Keyboard for DaVinci Resolve

Aquilasfx

Hello,

I used Premiere for a while to edit my videos, now I switched to DaVinci Resolve, and I would like to buy a keyboard cover or a physical keyboard.

logic keyboards seems to have better colour scheme.

there is also  editorskeys and kbcovers.

What do you suggest?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, thephoenix said:

if you have a premiere keyboard you also can configure resolve to use a premiere keyboard

I don't have any keyboard, only an external Apple magic keyboard wireless (without numpad). Any suggestion? I found that the Avid/Premiere keyboard cover offers better colour scheme 

25 minutes ago, Snowfun said:

What about Blackmagic’s own keyboard?  I’ve preordered one - like the look of the jog/shuttle dial - but no delivery date yet. 

for me is too expensive...

• Super Members

Slightly related as an alternative/supplement are programmable keypads so you can create your own surface.

71IAI8aHGbL._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.06429a248f4b3e4adcffc70e103106ae.jpg

It has 23 programmable keys (ignore the keycaps as you also get a set of blanks) and these can be set to single keys or multi stroke macros.

You can also setup four layers to increase the flexibility and it is very reasonably priced at £34, particularly when compared to something like the X-Keys products.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mechanical-Keyboard-Koolertron-Programmable-Portable-23keys-Blue-Switches-Blue-Backlit/dp/B07SFFHQCJ

On 6/12/2019 at 11:19 PM, BTM_Pix said:

Slightly related as an alternative/supplement are programmable keypads so you can create your own surface.

It has 23 programmable keys (ignore the keycaps as you also get a set of blanks) and these can be set to single keys or multi stroke macros.

You can also setup four layers to increase the flexibility and it is very reasonably priced at £34, particularly when compared to something like the X-Keys products.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mechanical-Keyboard-Koolertron-Programmable-Portable-23keys-Blue-Switches-Blue-Backlit/dp/B07SFFHQCJ

do you have an app for that ? ?

• Super Members
54 minutes ago, leslie said:

do you have an app for that ? ?

You really think I'd have wasted £34 on something that I didn't have a half baked idea for incorporating a processor, some epoxy and an electric blue case?

;)

It is now a new option that I've incorporated for this to enable it to be used as a custom keyboard in LumaFusion

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

You really think I'd have wasted £34 on something that I didn't have a half baked idea for incorporating a processor, some epoxy and an electric blue case?

;)

It is now a new option that I've incorporated for this to enable it to be used as a custom keyboard in LumaFusion

the blue case should complement nicely with the keyboard back lighting.  ?

On 6/12/2019 at 5:19 PM, BTM_Pix said:

Is it for PC, I don't understand if you need an app or not.

• Super Members
10 minutes ago, Danyyyel said:

Is it for PC, I don't understand if you need an app or not.

Its USB and works with both PC and Mac.

There is a helper application linked in the Amazon product page for both to enable the key re-mapping.

500950476_ScreenShot2019-06-14at17_16_25.png.5f5098b4e8942378ad20bc1cff4ce47a.png

The reference to an app was in regards to using it with the iOS editing app LumaFusion which I have developed a bluetooth interface for.

13 hours ago, Evgeniy said:

I think BM keyboard is overpriced for what it is. Having jog is nice but it depends on how responsive and precise it is. 

Yes, I think it possibly is. But given that Resolve is possibly very underpriced for what it is I don’t feel too bad at preordering!

I doubt the jog will be as silky as the dial on the Naim Muso (if you have one near you, try it - it’s utterly gorgeous) but hoping it’ll be decent.

9 hours ago, Snowfun said:

Yes, I think it possibly is. But given that Resolve is possibly very underpriced for what it is I don’t feel too bad at preordering!

I doubt the jog will be as silky as the dial on the Naim Muso (if you have one near you, try it - it’s utterly gorgeous) but hoping it’ll be decent.

I don't have a Naim Muso to compare to but I had a go at the Resolve keyboard at Broadcast Asia and the jog dial was smooth!

20 hours ago, Snowfun said:

Resolve is radically under-priced is the better way to look at it.  Here's a history of Resolve I prepared earlier.....

On 3/7/2019 at 1:47 AM, kye said:

I really think that BM are playing the long game and have set their vision to be really high and are making bold steps to get there.

Some fun facts (via wikipedia)

• DaVinci had been making colour correction systems since 1985
  • Resolve was released in 2004
  • BM bought DaVinci in 2009, at which time Resolve was selling with dedicated hardware solutions for $200k-800k
  • 2010 they released a software-only version for $995 and the hardware version dropped to $30k
  • 2011 they introduced a free version
  • 2013 version 10 introduced video editing
  • 2014 version 11 introduced audio mixing to complete it as a stand-alone NLE
  • 2016 BM buys Fairlight and version 14 includes an integrated version of it
  • 2018 version 15 includes a version of Fusion

That is a pretty spectacular timeline.  In a decade it went from being $200-800K with hardware and colour only to having free, software-only versions available, and integrating world-leading colour with editing, audio, and VFX functionality.

Hardware is obviously more difficult to make those kinds of advances on, but the original BMPCC and now P4K kind of fit that description.  I remember Elon Musk talking about reducing the cost of things by 90% and that idea of radical change seems to also be occurring here.  Other vendors don't seem to really be dancing to the same tune.

Having said all of that though, I still think you'd have to be doing hours of editing / grading per day to justify a control interface, or one that costs more than $50 anyway :)