Perspective Aerials match MoVI performance at 1/3rd of price

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[media]http://vimeo.com/71582077[/media]

Perspective Aerials have released (in small quantities) a new $4500 rig which promises to replicate the performance of MoVI for much less than FreeFly System's $15,000 asking price.

[url=http://www.eoshd.com/content/11026/perspective-aerials-match-movi-performance-at-13rd-of-price]Read the full article here[/url]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Looks pretty good however that very first shot (with the title and small box with demonstration) looked nowhere near as stable as the Movi demonstration where the guy is running in circles around it.

Actual shots looked good though, and much much more affordable.

Looks pretty good however that very first shot (with the title and small box with demonstration) looked nowhere near as stable as the Movi demonstration where the guy is running in circles around it.

Actual shots looked good though, and much much more affordable.

It's because the guy demonstrating rock steady was sliding the camera from side to side while also making rotational moves, he did not keep his movements tight. Whereas the movi guy did the same demo without sliding the camera from side to side, he kept his rotational movements in a tight circle without sliding side to side. The key is to watch the actual camera base and body...both rock steady and movi stay perfectly level.

The technology is similar to what is being used with R/C helicopters & that has matured very rapidly in the last year or two. There are going to be a whole load of similar devices at lower & lower prices. Here's one from Varizoom http://www.varizoom.com/product-p/flowcam.htm

Wow looks like Varizoom's offering is more money at $6000 but can only carry DSLRs. Rock-steadi is $4500 and like movi can fly the Epic with accessories.

I would not be an early adopter of this tech unless you've got money to burn. As we've seen the prices are plummeting,

I venture to guess within a year we'll have a <2k option. It would be nice to replace the glidecam, sliders etc with this.

I wonder if the setup and use is as quick and easy as the video implies.

I'm also looking forward to hearing how it feels to work with one for hours on end.

I wouldn't go as far as call it a hobbyist gimbal based only in the payload capacity. You can have a gimbal with a higher payload capacity but with cheaper materials/design/programming/customer support/etc. and that won't make it a Pro piece of equipment.

Each brand has different models depending on the payload. BeSteady is working on the bigger model which will fly a RED and a BMCC. I think it will hold up to 11 pounds.

I would not be an early adopter of this tech unless you've got money to burn. As we've seen the prices are plummeting,

I venture to guess within a year we'll have a <2k option. It would be nice to replace the glidecam, sliders etc with this.

I wonder if the setup and use is as quick and easy as the video implies.

I'm also looking forward to hearing how it feels to work with one for hours on end.

We'll if you ever have used a steadicam for long hours, you'll understand how this can be a very attractive option to try out. Your back will thank you for it in the long run.

We'll if you ever have used a steadicam for long hours, you'll understand how this can be a very attractive option to try out. Your back will thank you for it in the long run.

That is what I mean. I doubt lugging this thing around for hours on end is comfortable either. I'm curious how it compares.

That is what I mean. I doubt lugging this thing around for hours on end is comfortable either. I'm curious how it compares.

The closer your hands are to your waist, the easiest it is to carry a rig for long hours, I've done it, and I've also carried a light steadicam setup for almost an entire wedding many times and I would choose handheld any moment.

I would try to fit one of these gimbals into a shoulder rig with long handles for those moments where there's not much action and the use the top handle for the fast action ones.

Anyways, I think in a couple of months we'll see lots of review videos. According to their facebook sites, Defy gimbal is already shipping  their smallest rig and Bestady will on mid September.

Folks in the RC world have been designing and building these rigs long before the movi. From 2010 - http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ewK7NkcCFCk&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DewK7NkcCFCk%26feature%3Dplayer_embedded

The portocam is using the same technology : http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W0DM7e97Mwo&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DW0DM7e97Mwo

DJI produced the Zenmuse for the GH2 almost 2 years now and guys have been converting those for handheld use before movi. Photographers and video guys think all of this is new revolutionary tech. Everyone is late to the party. I can guarantee if the movi guys didn't hire LaForet for its debut, movi would have been another missed opportunity for the video guys and it would have mostly remained known to the RC folks.

Which party? the vast majority still use traditional steadicam systems these days because the most of them don't have the time to DIY stuff like this, you need a company that can offer ready to use tools and still be there to give you support when needed.

Yep, if Freefly didn't hire V Laforet perhaps Movi wouldn't be as popular as it is know, but they did and there's merit to that.  Now we just have to wait and watch the prices go down as new companies start to do these gimbals. 

2014 will be a good year to buy a steadicam system on ebay, just watch.

Does anyone know if it's possible to use lenses on a rig like this that zoom and would affect the balance? Assuming you could wire a camera to remotely zoom, would it affect the rigs balance? Or can they actively compensate for payload changes?

What I've been reading is that you have to balance the camera on all 3 axis (height, side to side and fore and aft) for an optimum performance, which means you will put less stress on the motors or even avoid burning them if the camera is to heavy on one side.