jacoblewis

Fuji XT3 Issue

23 minutes ago, jacoblewis said:

But the X-T3 is the only camera we are having this issue with. We work with C200, Alexa Mini, FS7 and RED footage and have no problems. It's just the X-T3. It seems to be a common issue among other X-T3 users as well... So I suspect display profiles is not the issue. 

It's an H.265 decoding issue, nothing to do with X-T3. H.265 files shot on GoPros have the same problem.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I've been able to fix this clamping issue in Resolve 16 Studio beta 050 on my Mac by disabling the hardware decoding for h265 in the preferences. I'm 99% sure I tried doing this months ago and it had no effect, but now it's working. Not ideal, but I was not planning to edit in h265 anyway. So I'm just punting the transcode to Resolve. I haven't done any time comparisons between rendering say ProRes out of Resolve vs a h265 to ProRes transcode in EditReady. But the advantage of doing the transcode in Resolve may be that it's part of a general ingest step where some technical luts are applied, as well as sound syncing.

On 8/3/2019 at 1:45 PM, Llaasseerr said:

I've been able to fix this clamping issue in Resolve 16 Studio beta 050 on my Mac by disabling the hardware decoding for h265 in the preferences. I'm 99% sure I tried doing this months ago and it had no effect, but now it's working. Not ideal, but I was not planning to edit in h265 anyway. So I'm just punting the transcode to Resolve. I haven't done any time comparisons between rendering say ProRes out of Resolve vs a h265 to ProRes transcode in EditReady. But the advantage of doing the transcode in Resolve may be that it's part of a general ingest step where some technical luts are applied, as well as sound syncing.

Thanks, that's super helpful. I can't believe this issue hasn't been addressed yet. 

On 6/24/2019 at 12:25 PM, jacoblewis said:

But the X-T3 is the only camera we are having this issue with. We work with C200, Alexa Mini, FS7 and RED footage and have no problems. It's just the X-T3. It seems to be a common issue among other X-T3 users as well... So I suspect display profiles is not the issue. 

I color on an HP Dreamcolor 32 4k monitor. It's calibrated, then tweaked to get as close as my Panasonic 52 inch TV beside it (also calibrated). That's the thing. You find a compromise that works across different sets. Same goes for audio. Sounds good in the car/at home/on my phone.... Good to go.

Throw HLG into the equation...

On 8/21/2019 at 12:21 PM, Wed said:

I color on an HP Dreamcolor 32 4k monitor. It's calibrated, then tweaked to get as close as my Panasonic 52 inch TV beside it (also calibrated). That's the thing. You find a compromise that works across different sets. Same goes for audio. Sounds good in the car/at home/on my phone.... Good to go.

Throw HLG into the equation...

If I disable hardware decoding of h.265 in Resolve, the image displays correctly. As @androidlad said, 

It's an H.265 decoding issue, nothing to do with X-T3. H.265 files shot on GoPros have the same problem.