Need some advice on a camera decision. Z6/XT-3/D750

Geoff CB

So I have a bit of a dilemma, starting a new job at a movie theater where a large portion of the content will need to be 2048x858 24p to confirm to DCI spec.

I have three options I'm looking at:

Nikon Z6: Already have Nikon glass and will be an image quality upgrade, with autofocus and IBIS support for my lenses.
Fuji XT-3: Better colour, 10-bit. Better internal mics. Most importantly actual 24 fps and 2048x1080 recording. If anyone has an XT-3 and can get me sample footage in this mode I would greatly appreciate it. 
Nikon D750s: Already own 2 of them know how to push them,  could invest heavily in glass/lighting instead of further bodies. 

What do you think?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I shot this in 2k if that helps at all

I am really not sure what to tell you dude. Might advise just sticking with what you have if there is no big reason to upgrade. Unless you like throwing money into the wind.

The XT3 is a great camera though. The Z6 is better if you need that low light full frame performance.

If you aren't shooting for autofocus settings, or need 10bit or 4k24/60, both newer cameras can't warrant the upgrade until after you've made investments in other areas you mentioned.

I'd imagine light and glass will go a long way with the D750. It's too bulletproof of a camera even for full HD.

Expose and record externally though FHD recorders are cheap.. Nail that exposure for now and dress your set, then buy a beefy cinema camera later even better than the options named here!  Or even Panasonics full frame offerings coming up!

I vote light, audio, and set first.

Again, it's only if you don't need autofocus or super detailed 4k renderings of your work. If you don't need technology "pop". Maybe it could depend on your genre. 

My philosophy is this: few prosumer full frame 4k cameras are as bulletproof as the D750 or 5D RAW for image. But if you truly want that digital pop, 5D/D750 will start to feel like a bottleneck at the same time. XT3 for post push and HFR, Z6 to stay with Nikon, but 4K IBIS upgrade.

Your call man! D750 is plenty camera for 2k delivery if you can control your sets, think about it

There is some pretty good buys on the Z6 used now. I think I would lean that way if you want to stay Nikon which makes sense. It is lacking in a few things, but with a external recorder that solves most of it's problems, and it has the potential to be much better than a D750 can ever do. The D750 to me is just Way too much money now for what you can get. The Fuji XT-3 kills it for hardly any more money used if you are not concerned about the Fuji not being FF. You can also go with a Speedbooster on it..

But if you don't really have any glass to talk about I would give the Panasonic S1 a look. I Really like this camera, and it has a damn good upgrade path now. That really is important. Nikon and Fuji as of now is a dead end. Sony is even better. From a A6400 to a Sony Venice, and everything in between.

2 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Nikon D750s: Already own 2 of them know how to push them,  could invest heavily in glass/lighting instead of further bodies. 

They are showing up crazy cheap secondhand now. 

Would you do many three camera set ups? If so, then it would seem a 3rd D750 is an easy choice if you're still happy with  your current D750 models. 

As appealing as the X-T3 is, I'd be looking at either another D750 or a new Z6 if you're doing multicam on the regular. 

The D750 might be US$700ish secondhand, vs $2600ish+ for a Z6 (with Ninja V). 

The Z6 is clearly a "better" pick, but the D750 is waaaay cheaper and would match 100% exactly with your other 2x D750 cameras. 

1 hour ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I shot this in 2k if that helps at all

I am really not sure what to tell you dude. Might advise just sticking with what you have if there is no big reason to upgrade. Unless you like throwing money into the wind.

The XT3 is a great camera though. The Z6 is better if you need that low light full frame performance.

Thanks for doing this test. I'm seeing very nothing here that I could not achieve with the D750. 

1 hour ago, j_one said:

If you aren't shooting for autofocus settings, or need 10bit or 4k24/60, both newer cameras can't warrant the upgrade until after you've made investments in other areas you mentioned.

I'd imagine light and glass will go a long way with the D750. It's too bulletproof of a camera even for full HD.

Expose and record externally though FHD recorders are cheap.. Nail that exposure for now and dress your set, then buy a beefy cinema camera later even better than the options named here!  Or even Panasonics full frame offerings coming up!

I vote light, audio, and set first.

Again, it's only if you don't need autofocus or super detailed 4k renderings of your work. If you don't need technology "pop". Maybe it could depend on your genre. 

My philosophy is this: few prosumer full frame 4k cameras are as bulletproof as the D750 or 5D RAW for image. But if you truly want that digital pop, 5D/D750 will start to feel like a bottleneck at the same time. XT3 for post push and HFR, Z6 to stay with Nikon, but 4K IBIS upgrade.

Your call man! D750 is plenty camera for 2k delivery if you can control your sets, think about it

5 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

They are showing up crazy cheap secondhand now. 

Would you do many three camera set ups? If so, then it would seem a 3rd D750 is an easy choice if you're still happy with  your current D750 models. 

As appealing as the X-T3 is, I'd be looking at either another D750 or a new Z6 if you're doing multicam on the regular. 

The D750 might be US$700ish secondhand, vs $2600ish+ for a Z6 (with Ninja V). 

The Z6 is clearly a "better" pick, but the D750 is waaaay cheaper and would match 100% exactly with your other 2x D750 cameras. 

Thanks guys, every so often I need to get my GAS under control. Love the image from the D750, and my deliverable will not benefit from 4K very much.

Support gear and lighting it is!

4 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Smart move. You could get a monitor to upgrade it's exposure and focus aids. Frame guides as well.

Or a ninja to get Prores out of the box as icing on the cake.

Already have the Small HD focus which I love.

I've dabbled in external recorders, they are not worth the hassle for me to own sperate media and add another layer of complications to my setup. I can never trust the HDMI and setting up rigging to lock it in place is overkill. Just never worth it for me.

• 2 weeks later...