iPad OS - making the iPad Pro a viable editing option?

Simon Young

I have been thoroghly enjoying fast editing with Lumafusion on my iPad Pro 2018. As we already know, it handles multiple 4K tracks with ease, making the editing part of the project a breeze, compared to the sluggish performance from Premiere in particular. 

File managment is however, as we also already know, a fucking nightmare on the current OS. Hopefully this will be rectified with the upcoming new iPad OS (Apple is however flaky as usual about it). But if external storage will work properly with this update I really feel the iPad Pro is becoming a very good option when it comes to creating on the fly, with minimal hassle. As a journalist I see many benefits from a fast and light weight option like this on the field, when speed and quick turnaround is key.

What do you guys think? And here's hoping Lumafusion adds waveforms and scopes ASAP.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/06/03/apple-supplements-ios-13-with-new-tablet-specific-ipad-os-branch

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

I was hoping the integration with the WD Wireless Pro drive was going to be the missing piece of the puzzle as it is integrated straight into LumaFusion for import and export and it is conceptually great but having picked one up a few weeks ago the reality doesn't match unfortunately.

I was given pause for thought by @Robert Collins report about it being slow when I mentioned getting one but the demos I'd seen of it with LumaFusion looked workable and thought it might work better as it was a specific integration job they did for it like they do with Gnarbox.

Unfortunately, the performance of the drive is absolutely shit with its own application let alone with someone else's.

The standalone auto import from SD card is not only incredibly slow but also very, very suspect.

On three different cards from three different camera types it purported to have finished copying but had failed to import all of the files and no way would I trust it again to do it on its own.

The less said about its wireless transfer speed, even on 5.8Ghz band, the better.

So, to return to the original post ;) anything that can sort out the file handling will be very welcome.

The ProRes thing is getting in the way for me now though and that still might make the new version of Gnarbox worth a look as if it can also be directly attached then that will be the whole import/transcode solution sorted.

• Super Members

I think whats very interesting is how hard Apple themselves are pushing LumaFusion in their own ads.

I'm not sure whether it means they are more likely to offer the sort of file handling that is required or that is more likely they are going to buy them out !

The feedback I've been getting regarding my interface bridge for LumaFusion also tells me that it is definitely on the rise as an alternative to a desktop editor for some projects even when people are sat at an actual desktop rather than just out in the field.

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I think whats very interesting is how hard Apple themselves are pushing LumaFusion in their own ads.

I'm not sure whether it means they are more likely to offer the sort of file handling that is required or that is more likely they are going to buy them out !

The feedback I've been getting regarding my interface bridge for LumaFusion also tells me that it is definitely on the rise as an alternative to a desktop editor for some projects even when people are sat at an actual desktop rather than just out in the field.

Well it isnt that surprising. Lumafusion is the killer app on an ipad pro. You can pretty much justify buying an ipad pro on the back of this app. Still if Apple genuinely cares about the app, they really need to let us have the ability to transfer to and from the app via a proper working usb-c port. Really it is very little to ask for from a product with 'pro' in its name (and it would also go a long way in terms of justifying the 'pro' v 'standard' ipad price premium.

7 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

On three different cards from three different camera types it purported to have finished copying but had failed to import all of the files and no way would I trust it again to do it on its own.

I always, always doubly check the first and last filenames and sizes on SD with what's been copied with this drive. It burned me once, but luckily just some family videos. Another tip, always format your cards in camera after completing the copy. I've also had unreadable files if I didn't format before using them again. :) 

• Super Members
5 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

Well it isnt that surprising. Lumafusion is the killer app on an ipad pro. You can pretty much justify buying an ipad pro on the back of this app. Still if Apple genuinely cares about the app, they really need to let us have the ability to transfer to and from the app via a proper working usb-c port. Really it is very little to ask for from a product with 'pro' in its name (and it would also go a long way in terms of justifying the 'pro' v 'standard' ipad price premium.

My fear is that Apple starts to care about LimaFusion a bit too much and buys the company out!

1 hour ago, Anaconda_ said:

I always, always doubly check the first and last filenames and sizes on SD with what's been copied with this drive. It burned me once, but luckily just some family videos. Another tip, always format your cards in camera after completing the copy. I've also had unreadable files if I didn't format before using them again. :) 

Coincidentally, I got it just before I went on my recent holiday and this was its first outing and it did both of those tricks too.

It musn't like people enjoying themselves ;)

6 minutes ago, Robert Collins said:

Ipad OS also includes mouse support (both usb and bluetooth.)

Well thats saved me a job as I was just about to add support for a trackball mouse to my bridge interface for LumaFusion!

Direct file transfer through USBc and a revamped file management system are huge - same for the new multitasking setup. It now seems to behave like an actual computer in that regard. Apple wants the iPad pro to replace a laptop, for me its been tough giving mine up because of the workarounds to simply get a track from Artlist into iMovie or Lumafusion. If the new Files folder is open to move content to any app or dump cards into, then my beloved little Macbook's days are numbered. A mouse would be a welcome addition as well - but I do like working with the pencil. This can't come fast enough for me.

Steve Jobs must be rolling in his grave, but this is what the iPad pro needs in order to fulfill Apple's marketing claims.

Chris

11 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

My fear is that Apple starts to care about LimaFusion a bit too much and buys the company out!

Keep that on the downlow. iMovie is amazing, and Apple doesn't need to poach Luma in any way... yeah....

12 hours ago, Simon Young said:

Apparently we will be able to use our iPads as a "second" screen to our Macbooks. I wonder how that will work out w/r/t latency, compatibility etc. Could be a potentially be very useful...

You can already do that on Mac and PC. https://www.duetdisplay.com/

There is a slightly noticeable latency

The mirroring apps have been around for awhile, but various OS updates impacted their functionality. This will be native and looks to be more featured. Plus its free.

As far as release date, they say "fall" -- most seem to think it'll get rolled out in September with the iPhone 11, or X+1, or whatever silly naming convention Apple comes up with next.

Chris

15 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

If you don't mind a bit of pay to play then you can sign up for an Apple developer account ($99) and download it straight away.

Works out about $20 a month to not have to wait !

I think you can sign up (free) to the Apple Beta Program and get a beta mid July (as opposed to waiting until end September.)

I am pretty excited about the ipadOD (long time since I have thought that about an Apple announcement. Now that ipad has its own OS, it is no longer shackled to the iphoneOS and can evolve into an OS for content creators as well as content consumers. So the announced features should only be the beginning - and from what I have seen so far they look pretty good.

amazin!

ive tried mirroring apps that havent worked well, but then again i want the latency to be next to zero

super interested to see how well sidecar works~! tbh, even if gen 1 sucks, apple will figure it out in the future. im so glad to see "iPad OS", that means theyre finally all in on the ipad being more than a giant iphone that doesnt make phone calls