1080p delivery looks like better than 4K?

Emanuel

1080p delivery looks like better than 4K?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. 1080p from the higher the capture resolution the better or 4K is just a matter to not end blurred?

• 1080p output? ...oh yeah, baby!
    • 4K all way long? ...no less, dude!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The  overhead in post is certainly much better with a 1080p workflow. I would argue the improved post overhead is a much greater difference that any perceptible difference in image quality. Keep in mind, if the target audience is YouTube, a large percentage of mobile devices... including all iOS device, do not support resolutions beyond 1080p.

4 hours ago, kye said:

I didn't vote because you didn't put an option for "it depends".

If you read better, it is there... ; ) Very subtle towards one of the options, but the premise is there : ) Otherwise, it wouldn't make sense, isn't it? Who wants less if you can have more? ; -)

The point in discussion here is when more can end less or as you wish and more accurately I'd say, different.

54 minutes ago, Snowfun said:

I didn’t vote because I can’t remember the last time I actually said either “baby” or “dude” (with or without the “!”).

If I had to vote it’d be for the “it depends” option.

Where are you located? Language depends on many variables such as age, cultural group, geographic region and so on. Only to mention a few.

English is 'the' international idiom by excellence, so it defies you to understand your English is everything you want but beyond your own or the usage you're used to in your circle.

That's the cost to use an international code of communication. Not exactly the same to call it universal.

I often think how hard should be to Andrew as British native to figure out what many of us are willing to mean over his pages.

Me or you included : D

image.png.f37388f032f1e8b8bf640abc7363f837.png

About the poll, it is delivery related as title infers, not acquisition : -)

3 hours ago, Emanuel said:

About the poll, it is delivery related as title infers, not acquisition : -)

Even that depends..  

If you're shooting a long-form without access to huge HDD space then 1080p acquisition might be the best way to go, with some of the smart upscaling algorithms to get it to 4K delivery.  Slow-motion is normally forced at 1080p on affordable cameras, but even if it wasn't the file sizes might be prohibitive for some.

Then in terms of delivery, YouTube compresses the absolute life out of video so you're better off "delivering" in 4K even if you didn't shoot in 4K.  However, if you're delivering straight to the client then a higher quality 1080p might be preferable to a lower quality 4K, for macro-blocking in shadows or other compression artefacts.

Shooting 4K for 1080 delivery has many benefits, but it's not a one-size-fits-all option.

Seems you're placing your vote then or not? : D

This poll is not 1080p vs 4K.

First off, it is restricted to delivery to begin with.

It is not 'can be better' but 'is it better?' ; )

It is not 'high quality 1080p' vs 'low quality 4K' (so, no bitrate, bit-depth, color sampling, codec variables to depend from) but...

...is it 1080p better than 4K or vice versa to deliver?

It is not about upscaling (I wrote 'capture resolution' but I could have written 'source resolution' instead, take it revised & updated now) but can be about downscaling...

It is not about different deliveries either. So, trending YT upscale advantage rules out.

Neither post production is delivery.

In short, 1080p can beat 4K when you feel the need to blur 4K. You'll hardly feel the need to blur 1080p ; -)

It depends.

I would generally choose to shoot in 4K and delivery a 1080p for the increase in flexibility in editing with crops, zooms, stabilization and noise reduction in downsampling.

The overhead to shoot 4K these days is not high anymore. Unless you are doing YouTube with quick turnaround and don’t have a good computer...

YouTube is like the great equalizer. The bitrates are low and people watch 80% on a mobile device. Most TVs do really well upscaling 1080p to 4K. New Samsung 8K tv does it well too. I don’t see any need to shoot higher than 4K unless you have a good reason too.