NEW MACBOOK PRO 15 configuration

Aquilasfx

Hello,

I usually work with these programs, with this computer (MacBook Pro late 2013 2.3 i7 16gb 1600 ddr3, Nvidia geforce GT 750M 2048 )

- Capture one 12 (D800 NEF)

- DaVinci resolve 15 (4K videos)

- Adobe Premiere Pro CC

- After Effects CC

What can you suggest for extra configuration to better video editing for my new Macbook pro 15, that costs 3399€ stock.

Here the extra cost for the extra features:

- Intel Core i9 8‑core to 2,4GHz (Turbo Boost to a 5,0GHz) +220€?

- 32GB di memory DDR4 to 2400MHz +480€?

- Radeon Pro Vega 20 with 4GB memory HBM2 +420€?

- Radeon Pro Vega 16 with 4GB memory HBM2 +120€?

My extra budget will be max 500€

thanks

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hey, I was in the same boat as you a few months ago, with more or less the same laptop. In the end, I questioned whether the laptop really needed upgrading, as it can still edit 4K ProRes for example. Graphics and really big edits of course, do slow it down, and export times were pretty long. What I decided was to hang onto it and spend the money on a desktop for the heavy stuff - rendering/exporting - and use the laptop for lighter work, or on the road. Lowering timeline resolutions and using proxies to speed things up where necessary. If I can, I do rough cuts on the laptop on location and then bring it into the bigger computer to colour, finish and export everything. It works well for me.

So, the question is, do you absolutely need the portability on your new system? For a similar price, you can get a much faster iMac. eg.

2TB 27 inch basic is 2599€ stock (1TB is a little cheaper, but you can't upgrade the GFX card)

- Intel Core i9 8‑core to 3,6GHz (Turbo Boost to a 5,0GHz) +480€

- 16GB di memory DDR4 to 2666MHz +240€

- 32GB di memory DDR4 to 2666MHz +720€

- 64GB di memory DDR4 to 2666MHz +1200€

- Radeon Pro Vega 48 with 8GB memory HBM2 +540€

Let's say your total budget is 3900€, you could upgrade both the processor for 480€ and the GFX card for 580€. The total price for this iMac is now 3859€. In this case, you will only have 8gb RAM, but you can upgrade that yourself at any time, and you can do it much cheaper than getting Apple to do it for you. 

That said, if you are set on getting a new laptop, I would probably do the GFX card or the RAM. The processor is only upgrading you from 2.3GHz (Turbo 4.8) to 2.4GHZ (Turbo 5.0).

This might be helpful:

The tl;dw:

Thermal throttling is improved.

Dont pay extra for for the 2.4Ghz CPU. Performance is identical. With the new Intel chips cheaper to buy the slower processor that has the same boost speed and just try to keep it cool as possible with a laptop cooler. It will sustain it’s higher boost clock longer.

Pay for the Vega 20. I wish apple and AMD had better GPU options with CUDA acceleration. Come on AMD!

Pro Vega 16 vs Vega 20 have the same amount of 4gb. Does the difference is huge?

anyway I can’t afford pro vega 20 + 32gb ram,  total = +840€

I can can afford only pro vega 20 +420€, total +420€

or

32gb ram +420€

+ pro vega 16 4gb + 120€

total +540€

What do you think will be better?