Varicam LT Price reduction

Mako Sports

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Kinda killed a lot of reasons to consider a secondhand old Arri Alexa if a new Varicam LT is the same price!

16 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

Cost to get this puppy full rigged will still put it at $15K + package I imagine.

Media for it is insanely expensive. Unless recording externally. 

On 5/31/2019 at 7:02 AM, thebrothersthre3 said:

Throw on a Ninja V and you got a good setup. I am currently holding off on buying a cinema camera as the prices just keep dropping on everything. 

Ninja V? The LT doesn't output raw over HDMI

Shogun Inferno is what you'd want

7 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Does it even output 10bit over HDMI?? Probably does, but I wouldn't want to assume it!

Don't think that using a Ninja V is the right approach to recording with a Varicam LT

Yeah if I had that kind of money Atomos would not even be on my list. The Convergent Design Odyssey 7Q+ would be at the top.

11 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah if I had that kind of money Atomos would not even be on my list. The Convergent Design Odyssey 7Q+ would be at the top.

The Shogun Inferno seems to be a popular choice with the Varicam LT

I have a PIX-E5 (My tears when they discontinued the line...) but it comes with SDI.  Checking the B&H Site, it looks like its only video outputs are SDI tho.  Could do 4K Prores I suppose.  New pricing brings it competitive with the EVA1...not sure I could justify the weight and gear-bloat, I like to keep things light...

1 hour ago, Andy Zou said:

I have a PIX-E5 (My tears when they discontinued the line...) but it comes with SDI. 

Yeah, really sad that Sound Devices left the video recorder market. I think they were offering something uniquely different that nobody else was doing. 

However! I'm almost certain they don't support raw out of the Varicam LT. In fact, did Video Devices support raw out of anything

1 hour ago, Andy Zou said:

New pricing brings it competitive with the EVA1...not sure I could justify the weight and gear-bloat, I like to keep things light...

EVA1 has had a price drop as well:

https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/01/03/panasonic-eva1-price-drop/

However at "only" three and a half grand less than a Varicam LT, I feel like the EVA1 needs another price drop soon. (plus the FS7 is only a few hundred more than a discounted EVA1, and although I believe the EVA1 is the "better" camera, the sheer market dominance of the FS7 means the EVA1 needs to be more price competitive to get its foot firmly in the door) Also the FS5 has been on sale for sub $3.5K last year, which is rather intense price competition from below. 

While the Varicam LT is quite "heavy" compared to anything a DSLR filmmaker is used to, when you compare it to the competition of ARRI / F55 / Varicam S35 / etc then it feels much lighter and compact!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-Cinema-VariCam-LT-4K-S35-Digital-Cinema-Camera-Premium-Package/254030230363

NEW PRICE for the full kit :

38,000 USD

USED PRICE for the full kit:

30,000 USD ( 8,000 discount over new) or best offer. 

Now lowered the price to 25,000 USD all included !

Got to feel sorry for this guy after the Panasonic price drop!

And there are many other LTs on eBay, although that listing is one of the more pricey ones! (to be fair, it comes with a few accessories)

Mitch Gross says there is no EVA2 / Varicam coming on the horizon to replace the Varicam LT. 

So if you're considering either of an EVA1 or a Varicam LT, then you can buy it confident there is no new replacement from Panasonic just around the corner.