Panasonic S1 Firmware Update

currensheldon

I think B&H jumped the gun this morning and it appears they have the Panasonic S1 firmware update key available already (and it's free with an S1 purchase right now). Nothing really happens when you click it, but looks like it will be $199. 

1676940278_ScreenShot2019-05-31at9_00_58AM.thumb.png.da0d414482841c83618435ebc76b37c3.png

Sort of annoying you can get it for free with an S1 purchase after I bought mine already. I did get a free battery and battery grip with my purchase, but the battery is $86 and I'll probably never use the battery grip, so I think I'd rather have the free firmware upgrade... 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, New_E said:

Confirmed. The firmware is free for existing S1 customers and new buyers until September 30th! 

Can't wait to get mine. 

I was an early adopter. Bought my S1 by April 4th, so got free battery grip, free battery, free 3-year extended warranty, and now free upgrade for $2500.

Bargain of the year! 

Here the S1 is overpriced (about $2500), with no freebies, terrible after sales, no extended warranty and no free accessories.

No wonder they aren't going particularly well here. 

• Administrators

Probably a case of sending your receipt to Panasonic by email or sending them your serial number, then they send you the Upgrade Key.

It's free 10bit 422 VLOG so probably worth a quick email, just my guess.

6 hours ago, sanveer said:

Here the S1 is overpriced (about $2500), with no freebies, terrible after sales, no extended warranty and no free accessories.

So $600 more than a Sony A7 III but superior specs in almost every category? Picture quality, colour, video modes, codec, frame rates, 4K 60, slow-mo 180fps, EVF, back screen, ergonomics, weather sealing, build quality, battery life, HDMI output (full size) and top LCD display?

Sounds like a terrible deal! Damn if only it came with a freebie like a memory card!

20 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Probably a case of sending your receipt to Panasonic by email or sending them your serial number, then they send you the Upgrade Key.

It's free 10bit 422 VLOG so probably worth a quick email, just my guess.

So $600 more than a Sony A7 III but superior specs in almost every category? Picture quality, colour, video modes, codec, frame rates, 4K 60, slow-mo 180fps, EVF, back screen, ergonomics, weather sealing, build quality, battery life, HDMI output (full size) and top LCD display?

Sounds like a terrible deal! Damn if only it came with a freebie like a memory card!

It was a TYPO (my predictive text has a curious habit of attempting to finish every sentence I begin). Here is about $2700-2800. Mostly I am disappointed that people via B&H had freebies like batteries and battery grips and extended warranties thrown in, at no extra cost. 

I hope they throw in the VLOG atleast. If it's close to 14 Stops, that would be superb.

19 hours ago, Cliff Totten said:

But how do current S1 owners get it on July 8? Is it still going to be a retail box? Are we supposed to get a voucher? Will it just be a simple web site login and upgrade until Oct 1 arrives?

Its all a mystery right now. We dont even know what bit rates we are getting.

You are suppose to register the camera 

https://shop.panasonic.com/3-year-warranty

I think they will send you the code later.

On 5/31/2019 at 3:34 PM, currensheldon said:

Wow! That's a really nice move by Panasonic - really looking after us early adopters. Suddenly now, this is definitely the best value for money pro mirrorless camera at $2500 (or so). 

Yeah I'm pleasently surprised.

I got it for $2250 when I preordered with free battery and grip ($435), 3 years extended battery, and now free vlog upgrade ($250). I sold the battery grip making it $2000. 

I initially had a budget for $3500 for a new camera upgrade. Everyone like to say this is an expensive camera, but I find it the best bargain camera for the features it has. 

5.76 million dot EVF, IBIS, dual card slot, 10 bit vlog, new sensor, 2.1 million dot fully touch screen LCD, good ergonomic and weather sealing. They just need to improve the eyeAF/AF now.

5 hours ago, PrometheusDM said:

You are suppose to register the camera 

https://shop.panasonic.com/3-year-warranty

I think they will send you the code later.

Yeah I'm pleasently surprised.

I got it for $2250 when I preordered with free battery and grip ($435), 3 years extended battery, and now free vlog upgrade ($250). I sold the battery grip making it $2000. 

I initially had a budget for $3500 for a new camera upgrade. Everyone like to say this is an expensive camera, but I find it the best bargain camera for the features it has. 

5.76 million dot EVF, IBIS, dual card slot, 10 bit vlog, new sensor, 2.1 million dot fully touch screen LCD, good ergonomic and weather sealing. They just need to improve the eyeAF/AF now.

Does the S1 have Eye AF now?

On 5/31/2019 at 4:03 PM, currensheldon said:

I think B&H jumped the gun this morning and it appears they have the Panasonic S1 firmware update key available already (and it's free with an S1 purchase right now). Nothing really happens when you click it, but looks like it will be $199. 

1676940278_ScreenShot2019-05-31at9_00_58AM.thumb.png.da0d414482841c83618435ebc76b37c3.png

Sort of annoying you can get it for free with an S1 purchase after I bought mine already. I did get a free battery and battery grip with my purchase, but the battery is $86 and I'll probably never use the battery grip, so I think I'd rather have the free firmware upgrade... 

It’s free if you register your camera before end of July 

I’m pretty sure S1H has IBIS from talking to Panasonic rep, not a definitive yes, rather a ‘I can’t say but I’d expect so ?’ answer

I picked up an S1 for £1750 at a store open day, and free V Log! Awesome camera. I’m just using Voigtlander VM 35/1.2 at the moment. Amazed how good the IBIS is compared to A7iii 

I prefer S1 to S1H I think, 10 bit 4K 30p will do me and the camera is smaller without the vents. To be fair, the 8 bit codec already looks superb, 10 bit is a bonus. 

On 6/1/2019 at 11:50 PM, Skip77 said:

Does the S1 have Eye AF now?

The S1 always has eyeAF and animal AF with retail FW. Still has it with the latest FW 1.1

On 5/31/2019 at 8:33 PM, sanveer said:

I'm not sure where you are from but in the US, you get free battery and grip when you pre-ordered ($430 value), 3 years extended warranty, and free VLOG FW update ($200). Current promotion is free MC-21 EF-L adapter and free VLOG update. I got the camera for $2250 via GreenToe, sold the grip, and got the price down to $2000.

I bought Canon 5D IV and EOS R and I have never receive any free accesories, VLOG upgrade or 3 years extended warranty. I also ordered A7III for a friend with my edu discount. It doesn't even include a wall charger or additional accessories of value.

I find peaking a terrific value in manual shooting. The best I know of to date is Fuji cams. Peaking, focus check while rolling, and level---all superior on Fuji X-H1 and X-T3!

The S1 is a close second in many respects. The Peaking works well....UNTIL you start rolling footage. Then is dramatically reduces---to the point of all but disappearing in some cases--making focus pulling DURING the clip very difficult in many cases. This reduction of peaking does not happen with the GH5, or the G85---it works great--not as good as Fuji, but very good.

Also, I note there's no focus check while rolling. This is the same with the Nikon 6.

This makes me think neither Panasonic nor Nikon care about what is actually needed for video---or they don't think it makes any difference to have these and other important focus and exposure functions basically become disabled once you press the shutter button.

Is that fixable???

You can ramp up the focus peaking quite a bit. When I do that, it’s a bit too much when not rolling but works perfectly for me when recording. Strange it diminishes at all - hopefully that is fixed in the firmware update. But I haven’t had issues with it at full strength on f1.4 lenses.