cinema camera!!

Alt Shoo

• Super Members
2 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah but can you put a Speedbooster on it and make it work for FF lenses and actually have a FF field of view, DoF and all?

If you set the VSM to 100% then its just like putting a FF lens on any other APS-C sensor via a Speebooster so like an EF lens on an EOS-M etc.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
44 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

If you set the VSM to 100% then its just like putting a FF lens on any other APS-C sensor via a Speebooster so like an EF lens on an EOS-M etc.

and you can put an Olympus 12-100mm natively and go run n gunning if you'd like.

Have you used the Dec Regain on the LS300? any tricks? I bought it for "my" P4K but now it collects dust as I am not 100% on the BM! Maybe I will go try it on the JVC or GH5 at the office.

• Super Members
14 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Have you used the Dec Regain on the LS300? any tricks? I bought it for "my" P4K but now it collects dust as I am not 100% on the BM! Maybe I will go try it on the JVC or GH5 at the office.

Yes.....

The problem with the LS300 is the ND filter wheel gets in the way when attaching anything with a tripod foot.

With normal Speedboosters you have take to take it off to fit it which is no big deal but with the LensRegain there are electronics in theirs so you have to move them and tape them up.

I did it and it works but I wouldn't recommend it.

It'll be fine on the GH5 though.

I would imagine you'd have no problem re-selling it for what you paid for it though.

12 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I did it and it works but I wouldn't recommend it.

It'll be fine on the GH5 though.

I would imagine you'd have no problem re-selling it for what you paid for it though.

maybe it will fit the new JVC!

A local shop that I have spend a dozen thousands of € the last few years have 2 P4K waiting at the moment..I do not need anything the P4K does, but it is so cheap..and I have the glass..and the NPF batteries..and the T5s...

10 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Not entirely irrelevant. Larger sensors tend to be higher res = more data to read. Larger sensors also tend to generate more heat, and that has to be managed very well to get readout noise under control, and fixed pattern noise.

So we tend to see the smaller sensors being the faster ones, with less rolling shutter. 1", M43 good examples of that.

Heat will limit your frame rates, not rolling shutter, since most of the heat generation comes from reading and clearing the registers. Rolling shutter limitations are more due to how long it takes to actually clear the register and how long it takes for the supporting logic to actually process the resultant data.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Mokara said:

Heat will limit your frame rates, not rolling shutter, since most of the heat generation comes from reading and clearing the registers. Rolling shutter limitations are more due to how long it takes to actually clear the register and how long it takes for the supporting logic to actually process the resultant data.

Does the CMOS have a clock like a CPU, and higher clock speed = more heat. They have column parallel A/D for extra readout speed... I think rolling shutter and frame rate are somewhat linked.

On 6/18/2019 at 5:14 AM, IronFilm said:

4K will still relevant for a long long loooooong time yet, and I'd rather JVC is price competitive rather than bumping up the cost even higher with a 6K camera.

Of course I agree wholeheartedly that 4K is relevant and will remain so for a decade or so, but 4K will look better from a higher resolution!

Sony has it's superb IMX410 full frame sensor on the market. Its used in the A7III and Nikon Z6. (And possibly Lumix S1 but not verified yet)

If JVC can get Sony to sell it to them, they would immediately have a fully competitive cine camera on that chip alone. If they put it into an LS300 body with ND and 10bit color? If they worked with Atomos on HDMI raw? If they priced it at $4,000?

Huge winner fir JVC!! They would undercut Sony, Canon and Panny easily.

CT.

21 hours ago, Cliff Totten said:

Sony has it's superb IMX410 full frame sensor on the market. Its used in the A7III and Nikon Z6. (And possibly Lumix S1 but not verified yet)

They could just stick the existing GH5S sensor in the JVC LS300 and be on to a winner so long as:

1) also has 10bit internal and timecode
2) is priced the same as it is currently

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

They could just stick the existing GH5S sensor in the JVC LS300 and be on to a winner so long as:

1) also has 10bit internal and timecode
2) is priced the same as it is currently

Ehhh...maybe. However, I think the industry is demanding full frame right now. Micro 4/3 is fine but a huge number of people are looking at large sensor. Even the Sony Venice broke from the Hollywood standard of super35 and went full frame. Plus, this JVC will need to compete with the Nikon Z6, Lumix S1, S1H and future Sony A7S-III. Its going to be hard to steal those people away with a super35 sensor.

1 hour ago, Cliff Totten said:

Plus, this JVC will need to compete with the Nikon Z6, Lumix S1, S1H and future Sony A7S-III. Its going to be hard to steal those people away with a super35 sensor.

Oh I don’t know. Internal NDs, built in XLRs, servo-zoom options (programmed to digital zoom or focus like the LS300). I’d much rather go s35 with those features than FF without them. 

Then you have codecs etc. JVC already have ProRes in their cameras, so it’s reasonable to assume this one will too. 

This full frame conversation for "less than 4000€" is mad. We do not need full frame on a JVC workhorse camera, there are other products for this. 

If anyone needs a Sony Venice or a Red or a SH1 they are free to do as they please.

Most of us, JVC users already, need a better and more modern LS300 with the same or sinilar price.

30 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah but even Panasonic shit around with only 8bit in the Panasonic AG-DVX200. Unless someone else blinks and adds 10bit to their "Lower"' end cameras I think we are stuck with the same old stuff with a new face on it.

With HDR and HLG becoming more and more common, I'm certain that 10bit will keep moving down the consumer ladder. In order to do HLG "properly" as its white papers say, it needs to be 10bit. Currently, only Sony does HLG in 8bit. The market forces are changing and 10bit will be the new standard for most Alphas and XDCAMs in the future. Im sure the A7S-III will be 10bit. Otherwise, it's going to be dead on arrival.

18 hours ago, Cliff Totten said:

Ehhh...maybe. However, I think the industry is demanding full frame right now.

Nope, a small minority are. 

18 hours ago, Cliff Totten said:

Even the Sony Venice broke from the Hollywood standard of super35 and went full frame.

Even VENICE can still be shot in S35 mode, and often is. 

The vast vast majority of blockbusters / commercials / higher budget docos / etc are still shot with S35

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, MurtlandPhoto said:

I just got a notification from UPS that I’m getting a package from JVC tomorrow. I definitely didn’t order anything but I did complete the survey. Anyone else getting something?

I didn't

Yeah I think the Full frame push is more consumer than higher end pros.

Though there is really no reason not to go full frame, its only beneficial.

That said M43 and S35 will continue to sell as long as they can continue to pack more features than the full frame counterparts.

The Pocket 4k (especially if they get codec issues sorted) is an amazing deal and nothing can touch it at least under 3k.

1 hour ago, MurtlandPhoto said:

I just got a notification from UPS that I’m getting a package from JVC tomorrow. I definitely didn’t order anything but I did complete the survey. Anyone else getting something?

Didn't they say the first couple entrants would get some headphones? I opted out when I did the survey.

1 hour ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Yeah I think the Full frame push is more consumer than higher end pros.

The thing about full frame is that it's only been around for a couple years. Most people who started on FF on their 5D2's and see it as "standard" don't have the artistic and financial clout, compared to the vast number of people who grew up on S35 film.

Smaller sensors will always have their place in phones and other compact cameras, or in news and doc. But I think that as people who grew up during/after the DSLR revolution mature and become big name cinematographers, we will see more FF in the narrative film world. These days, every high end pro gets their start as a consumer.

46 minutes ago, KnightsFan said:

Didn't they say the first couple entrants would get some headphones? I opted out when I did the survey.

The thing about full frame is that it's only been around for a couple years. Most people who started on FF on their 5D2's and see it as "standard" don't have the artistic and financial clout, compared to the vast number of people who grew up on S35 film.

Smaller sensors will always have their place in phones and other compact cameras, or in news and doc. But I think that as people who grew up during/after the DSLR revolution mature and become big name cinematographers, we will see more FF in the narrative film world. These days, every high end pro gets their start as a consumer.

At  the same time some of the up and coming cinematographers could also have a soft side for M43 like the GH2 onwards. 

I think M43 definitely doesn't have a huge place in the narrative world at least the higher end. S35 kind of already has that place and things don't usually go downwards.