NX1 Stuck pixels?

heart0less

Hi!

I decided to try out the (in)famous NX1 and managed to buy one in a kit with 16-50 f/2-2.8 S for a 1000€ on eBay.

I got it today and immediately took some test photos.

Unfortunately, I noticed some strange blobs near the upper border of the image.

100% crops:

small_SAM0052.thumb.jpg.590cc29ca1c3d96775a2b61c588cde40.jpg

small_SAM0049.thumb.jpg.2192d2c3a074acd30147923a7179fd40.jpg

Are these stuck pixels?

They are on every photo I took, always in the same place.

However, when I took a body cap photo, I couldn't spot them no more. The photo is pitch black.

SAM0048.thumb.jpg.6d95e27126fc66a034d3078a0e39b727.jpg

Both camera sensor and lens are clean, they have no dust, scratches, etc.

I didn't drag the shutter. The blobs appear even at 1/250th

I performed a couple of Sensor Cleaning in-camera, didn't notice any difference.

Followed this thread: https://***URL removed***/forums/thread/3911003 - no help, at all.

Any ideas?

I can always return it, the seller is a great, nice guy.

Thanks.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'd return it. The first NX1 I bought had stuck pixels that looked like that right in the center of the screen and they messed up the focus peaking. But they weren't always there either. I tested the camera maybe 5 times and only saw the stuck pixels 4 of them. There's probably some remapping algorithm to compensate for bad pixels (all cameras have them) which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. It might also be ISO dependent whether they are visible or not, I vaguely remember the bad pixels being worse at high ISO.

I returned that NX1 and got a different one, which also has a bad pixel like the middle one in your 100% crops.

I suppose it could be a lens problem, but it doesn't look like it, and you can easily check by trying a different lens.

I checked it with some manual lenses and the blobs are still there.

Bill from dpreview.com (https://***URL removed***/forums/thread/4397924) conducted some tests and concluded that it's most likely laser damage.

Nonetheless, I managed to come to an agreement with the seller and got a quite substantial discount - 350 €.
That's 650 € for a body and 16-50 S.

I decided to keep the camera and it already proved useful - I shot a live studio session yesterday and will share some stills as soon as my issues with Resolve are solved.
( :

4 hours ago, heart0less said:

I checked it with some manual lenses and the blobs are still there.

Bill from dpreview.com (https://***URL removed***/forums/thread/4397924) conducted some tests and concluded that it's most likely laser damage.

Nonetheless, I managed to come to an agreement with the seller and got a quite substantial discount - 350 €.
That's 650 € for a body and 16-50 S.

I decided to keep the camera and it already proved useful - I shot a live studio session yesterday and will share some stills as soon as my issues with Resolve are solved.
( :

Wow! You practically got the body for free.

I am not familiar with the issue, it could be laser damage as it is quite common in recent years, but the laser damage I have seen is substantial (the camera is unusable after the damage).

Resolve accepts the files natively for me.

What do you think of the combo? NX1 is starting to show its age,but the 16-50S is still unbeatable (similar Fuji is NO IS and doesn't start from 2f). In general, I found it almost a tier better in photography vs m43 cameras (28megapixels give some croping options also), and good enough for most low budget jobs for video with very cheap media and controlled disk space (good for performances and long videos). Battery life (from 4 years old batteries) is amazing also, I recorded a 2hours play some weeks ago with just 1 battery per camera. For photo work it is even better.

2 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Resolve accepts the files natively for me.

Oh, it's not H265 files that are bothering me - these work just fine.

I just can't export stills at their original quality - they get super compressed in the process.

3 hours ago, Kisaha said:

What do you think of the combo?

Can't really say, since I've played with it for only one day!
( :

Unfortunately, the venue was so poorly lit, that I had to ditch 16-50 and grab my Minolta 58/1.4, which was a lifesaver. Not only it's brighter, but also much more reliable and predictable, when you have to set your focus manually.

3 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Battery life (from 4 years old batteries) is amazing also, I recorded a 2hours play some weeks ago with just 1 battery per camera.

Yup, that's what caught my attention, too!

I was recording for almost 6 hours and the original battery lasted for about 3 h.
Generic batteries are a bit weaker (even though they have 20% more capacity [allegedly] )  and for the last 3 hours I used up one and 30% from another one.

What nobody mentions is NX1's incredible immunity to high temperatures.
Like I said before: I was using the camera constantly for a couple of hours, recording in Pro quality UHD in 28 °C (no direct sunlight, though - everything was done indoors) and I did not get any single warning / drop frames / unexpected errors.
Wow.

Every Sony camera would cry for help and eventually drop dead after 15 minutes.

1 hour ago, heart0less said:

Oh, it's not H265 files that are bothering me - these work just fine.

What nobody mentions is NX1's incredible immunity to high temperatures.
Like I said before: I was using the camera constantly for a couple of hours, recording in Pro quality UHD in 28 °C (no direct sunlight, though - everything was done indoors) and I did not get any single warning / drop frames / unexpected errors.
Wow.

Every Sony camera would cry for help and eventually drop dead after 15 minutes.

Oh, we did say; ergonomics, menu system, touch interface, battery life and heat dissipation were industry best until recently, and still are in some of them. Also the 70minutes continuous recording was a first at the time.

I have used the NX1 cameras for hours in the warmest (and saltiest) Mediterranean conditions. Not even a hiccough. Ever.

Enjoy your NX combo. I am sure it will set some standards for you.