Jump to content
Simon Young

iPad OS - making the iPad Pro a viable editing option?

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I only downloaded it yesterday night so I didn't really get to play yet but I'm already happy that the app icons got smaller and more of them fit into the dock. iOS on the iPad always seemed really clunky because it didn't make any use of the bigger screen.

I hope that now with the new iPad OS we also finally get some upgraded/overhauled iOS apps for stuff that was bad like Instagram, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently got an iPad pro with hopes of being able to use it for Lightroom editing, 360 editing with the Insta 360 One X as well as potentially some basic video editing. I've downloaded the new iPadOS beta and so far I don't think it's there yet.

I'm using an older iPad Pro 10.5 inch so it still has a lightning connector and not USB-C, but connectivity has been patchy with drives, I've only managed to get it working with HFS formatted drives and not exFAT drives, which most of mine are.

Using an iPad for productivity still feels like a hack to be honest. Maybe I'm so used to traditional operating systems and form factors but nothing about it feels easy right now. The screen is small, it feels weird to hold it and do detailed work, using a touchscreen feels slower and less precise than a mouse, and the file system and file management is horrible. Even with the new iPadOS it feels like it's been bolted on. You still don't have true access to a proper file system, which makes professional work very hard, especially under time constraints.

For amateur, fun work, I can see it can be pleasant, but my idea of hell is being forced to do all my work on an iPad instead of Mac Pro with dual screens and with a mouse and keyboard.

It's an interesting experience, and I'm sure in a few years it could be different, but right now I think iPads are just not ready for pro video and photo use, certainly not when you regularly have to copy, rename, organise, transcode, export, reversion etc large amounts of big files. Even if you can do it, you can't do it as fast and as directly as you can on a proper OS.

Added to that, the apps available are very dumbed down right now, even something like Lightroom, which I was impressed by. Dongles and trying to connect everything to get files on and off the iPad? Don't even go there.

I think I'll keep it, but probably just as a toy now. I'm also seeing if it can replace a paper note pad for my scribbles in the office.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The older ones a a lot slower than the new ones. The 10.5" one is down there with a iPhone 7. We have a case for the 11" with a Bluetooth keyboard and it is not too bad. My Apple keyboard went belly up so haven't replaced that yet to try. We haven't spent to much time utilizing the new features. Been busy as of late.

https://browser.geekbench.com/ios-benchmarks

And as you can see here the new 11" is as good if not better than a 2018 15" MBP. Pretty amazing. And they are half the price of the MBP. And the Type C port on them is the same as Thunderbolt 3.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/11/01/2018-ipad-pro-benchmarks-geekbench/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

The older ones a a lot slower than the new ones. The 10.5" one is down there with a iPhone 7. We have a case for the 11" with a Bluetooth keyboard and it is not too bad. My Apple keyboard went belly up so haven't replaced that yet to try. We haven't spent to much time utilizing the new features. Been busy as of late.

https://browser.geekbench.com/ios-benchmarks

And as you can see here the new 11" is as good if not better than a 2018 15" MBP. Pretty amazing. And they are half the price of the MBP. And the Type C port on them is the same as Thunderbolt 3.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/11/01/2018-ipad-pro-benchmarks-geekbench/

All true, but that doesn’t change the fact that the iPad isn’t a straight laptop replacement for most video or photo professionals yet in my opinion. It needs a proper file system first and foremost, and the secondary concerns are proper external monitor support, and better mouse and keyboard input.

once you’ve added a keyboard, mouse, and got all the necessary dongles, cables and drives hanging off it, you really might as well get a laptop!

of course if you’re a casual user who just wants to consume media, or even do some less demanding productivity tasks, then the iPad is beautiful machine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would agree. But they are mainly to be used with the touchscreen or the Apple Pen. So the keyboard and mouse is really no needed often. Sure it is just a start on them, but I can see them nearly taking over MBP sales for most peoples needs down the road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

I would agree. But they are mainly to be used with the touchscreen or the Apple Pen. So the keyboard and mouse is really no needed often. Sure it is just a start on them, but I can see them nearly taking over MBP sales for most peoples needs down the road.

I agree with that, except that for me and many working professionals a mouse and keyboard is essential to the way we work.

im also aware that this is perhaps old fashioned already, and in 10 year sales time younger editors might be doing their work with swipes and finger gestures because they will have grown up with iPads since birth. I’m excited to see where it goes, as everything changes and no workflow lasts for very long these days.

as someone in my late 30s I’m young enough to move with the changes for now, but I’m also certain that this new technology is going to radically alter video production very soon, probably with the vloggers and youtubers first, with that filtering it’s way up over a short amount of years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW there is a weird bug (or possibly a strange apple feature) in ipad OS. By default it doesnt recognize SD cards (or at least mine - A7riii, DJI products.) They show up as '#ERRORNAME' and are 'read only' (you cannot copy information anywhere.)

You can 'correct' this by inserting the card into a computer and 'renaming' the card to a custom name of choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine locked up when we were doing multitasking and some goofy looking little widow appeared. Would not reset, couldn't shut it down, and well.. you can't pull the battery so we had to leave it running all night to run the battery down. Turned it back on in the morning, seems perfectly fine now?? Interesting to say the least. But I am running the Beta OS version. A bug for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

Mine locked up when we were doing multitasking and some goofy looking little widow appeared. Would not reset, couldn't shut it down, and well.. you can't pull the battery so we had to leave it running all night to run the battery down. Turned it back on in the morning, seems perfectly fine now?? Interesting to say the least. But I am running the Beta OS version. A bug for sure.

I think the same thing happened to me.  Apps would still work, but I couldn't go to the home screen or close the apps that were on the screen, the buttons did nothing.  Not sure what iPad you have but on the 2018 pro, you can push volume up, then volume down then hold the power button for about 5-10 seconds and it will reboot itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a iPad Pro 9.7" and had completely forgotten one fact: it only has USB 2. So the new OS is borderline useless because it's still a nightmare to get the files onto the iPad from a SD card.

Ugh! And the trade-in value if I give it back to Apple and buy a new one is a whopping 180 € max. So I guess we stay with using it for internet surfing, etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2019 at 4:46 AM, BTM_Pix said:

I was hoping the integration with the WD Wireless Pro drive was going to be the missing piece of the puzzle as it is integrated straight into LumaFusion for import and export and it is conceptually great but having picked one up a few weeks ago the reality doesn't match unfortunately.

......

So, to return to the original post ;) anything that can sort out the file handling will be very welcome.

The ProRes thing is getting in the way for me now though and that still might make the new version of Gnarbox worth a look as if it can also be directly attached then that will be the whole import/transcode solution sorted.

 

The gnarbox 2 is the real deal when it comes to this... (had it a few weeks)

As SD card back up it is 'ok fast' - seems to match it 75MB/s claims - also does a checksum to verify the back up - lets you backup to the Gnarbox and an external SSD simultaneously.

Integration with Lumafusion, Lightroom CC, Photo Mechanic (via the selects app) is spot on. Wifi transfer is fast and it lets you do usb-c transfer too (over 200MB/s on my pc.) You can do in and out points straight from the Gnarbox in Lumafusion and then it only imports the in/out footage. Wish there was better integration with Premiere Pro.

Yes, it is expensive but way better than some of the alternatives I have wasted money on (Gnarbox 1/WD passport pro).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Robert Collins said:

The gnarbox 2 is the real deal when it comes to this... (had it a few weeks)

As SD card back up it is 'ok fast' - seems to match it 75MB/s claims - also does a checksum to verify the back up - lets you backup to the Gnarbox and an external SSD simultaneously.

Integration with Lumafusion, Lightroom CC, Photo Mechanic (via the selects app) is spot on. Wifi transfer is fast and it lets you do usb-c transfer too (over 200MB/s on my pc.) You can do in and out points straight from the Gnarbox in Lumafusion and then it only imports the in/out footage. Wish there was better integration with Premiere Pro.

Yes, it is expensive but way better than some of the alternatives I have wasted money on (Gnarbox 1/WD passport pro).

 

Yes the new gnarbox looks awesome. Now I just wish LumaFusion would get it together and implement scopes and the possibility to add another more than one lut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

Yes, it is expensive but way better than some of the alternatives I have wasted money on (Gnarbox 1/WD passport pro).

Yep, to say I have buyer's remorse about that WD is a bit of an understatement but I can't say you didn't warn me!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

The gnarbox 2 is the real deal when it comes to this... (had it a few weeks)

As SD card back up it is 'ok fast' - seems to match it 75MB/s claims - also does a checksum to verify the back up - lets you backup to the Gnarbox and an external SSD simultaneously.

Integration with Lumafusion, Lightroom CC, Photo Mechanic (via the selects app) is spot on. Wifi transfer is fast and it lets you do usb-c transfer too (over 200MB/s on my pc.) You can do in and out points straight from the Gnarbox in Lumafusion and then it only imports the in/out footage. Wish there was better integration with Premiere Pro.

Yes, it is expensive but way better than some of the alternatives I have wasted money on (Gnarbox 1/WD passport pro).

 

This is good to know. Just upgraded to iPad OS a few days ago as I was traveling and didn't want to disrupt anything with a major OS update. Now trying to get an updated file handling system sorted. I'll be traveling for 10 days in November and using the iPad Pro as my only photo/video editing solution, sounds like I need to add the Gearbox to my kit.

Cheers

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2019 at 2:00 PM, Simon Young said:

Yes the new gnarbox looks awesome. Now I just wish LumaFusion would get it together and implement scopes and the possibility to add another more than one lut.

According to Phillip Bloom who is testing Lumafusion 2.1, it should be released 'any day now'. I doubt it will have the changes you want but it will definitely have exporting xml for integration with Premiere and FCP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...