jacoblewis

Fuji XT3 Issue

I've encountered a weird issue where playing back a 200mbps h.265 file from the Fuji XT3 looks different from computer to computer. I've checked the file in Quicktime, Premiere, Resolve, and finder and it's consistently different between both machines. Any ideas as to why this is happening or how to fix it?

Screenshot from latest 15" MacBook Pro:

143952967_ScreenShot2019-06-10at1_15_45PM.thumb.png.2cf299d3d592f329e7d8905e5cb02691.png

Screenshot from latest 27" iMac:

1371768567_ScreenShot2019-06-10at1_16_13PM.thumb.png.a62dd9adc2518c3f3dd140fb25e96a23.png

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
21 hours ago, jacoblewis said:

I've encountered a weird issue where playing back a 200mbps h.265 file from the Fuji XT3 looks different from computer to computer. I've checked the file in Quicktime, Premiere, Resolve, and finder and it's consistently different between both machines. Any ideas as to why this is happening or how to fix it?

Screenshot from latest 15" MacBook Pro:

143952967_ScreenShot2019-06-10at1_15_45PM.thumb.png.2cf299d3d592f329e7d8905e5cb02691.png

Screenshot from latest 27" iMac:

1371768567_ScreenShot2019-06-10at1_16_13PM.thumb.png.a62dd9adc2518c3f3dd140fb25e96a23.png

What happens when you play videos off of YouTube? Are they the same on both computers?

1 hour ago, DBounce said:

Then that is an Apple issue, not camera problem. You should report this to Apple.

Oh, Apple knows about this issue. Whether they ever intend to do anything about it is another question. It's another reason why it makes sense to grade on a monitor fed by a Black Magic interface. Not that I do that.

There's some literature online addressing workarounds, but I don't think they're great nor do I remember where that literature is. It might have to do with color management and profiles for your monitors, I forget.

Edit: There are also big differences between applications, maybe that's the issue I was thinking of. Anyway, color management is a mess on the Mac from what I understand.

This looks like a problem I've also got on my 15" Macbook Pro 2018. It looks like the difference between the h.265 displaying at full range levels (the less contrasty version on the iMac) and video range levels (the more contrasty version on the Macbook Pro). I believe the correct one is the iMac version. I'm wondering if the reason the Macbook Pro is displaying the image incorrectly is because it's using the T2 chip to play back h.265 movies.

I've found this display issue in Resolve. My workaround has been to transcode from h.265 to ProRes HQ in EditReady before importing to Resolve, and setting the imported clip data levels in Resolve to Full range.

I should add the that reason I came to the conclusion the Full range (iMac) version is correct is because I did a lens cap test with F-log h.265 and the black level fell on 95/1023 which is the correct code value for black in native F-log footage according to the Fuji F-log white paper. 

Additionally, I've found that when software like Resolve is interpreting the h.265 as Video range, it's clipping shadow and highlight detail that is not recoverable, that is visible in the Full range version.

just to chime in - i've not found any solution. transcoding on the macbook wouldn't work as it bakes in the wrong video levels. so far i haven't been able to access the supposed "hiding" info. im 99,9% it's mac hardware, specifically cpu and the way hevc is integrated in OSX fault

2 hours ago, kepache said:

just to chime in - i've not found any solution. transcoding on the macbook wouldn't work as it bakes in the wrong video levels. so far i haven't been able to access the supposed "hiding" info. im 99,9% it's mac hardware, specifically cpu and the way hevc is integrated in OSX fault

EditReady is working for me. I transcode from h.265 to ProRes 422HQ and I'm then able to import the full data levels into Resolve.

18 hours ago, Llaasseerr said:

EditReady is working for me. I transcode from h.265 to ProRes 422HQ and I'm then able to import the full data levels into Resolve.

did you force full levels in resolve or just drag and drop?

18 hours ago, Llaasseerr said:

omfg THANK YOU!!!!! I had tried, among a lot of other things, literally 5 different pieces of software to no avail, all of them just clipped highlights and shadows! when transcoded with editready, the information is still there in the scopes, you just have to pull up the blacks and bring down the whites in the proper 0-100 range. gosh, bless you, man, you made me love my xt3 and macbook again, i had already gotten a cheap pc to transcode the files on that lol 

4 hours ago, kepache said:

omfg THANK YOU!!!!! I had tried, among a lot of other things, literally 5 different pieces of software to no avail, all of them just clipped highlights and shadows! when transcoded with editready, the information is still there in the scopes, you just have to pull up the blacks and bring down the whites in the proper 0-100 range. gosh, bless you, man, you made me love my xt3 and macbook again, i had already gotten a cheap pc to transcode the files on that lol 

Glad it worked for you! Right, I'm just making sure to set the ProRes clips to Full levels when importing to Resolve. The missing image detail is most definitely back. And just to emphasise, I've done tests with both F-log and HLG, and F-log is definitely recorded at Full levels since lens cap black comes in at 95 when the transcoded ProRes is imported into Resolve at Full levels. I'm 95% sure HLG is also meant to be imported as Full levels. I mean why would they make it awkward for the user and say F-log is Full range, but HLG is video range? The HLG black level is not 0 with the lens cap, it's about 32. But that's still half of "video levels" black with HLG which is 64. That's a stop more shadow data than "video levels" black.

On 6/13/2019 at 10:27 PM, kepache said:

Which software was clipping it?

20 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Which software was clipping it?

I've tried Resolve, FCP X and Premiere — They all crush the image on my new MacBook Pro. But the image looks correct on my iMac in that same software. And the software doesn't retain the information, you can't grade the image back to 16-235. It's the weirdest thing.

On 6/19/2019 at 11:05 PM, jacoblewis said:

I've tried Resolve, FCP X and Premiere — They all crush the image on my new MacBook Pro. But the image looks correct on my iMac in that same software. And the software doesn't retain the information, you can't grade the image back to 16-235. It's the weirdest thing.

Sounds like the display profile is set differently on the MacBook vs your iMac. Some software takes into account the display profile and others ignore it. Try setting both your MacBook and iMac screens to a calibrated Display-P3 profile, and see if the problem still exists.

On 6/21/2019 at 3:05 PM, Andrew Reid said:

Sounds like the display profile is set differently on the MacBook vs your iMac. Some software takes into account the display profile and others ignore it. Try setting both your MacBook and iMac screens to a calibrated Display-P3 profile, and see if the problem still exists.

But the X-T3 is the only camera we are having this issue with. We work with C200, Alexa Mini, FS7 and RED footage and have no problems. It's just the X-T3. It seems to be a common issue among other X-T3 users as well... So I suspect display profiles is not the issue.