Metabones Speed Booster for Micro Four Thirds - Review

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[media]http://vimeo.com/72612659[/media]

Speed Booster on the GH3

Buy the full range of mFT and E-mount Metabones Speed Booster adapters here

There's more from EOSHD on the Speed Booster for Micro Four Thirds here, and for E-mount here

The Speed Booster has come to Micro Four Thirds where it turns the smaller sensor into a Super 35mm / APS-C equivalent - the cinema standard. I have been testing the Leica R, Nikon G and Contax Yashica Speed Boosters for Micro Four Thirds for a while now.

Here's the verdict!

[url=http://www.eoshd.com/content/11041/metabones-speed-booster-for-micro-four-thirds-review]Read the full article here[/url]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This may sound silly but never the less. could it be possible as I already have a few nikon lenses, and a Zeiss 50mm CY mount, to mount the zeiss on CY to nikon adapter and then that to the nikon>m43 speed booster,(so CY>nikon to nikon>m43SB) would that work? and if yes could there be any issues? thank you

Any advantage of using Speedbooster with a GH3 if you don't already own a collection of legacy lenses? It seems to me that purchasing something like a Cosina 17.5mm f/.95 lens would make more sense if you're looking for speed and shallow depth of field.For example, the Sigma zoom might have excellent optics and build quality, but it is a monster compared to M4/3 lenses and build quality isn't in the same league as the Voigtlander. The only advantage I see is if you are planning to get a bunch of cheap glass on eBay... I don't really see the crop factor as a compelling reason either, as just about every movie I watch has a different aspect ratio. Meanwhile, Panasonic, Olympus and Leica will most assuredly be coming out with faster glass, like the Nocticron 42.5mm f/1.2, and other manufacturers are doing the same.

Any advantage of using Speedbooster with a GH3 if you don't already own a collection of legacy lenses? It seems to me that purchasing something like a Cosina 17.5mm f/.95 lens would make more sense if you're looking for speed and shallow depth of field.For example, the Sigma zoom might have excellent optics and build quality, but it is a monster compared to M4/3 lenses and build quality isn't in the same league as the Voigtlander.

Voigtlander Noktons are not very small..

What about SB + new dslr lenses (the smaller one, for APS-C not FF)? Not sure, but looks like cheaper alternative:

Sigma 30mm/1.4    -->   21mm/1.0

any 50mm/1.4        -->   36mm/1.0

Samyang 16mm/2  -->   11mm/1.4  (big, but fast wide)

It's cheaper than Noktons and with 2 adapters (SB and regular) you get 6 focal lengths with 3 primes.

For example:

Nokton 17.5mm(1150$) + 25mm(1000$)  = 2150$

= 17.5mm/0.95 + 25mm/0.95

Example above set:

SB(430$) + Sigma 30mm(500$) + Nikon 50mm(400$) + Samyang 16mm(480$) = 1810$

[+ regular adapter] = 11mm/1.4 + 16mm/2 + 21mm/1.0 + 30mm/1.4 + 36mm/1.0 + 50mm/1.4