Why KineRAW MINI could be your next camera

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Mark are you drunk? Not talking about the pocket. Talking about the Production Camera 4K.

What you actually said

The image quality of the sensor in the BMPC is suspect.

I misinterpreted that as meaning the Black Magic Pocket Camera but it's clear you mean the Black Magic Production Camera . So apologies for my misinterpretation However I think it was a fair assumption AS THERE IS NO FOOTAGE that I know of for the 4k  so how on earth did you work 8 stops out?

The BMPC 4K is ergonomically poor and the weight is all on a narrow plain, which isn't something that can easily be solved by rigging, except for adding yet more weight.

And the Mini is a box which needs as much rigging as the BMPC

What I enjoyed about the MINI is that it is so small and light.

The pocket camera is small and light and does prores as well as raw.

The image quality of the sensor in the BMPC is suspect. Some people have said 8 stops usable dynamic range and ISO 400 native

That's hearsay and vague

That's a really noisy, dynamically range challenged chip. I don't see how they can clean up the output to get 12 stops from it. Global shutter has a big trade off for image quality,

You just turned hearsay into fact and made the 4k into an 8 stop camera  because of its global shutter and just decided BMD were what? Lying about it being 12 stops?

unless you're investing millions in bespoke CMOS technology like Sony with the F55.

And you actually know Sony invested millions into global shutter research?

So I'd rather have a rolling shutter and better image quality. That's the main factor for me in the BMPC vs KineRAW MINI debate.

BMD have said the 4k camera will have 12 stops you have decided it wont I guess we will know when the footage comes out but until then you don't know whether its 8 stops or 13 as some have suggested it could be when converted down to 1080p

I think if the KineRAW had a Canon badge on it, the internet would be on fire.

I think you are wrong but then everything in your post is guess work dressed up as fact, All highly misleading. Anyone would think you have an axe to grind against BMD? 

All of these manufacturers get close to optimum but don't reach it.

3 Blackmagic models and none of them satisfies me completely (stops, sensor size, rolling shutter, weight, there's always something wrong).

2 Kinefinity models and they seem to get it right but, honestly, price is almost double.

x Canon cameras that make the job but not out of the box and not without limitations.

Personally I think that the first company that puts on the market a camera with the following specs:

S35 sensor size

FullHD

12 stops

Raw + ProRes or Cineform

normal SSD internal recording

2000-2500 $ price

will sale tons!

I think none of us needs 4k, nor wants to use Compact Flash, nor wants to buy add-ons to make the camera work, nor wants to struggle with crop factors, and most of all none of us goes for Raw if dynamic range is limited.

• Administrators

No dropped frames, but was only a 1 hour test because Cinema5D made an 'exclusive pact' with the reseller to get the full review, something I am not at all pleased with.

Kinefinity need as much exposure as possible.

Glad to hear that...the current BMCC 2.5k has a bad habit of dropping frames and getting hot after half an hour of shooting, I wonder if the 4K camera will be able to avoid these same problems...I'd rather shoot in smooth 2K than have 4K with dropped frames.

They're trying to lock out other people from doing full reviews..? WTF...too much ego and competition in this game nowadays.

Ive been waiting on BMD and changing my order to the pocket for the price I was willing to invest in their cameras at this point. But now Im actually looking into the Kineraw mini. Waiting on a full review from you for things like the false color (easy to remove?) Later today Im going to grab those frames and take a look.

Im being given a pocket cam for  the full week but with the white orbs I have no idea what Im actually comfortable shooting with it. MIght throw the iscorama on it and see what it does to an anamorphic flare lol. But anyways just right now at this point today Im seriously considering this kineraw mini instead of dealing with the BMD BS

3 Blackmagic models and none of them satisfies me completely (stops, sensor size, rolling shutter, weight, there's always something wrong).

2 Kinefinity models and they seem to get it right but, honestly, price is almost double.

x Canon cameras that make the job but not out of the box and not without limitations.

Personally I think that the first company that puts on the market a camera with the following specs:

S35 sensor size

FullHD

12 stops

Raw + ProRes or Cineform

2000-2500 $ price

will sale tons!

I think none of us needs 4k, nor wants to use Compact Flash, nor wants to buy add-ons to make the camera work, nor wants to struggle with crop factors, and most of all none of us goes for Raw if dynamic range is limited.

shit! you read my mind....

S35 sensor size

FullHD

12 stops

Raw + ProRes or Cineform

2000-2500 $ price

will sale tons!

Really weird how the Japanese manufacturers still wont compete. I think though it would be tough for any manufacturer to compete with BMD who own resolve so can afford to do that cheap but also they have cut back on everything except for the image to achieve this price point. I think also the BMD blueprint is the future as far as professional film making goes.

S35 sensor size

FullHD

12 stops

Raw + ProRes or Cineform

2000-2500 $ price

will sale tons!

Did I hear an echo ? :D
either Super35 or DX. Nikon could get on the stick and come up from behind. Not sure why they are not interested in this market space.
Realistically, Sony could do it in partnership with Olympus. The waiting..... The angst......
:angry:

Really weird how the Japanese manufacturers still wont compete. I think though it would be tough for any manufacturer to compete with BMD who own resolve so can afford to do that cheap but also they have cut back on everything except for the image to achieve this price point. I think also the BMD blueprint is the future as far as professional film making goes.

You're clearly not cognizant of how Japanese Industrial Complex works. There are lots of books out there for that.
Basically, they pretend to complete. They actually share a lot of IP and as we already know, fabrication is typically single sourced and multiple 'badged'.
The challenge that all the camera manufacturers have is the same- They have a difficult time parsing the marketplace and therefore of rationalizing thier roll-out roadmaps resulting in the 'Waterfall Approach' to development*. That and the fact that the tech is shifting so quickly, is why we have a mess out there. The consumer is just a dumb patron to them.

What I believe needs to happen soon in Japan is brand consolidations ( ie- mergers). There's too much duplication of effort and I know that the Japanese know that duplication is a WASTE. Once we have brand consolidation, then you'll see the opposite of competition as companies will be reduced to two or three at max serving the gamut of market segments, Something like this:
Sony/Olympus, Nikon/Canon> consumer to Professional
Arri/RED> Hollywood & Bollywood
leaving BlackMagic/Kinefinity as fringe players in the R&D domain serving fist time adopters
(Anybody want to adopt Panasonic? they ought to merge with Sony/Olympus)

BlackMagic is a fringe operation. They remind me of Flip Video ( a brilliant product before they disappeared) Flip was as revolutionary and as quirky as BlackMagic. CISCO bought it, marketed it and in 2011, Killed it outright.

I suspect this is what might happen to BlackMagic, though I doubt anyone will buy it just for Resolve ;)

* Waterfall is actually so Un-Japanese. Develop> Prototype> Test> Release pubic beta>re-evaluate> redesign> repeat
The Japanese did away with this American system and developed Kaizen. In Kaizen each step has  an internal 'redesign loop' resulting in much loger lifecycles and therefore product releases. This is unpalatable to Western consumers, who are constantly looking for 'New' ever 6 months. So the Japanese have had to abandon thier own best pracices of the 70's-90's which has resulted in a return to 1960's American lifecycles. That is why you have hundreds of refreshments per annum that result in only incremental improvements.
It's a mess.