your favourites vimeo videos

thephoenix

hey all

i have to say vimeo is quite a pain when it comes to finding video i like.

serach engine is pretty no use except for basic search and not alike youtube it doesn't propose you videos that are kinda like the ones you love or are watching.

since then i've have the worst time finding what i like.

so what are your favorites videos on vimeo ? (i have to say i have a preference for shorts ones 4min< but longs are good too)

here are two videos i like, of course there are many others

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well it is from YouTube. But this guys videos are probably just shot with a GoPro. But it is the story that makes his footage happen. I have watched some of his videos several times and it is simple as hell what he does, but boy you just want to find out what is the mystery in the end.

It just proves it is all about the story, not what it was shot with.

5 hours ago, thephoenix said:

man !! not what i expected at all !! no lightning, no grading, basic subs and editing. but i loved it !! i actualy couldn't stop it.

reminds me of a trip where i drove from kiev ukraine to gomel belarus, epic.

Yeah crazy good video that on paper camera wise, and like you said grading, lighting is bad, but it is just such a gripping story you can't stop watching. Just shows story is King.

Yeah but all his videos revolve around picking up hitchhikers. So he does have a story. Sure it is spontaneous, but he has a plan, he is not sure what the end result is, just at as viewer has no clue, and that is what makes it work. I don't see how you can say Just because it is a Vlog it can't have a serious story.

And he has a lot more followers than I do, so he is doing something right we aren't. Nearly a 100,000 followers. As to filming well I guess soon as you hit record you are filming lol.

13 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah but all his videos revolve around picking up hitchhikers. So he does have a story. Sure it is spontaneous, but he has a plan, he is not sure what the end result is, just at as viewer has no clue, and that is what makes it work. I don't see how you can say Just because it is a Vlog it can't have a serious story.

And he has a lot more followers than I do, so he is doing something right we aren't. Nearly a 100,000 followers.

followers isn't a good reference. sorry but so many have otns of followers, if it is your critaeria it is not mine.

i've seen a few of his videos, they are not about hitchhikers, like taking girls in an indian restaurant or going to see a kid in the subway.

if this is writing for you then any tutorial is writing too

it is reportage but not what i meant by film

Well he does get off his ass and actually shoot something. A whole lot more than most of us do on here, me included. So what ever you want to call it, he is making Something happen. All we do on average is just talk about gear. Shit anyone can do that. Talk is cheap as they say. I know this site is sort about gear but..

Seems like what he does would be just as easy for us to do as he does. Better than nothing. Cheap to do also. A GoPro, a selfie stick, and a set of balls. No need to even edit or grade. Easy mode for even a beginner. Now if I just had a Arri to do it with. ?

Just now, webrunner5 said:

Well he does get off his ass and actually shoot something. A whole lot more than most of us do on here, me included. So what ever you want to call it, he is making Something happen. All we do on average is just talk about gear. Shit anyone can do that. Talk is cheap as they say. I know this site is sort about gear but..

casey neistat shoots everyday too just as many others. i don't call them directors.

i do agree on the "at least he is shooting" but hey, it is far more easy to go out in the street and do vloging than set up a project that takes days if not weeks or monthes. it is just not the same thing. to be honest i see a lot here and sometimes think "ok, but you, what do you produce ? let's see what you do" so i kinda understand your feeling.

i got my camera in december and shot 3 films, i can tell you it is not that easy. it also depends on the expetations you have and what you want to do. of course i could go down the street and film whatever i like, this is just not what i want to do.

I might not be what you Want to do but it is good experience learning the camera, getting muscle memory, and learning how to do it and what you need to do to get better. You should have shot 50 things with it not 3. If they suck that is a learning experience. You can't do this stuff by sitting on your butt, spending all day on here, you have to get out and do it over and over and over.

Practice makes perfect as they say. You have to come up with your Own style, not looking at what others have done or do. It is what turns you on. We are Never going to make a Movie like Hollywood can. Why bother, sweating every detail, it will come to you if you have some talent. If you don't have the talent for it well you aren't alone..

So you don't think Casey Neistat has talent and no plan. He isn't a director. Hmm interesting. I guess he just pulls them out of his ass and doesn't edit, grade or nothing. Just shoots anything he sees and says the hell with it, like you think the guy above in the video does also. Just turn on the camera, shoot for like 15 minutes straight and put it in the can.

1 minute ago, webrunner5 said:

I might not be what you Want to do but it is good experience learning the camera, getting muscle memory, and learning how to do it and what you need to do to get better. You should have shot 50 things with it not 3. If they suck that is a learning experience. You can't do this stuff by sitting on your butt, you have to get out and do it over and over and over.

Practice makes perfect as they say. You have to come up with your Own style, not looking at what others have done or do. It is what turns you on. We are Never going to make a Movie like Hollywood can. Why bother, sweating every detail, it will come to you if you have some talent. If you don't have the talent for it well you aren't alone..

well i am a pro photographer for over 20 years now so i guess i have a little idea of waht is getting experience and all the blabla thing.

i just know what i want to do and don't need to get out with my camera shooting whatever goes in front of it as it is not what i want to do. just accept that not everybody do as you expect to. there are many ways to learn, not just one.

you can shoot every day and do some shitty stuff like you can shoot a movie every 5 year that can be great. no rules.

all i can tell you is that the best directors know some movies by heart and learn from watching films. at a point directing is not holding the camera anymore but getting the right team all together. there are some directors that don't know a damn thing about technique, and it is not their concern they have a tema for that.

we have diferent views, this i get.

let's get back to what my thread is about if you please ;)

You can shoot photography for a F ing 100 years and it has shit to do with Video. Video is Hard Mode big time. It take 10 times the skill to do video as Photography. Anyone can take a decent photo now. Go on Flicker and see what 13 year old people do with a Smartphone. Hell that stuff is easy now. Auto everything, and it works damn well, amazingly well.

Just writing a story that might last 4 minutes is a ball buster. Not many can even do that, let alone shoot the damn thing, light it, do the audio, and then get to edit and grade it. Good luck.

Your thread is about what others do. I want to see what You can do. What I can do, others on here can do. I will post no more on it. Waste of my time .

i shoot still life. obviously you don't know what you are talking about.  you can also see people filming with their phones, so what's the point ? they have clients ? they make a living out of it ? thay can assume a job and do exactly what the client needs ? that stuff is easy now.

you think making videos needs more skills than photography, well i don't share that point of view. it's just different. you only think technique, some directors don't have any as i said, it doesn't mean they are stupid or bad directors.

well you can keep arguying as long as you want, we just don't have the same point of view. period. can we now get back to the subject ?

• 2 months later...