Deciding between X-H1 and X-T3

ThomHaig

Also have both.

For me, it comes down to IBIS vs better AF.

One has it, the other doesn't but is better at it.

My 'solution' to how I shoot (photo & stills) is the XH1 gets the stills role with primes and the XT3 the video role with choice of 2 primes on monopod or zoom with OIS if handheld.

So IMO, both are great, but neither the complete unit.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Also have both.

For me, it comes down to IBIS vs better AF.

One has it, the other doesn't but is better at it.

My 'solution' to how I shoot (photo & stills) is the XH1 gets the stills role with primes and the XT3 the video role with choice of 2 primes on monopod or zoom with OIS if handheld.

So IMO, both are great, but neither the complete unit.

I've found a tripod ends up getting me a better image for most uses, that is compared to my GH5's IBIS. I do miss IBIS for vacation stuff where I don't want to bring any gear though. 

I use a freestanding mono for speed most of the time but for longer stuff (ceremonies & speeches) break out the tripod.

The mono of course has that advantage of just the one leg to height adjust!

The only issue I had this last weekend with my current set up however is that it was too top heavy for the mono, so for next weekend I have ditched:

The 5" monitor and it's clamp.

The Anker battery pack and it's clamp.

The Sigma 18-35 f1.8 and swapping it out for Fujis 18-55 f2.8-4 (so sacrificing shallow DOF for OIS and size/weight).

Much better handling!

12 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

I use a freestanding mono for speed most of the time but for longer stuff (ceremonies & speeches) break out the tripod.

The mono of course has that advantage of just the one leg to height adjust!

The only issue I had this last weekend with my current set up however is that it was too top heavy for the mono, so for next weekend I have ditched:

The 5" monitor and it's clamp.

The Anker battery pack and it's clamp.

The Sigma 18-35 f1.8 and swapping it out for Fujis 18-55 f2.8-4 (so sacrificing shallow DOF for OIS and size/weight).

Much better handling!

That is very true. The 18-55 is wonderful. The speed of setting up a monopod is really nice sometimes. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

After much deliberation, I decided to go with the x-t3. It came through last week, and whilst I haven't had enough of a chance to play with it as much as I'd like, I really like it so far. The 120p footage looks great, as does the eterna profile.

I was hoping for some input on lenses (or adapters more specifically). Ultimately I'm after a fast(ish) prime, something around the 50 - 90mm full frame equivalent range. I already own the Tamron 45mm f1.8 VC (Canon mount) which fits the bill (albeit a bit bigger than ideal), plus it has stabilisation, but I'm wondering if anyone knows what video AF is like with adapted lenses?

The following adapters have come up on my radar so far:

Fringer EF-FX Pro II (which can be had from around £300 but looks like they all need to be imported)

Kipon Baveyes (similar price to Fringer, but with speed-boosting optics, although they seem to create artefacts. Also needs to be imported)

Viltrox make both speed-boosted and regular adapters that can be had for around half the price of either of the above.

Would really appreciate any input / knowledge on AF performance, thanks!

56 minutes ago, ThomHaig said:

Hey everyone,

After much deliberation, I decided to go with the x-t3. It came through last week, and whilst I haven't had enough of a chance to play with it as much as I'd like, I really like it so far. The 120p footage looks great, as does the eterna profile.

I was hoping for some input on lenses (or adapters more specifically). Ultimately I'm after a fast(ish) prime, something around the 50 - 90mm full frame equivalent range. I already own the Tamron 45mm f1.8 VC (Canon mount) which fits the bill (albeit a bit bigger than ideal), plus it has stabilisation, but I'm wondering if anyone knows what video AF is like with adapted lenses?

The following adapters have come up on my radar so far:

Fringer EF-FX Pro II (which can be had from around £300 but looks like they all need to be imported)

Kipon Baveyes (similar price to Fringer, but with speed-boosting optics, although they seem to create artefacts. Also needs to be imported)

Viltrox make both speed-boosted and regular adapters that can be had for around half the price of either of the above.

If you want reliable continuous video AF, forget adapters. Go with Fuji's f/2 primes or f/2.8 zooms.

• Administrators
On 6/18/2019 at 12:05 PM, ThomHaig said:

I have all 3.

The Fringer has the fastest AF. In stills mode that is.

The Kipon is an excellent speed booster, but the AF is not currently up there with the Fringer.

Viltrox is cheap, but AF ranks third.

None are really usable in video mode for autofocus, they don't track well or do AF-C quickly.

AF-S is fine.

On 6/21/2019 at 10:44 PM, Andrew Reid said:

None are really usable in video mode for autofocus, they don't track well or do AF-C quickly.

Thanks @Andrew Reid - great to have a detailed comparison between the 3. Shame none of them are as good as native options. Maybe I'll pick up the 50mm f2 as you suggest @MrSMW - the reviews I've seen give it really high praise

• 1 month later...
On 5/28/2019 at 1:43 PM, TheRealOG said:

It's a different beast these days. Sometimes, that C-camera is your main rig... Some packages are based off of iphone/snapchat/ig/cctv video that you drop on your timeline. That sometimes becomes the sole purpose for the package. When you're making deadline no one cares about your parfocal lens or steady shots. Larger markets don't even use sticks and do the pan to nowhere. Some days, I get tired of lugging the hotpod with the ENG cam, but I still do it. A c100 would be nice, but that b4 lens is amazing, with that doubler and macro. You can literally shoot anything. LOL

I went with the H1 over the X-T3 because IBIS, better price, nicer grip. I picked up the package with the battery grip (which comes with two batteries) for $1,099 (open box). You won't get the two additional batteries with the X-T3 grip. I've also adapted the Sigma 18-35 with the Viltrox EF-FX1 adapter (really nice!).

Hi, I have X-H1 and Viltrox EF-FX1. I have tried EF70-200/2.8L ...AF working fine but not getting IBIS. The IS option is greyed out. Are you getting the IBIS function when using this adapter? If yes, please let me know the settings in X-H1 to get IBIS function.

Moreover, when using EF50mm/1.8 STM, I am unable to use it. Everytime the camera displays "Turn off the camera and turn on".

But with X-T20, this combination works fine. Need your help.

Thanks

On 6/23/2019 at 12:39 PM, ThomHaig said:

Thanks @Andrew Reid - great to have a detailed comparison between the 3. Shame none of them are as good as native options.

It never is.

Look latest Sigma MC21 that never achieved C-AF work with its own lenses.

MC-1 was better on that but data "translation" that occurs between adapter and third party lenses is always away from native lenses.

15 hours ago, Amitava said:

Hi, I have X-H1 and Viltrox EF-FX1. I have tried EF70-200/2.8L ...AF working fine but not getting IBIS. The IS option is greyed out. Are you getting the IBIS function when using this adapter? If yes, please let me know the settings in X-H1 to get IBIS function.

Moreover, when using EF50mm/1.8 STM, I am unable to use it. Everytime the camera displays "Turn off the camera and turn on".

But with X-T20, this combination works fine. Need your help.

Thanks

Try updating the firmware on the adapter and on the H1. You might also need to change the IS setting on the H1 to "continuous" as opposed to just "press only"