Stallone and Kick Starter - Spare Cash?

FilmMan

http://t.entertainment.ca.msn.com/celebs/sylvester-stallone-asks-fans-for-movie-cash-1

Sylvester Stallone asks fans for movie cash

_h366_w650_m6_otrue_lfalse.jpg

Stallone plays a retired sports coach who writes a self-help book in the drama, but the project hit the buffers shortly after filming began when a major investor pulled out.

Now director John Herzfeld is asking movie buffs to donate cash via the Kickstarter.com fundraising website to finish the project - and Stallone has shot a video message to his fans asking for their help.

He says, "Coming to Kickstarter for John is a great move because he is a filmmaker for the people, by the people, and he makes films that are really enjoyable and understandable, about everyday situations that you can identify with... Reach Me is an incredible film, I'm telling you - it is something that is remarkable and it just needs a little finishing touch, and you guys can provide that."

Herzfeld claims most of the actors in Reach Me have worked for "next to nothing", and as an incentive to encourage donations he is offering 'prizes' including set visits, signed copies of the script, and meetings with the cast.

The fundraising drive on Kickstarter had reached $20,000 as WENN went to press.

Copyright (c) WENN 2013, All Rights Reserved.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The sooner Kickstarter is forgotten the better.  I particularly dislike the way the most successful campaigns are from projects who have huge marketing budgets in the first place.

I am of the impression that crowdfunding shouldn't be allowed on anything except not for profit or good-will projects.  If a commercial project cannot get funding from the bank, it's likely it isn't commercial in the first place and the masses shouldn't be fooled into pedalling the dreams of those who are unwilling to stump up the cash and/or responsibility themselves to see it through.

How much crowdfunded money have digital bolex wasted?  with the budget they acquired from kickstarter the product should have been released 6 months after the funding target was hit.  They have failed, and I doubt will succeed all because their marketing plan was way stronger than their project management, knowledge, skillset and practical experience within the field they were entering.  As a result i imagine they've used up all of that funding on paying for flashy web design, low quality prototyping, silly thick framed glasses and pork pie hats.  

How%20We%20Are%20Keeping%20The%20Cost%20

because we have yet to consider the huge costs we'll accumulate when paying for the skills and knowledge we lack.  Anyway...  It doesn't matter because we've had a few years of crowdfunded jet set lifestyle out of it.  

• Administrators

How bad is it?

Pretty bad I say. It's a real danger for crowd sourcing... What happens when the establishment starts using it? The answer is that you get everyone spending their money on episodes of Veronica Mars rather than on up and coming talents who really need the money.

• Administrators

I like Digital Bolex, Rich!

Forget the hipster-style marketing, they are producing a small engineering miracle. $120,000 or so is nothing to develop a camera with. Naaathing. They are giving us a global shutter & XLR for $2300. Same image quality as $8000 Ikonoskop.

Yes they are delayed. But so were Red, so are Blackmagic, on vastly larger budgets and staffing levels.

I like Digital Bolex, Rich!

Forget the hipster-style marketing, they are producing a small engineering miracle. $120,000 or so is nothing to develop a camera with. Naaathing. They are giving us a global shutter & XLR for $2300. Same image quality as $8000 Ikonoskop.

Yes they are delayed. But so were Red, so are Blackmagic, on vastly larger budgets and staffing levels.

I certainly hope I am wrong, and that they do deliver what they hope to do.  If they do i'll eat my words and my belief in crowd funding will be restored.  And I'd probably buy one as well.    I think my harshness in my previous post towards D Bolex was more driven by my dislike for the current kickstarter situation - highlighted perfectly by the thread title.  

P.S - Oh, and by the way, why the hell does Stallone look so sad? I never got this about him...he just seems depressed all the time. 

mtheory, below is about Stallone's look.  Cheers.

Sylvester Stallone was a difficult birth, yanked from his mother's womb by a doctor's forceps that severed a facial nerve. As a result, the lower left side of his face is paralyzed, including parts of his lip, tongue, and chin, an accident which has given Stallone his trademark snarling look and slightly slurred speech. He spent his first five years in Hell's Kitchen, bouncing between foster homes while his parents endured a loud, troubled marriage. Eventually reunited with them, Stallone's odd face made him an outcast in school, where he was often suspended for fighting, other behavior problems, and poor grades. His father, a beautician, moved the family to Washington DC, where he opened a beauty school. His mother, a flamboyant woman who has become something of a celebrity in her own right, opened a women's gymnasium in 1952, called Barbella's. They divorced when Stallone was 11, and he was later sent to a special high school for "troubled kids," where he was voted "most likely to end up in the electric chair".