4K upgrade path for KineRAW MINI confirmed, with KineDECK 6K external recorder

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[media]http://vimeo.com/72841566[/media]

KineRAW MINI is now available to order from Kinefinity's official European reseller

Kinefinity are at BIRTV in Shanghai this week. Dan Chung has been there to speak to Kinefinity and the European dealer HD Videoshop now have more details on the MINI upgrades in the pipeline.

[url=http://www.eoshd.com/content/11058/4k-upgrade-path-for-kineraw-mini-confirmed-with-kinedeck-6k-external-recorder]Read the full article here[/url]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

So I was on mark it seems. Kinefinity has purloined elements from several other cameras and mashed them together. Brilliant! Add ProRes,serious Audio Inputs and here's your RED Epic killer. Ouch! Now we know why Jim Jannard is pouting. This can't be good for RED.
I can't wait for MiniProRes/RAW ;)

The price for the basic camera is $3,200 (US).  But if you want the ability to record to the upcoming "6K" Kine recorder, you're going to have to spring for the $4,700 model.

http://www.kineraw.com/enproduct.asp?EnBigClassName=KineRAW-MINI&EnSmallClassName=Price_Package

So, you're looking at around $8,000 for 4K RAW. with the Kine camera and the Kine recorder (priced at around $3,200)

The BMCC 4K is looking to be the best value for 4K RAW, at least for the time being...when it comes out.

• Administrators

On the European website, the raw port for the 4K output is a 279 euro optional extra and you can add it to the base 3199 model. But I will investigate to be sure on this.

The recorder price hasn't been announced so you're plucking $8k from the air.

As for the other comments on this thread, you need to raise the quality of your posts guys.

• Administrators

Wow, I'm really liking the spirit of these guys, they are pushing full steam ahead with new products despite a serious threat from BM. It is possible that they are already successful enough in their domestic market to withstand BM's competition.

I'm treating the raw market as a buyer.

Blackmagic haven't delivered for me.

Kineraw are making a more appealing product in the MINI. Slow mo, Super 35mm sensor, 4K upgradable. OK you have global shutter on the 4K BMCC but at the expense of image quality. What's more important?

Well. We all know a Global shutter will make pans 'readable'  by eliminating jitter and jello (J&J) so humn. I'll take 2K in a Global shutter over 4K in a Rolling shutter. Why we can't have a CCD vs CMOS sensor is a mystery to me.That wold end the Rolling shutter issue altogether.
I sense that Kinefinity is well capitalized and when asked how it's possible that they can deliver 4K RAW at less than half the price of the 'other company' ( RED/Sony ) - there was a pause and I could almost hear the silent reply....
..."Because we feed our people white rice three times a day and our workers put in 12 hour long workdays"
That is cause for us to rejoice ( I suppose )
What BM is thinking?... I dunno !

You can use generic media in it. Off the shelf SSDs from Amazon, etc.

Sweeeet. We were going to get a 3rd Black magic cam just for all the greenscreen work we do but factor in the slo mo and this cam could a real option. Shame about the 720p monitoring and No SDI but not the end of the world.

In the video I think he says that the recorder costs the same as the mini.

You're right,

so 4K costs 3200+3200 + VAT means a bit less than 10k. 

More than double the BMPCC.

Than you have to add battery and monitor and/or EVF, you reach FS700+4K recorder price, but FS700 has nicer speed ranges and best mount possible.

They say "mono mic input".. that's quite absurd!

Not really.  Just not the usual.

I can never really understand why people get so over excited about in-camera audio recording specs on cameras quite obviously designed for production work. I'm talking about productions where if you're not using external audio recorders and lack a sound recordist you shouldn't be shooting a production where raw is of such importance.