Deciding between X-H1 and X-T3

ThomHaig

Hey everyone,

I was hoping to get some advice - I'm toying between picking up either an x-t3 or an x-h1. I currently have an x-t2. It's by far my favourite camera to use out of everything I've ever owned, having toyed with most of the major manufacturer's systems. I thought the Fuji top-dials thing was nonsense / an unnecessary fuss until I tried it. I love that tactility.

I've found pretty decent deals on both cameras that include the battery grip, at more or less the same price. I understand that in terms recording options and specs the x-t3 is much better than the x-h1, but IBIS is the one thing I wish my x-t2 had. Whilst I'd love to say I'm a film making auteur, the truth is most of it's use will be casual, walkaround stuff. I very occasionally use my camera for work (mostly studio stuff), and I plan to use it for some low-budget film making hopefully later this year.

I own the fujifilm 10-24mm / 18-55mm / 55-200mm which are all stabilised. I I'm keen to get some fujifilm primes, and I love the idea of using them stabilised, hence my decision to make. I know the x-h1 can use Fuji's lenses (focus by wire) in a 'linear' mode. Does this make manual focussing comparative to focusing on conventional lenses? And is this feature in both x-h1 and x-t3?

Would appreciate any opinions / steering in the right direction! Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@ThomHaig have you shot hand-held before with IBIS or OIS?

@androidlad may be right or may be wrong, depending on how you shoot (walking, ninja walking, creeping, not moving), how steady your body is, how much you can lean against things, how steady your hands are, what focal lengths you are shooting, how much movement there is of your subject, and how much movement is acceptable for you.

I shoot hand-held with the GH5 and manual primes and I have pretty stable hands but the results are still variable.  Sometimes I get rock-solid shots which could have been a tripod, sometimes I get shots that look like a hand-held cinema camera (they have human movement but it's not jittery) and sometimes the shots are pretty rough.

Considering how much money you're talking about spending, maybe hiring before buying might be useful?

If you want to use primes handheld definitely get the XH1. I am happy using the 18-55 when I need stabilization, the OIS is pretty amazing, better than GH5 IBIS imho.

That or you can use Canon OIS primes with an adapter, but than your auto focus will suck. The XH1 continuous auto focus isn't near as usable as the XT3. The XT3 has reached the point of it being pretty darn good for many situations. XH1 is still usable but definitely less reliable and more limiting.

16 minutes ago, Kubrickian said:

The floaty image-stabilized look has come to define this level of filmmaking. I would like to build out a proper shoulder rig with some weight to get a higher-production value look with unstabilized primes and the x-t3. 

I agree. I am sick and tired of the stupid floating look. It is un natural as hell. Like I have said you can look at the evening news with crews using heavy ENG cameras and you Rarely see any screw ups on dumb looking motion on them, and as I have stated you spend more time walking backwards doing that than going forward doing ENG work. These light as heck setups may  be nice for some things but for serious work you need a seriously heavy camera or a really damn good Tripod. I just don't think IBIS, or OIS, even AF is going to really get the job done if you are serious about this stuff. There is no free lunch for quality output. Maybe a full blown Stedicam rig that cost 20,000 Dollars can, but..

Sure it can look pretty good showing your Mom your footage, but having knowledgeable people scrutinizing it, trying to make money from it, hmm not sure about that..

Despite what I'm going to say below, if I had to choose between the two cameras here I'd go for X-T3 and put it on some kind of mount to lock it onto my body for stabilisation. 

45 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I just don't think IBIS, or OIS, even AF is going to really get the job done if you are serious about this stuff. There is no free lunch for quality output. Maybe a full blown Stedicam rig that cost 20,000 Dollars can, but..

Sure it can look pretty good showing your Mom your footage, but having knowledgeable people scrutinizing it, trying to make money from it, hmm not sure about that..

Blanket statements like that annoy me. It 100% depends on how you make your money. There are people with more money than I will ever have making YouTube videos and they sure as hell love IBIS and AF. 

I work in TV and the few shots I've used that have been shot with IBIS (GX80 as a C cam) have had a lot of praise from 'Knowledgeable people scrutinising it'. Even when matching it to an FS5/LS300 on sticks. Would I use it as an A-cam? No way, but the IBIS allowed me to get a shot I would have struggled with if I tried to use the other cameras. It's a very valuable tool, just like the microphones, lenses and lights you pack.

41 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Despite what I'm going to say below, if I had to choose between the two cameras here I'd go for X-T3 and put it on some kind of mount to lock it onto my body for stabilisation. 

Blanket statements like that annoy me. It 100% depends on how you make your money. There are people with more money than I will ever have making YouTube videos and they sure as hell love IBIS and AF. 

I work in TV and the few shots I've used that have been shot with IBIS (GX80 as a C cam) have had a lot of praise from 'Knowledgeable people scrutinising it'. Even when matching it to an FS5/LS300 on sticks. Would I use it as an A-cam? No way, but the IBIS allowed me to get a shot I would have struggled with if I tried to use the other cameras. It's a very valuable tool, just like the microphones, lenses and lights you pack.

You just admitted what I have said. You would not use it as a A-cam. What, you think everyone on here has 2 or 3 cameras to take stuff. I would imagine the Only camera they have is used as the A-cam. Sure I can run down the street and grab a shot with my iPhone. Is it top notch, the best I can do, not by a long shot. Sure anyone can half ass anything, that part is easy. And that is what this flying stuff looks like, and easy way out. Yeah if you are just on vacation, sure go for it. But for serious stuff you bust your ass to do, I think it falls way short. YMMV.

I don’t wish to derail the topic, but I wouldn’t use the GX80 as an A cam, but for many reasons beyond the IBIS. I would for sure, and people regularly do use a GH5, for example.

My point was IBIS isn’t only good for your mom. It’s a tool that can be used to great effect in all kinds of productions, from private videos with your wife that nobody else will ever see, to globally distributed films and anywhere in between. 

Speaking of tools and your wife - at the end of the day, it’s all about how you use it, and putting it under the blanket of ‘it’s rubbish’ doesn’t help anyone.

I think hybrid cameras are definitely more suited to narrative film making. If you got them on sticks, or a gimbal or dolly they work perfectly. Not so much for handheld. That said I am really impressed with what I can get from the XT3 plus OIS 18-55. For B-roll its almost an ideal setup. 

I think for anything critical I want a 1st AC focus pulling. That said if I am going solo switching between AF and manual focus is just a matter of hitting a button. For certain shots you can't go wrong with AF. 

On 5/26/2019 at 12:50 PM, webrunner5 said:

You just admitted what I have said. You would not use it as a A-cam. What, you think everyone on here has 2 or 3 cameras to take stuff. I would imagine the Only camera they have is used as the A-cam. Sure I can run down the street and grab a shot with my iPhone. Is it top notch, the best I can do, not by a long shot. Sure anyone can half ass anything, that part is easy. And that is what this flying stuff looks like, and easy way out. Yeah if you are just on vacation, sure go for it. But for serious stuff you bust your ass to do, I think it falls way short. YMMV.

It's a different beast these days. Sometimes, that C-camera is your main rig... Some packages are based off of iphone/snapchat/ig/cctv video that you drop on your timeline. That sometimes becomes the sole purpose for the package. When you're making deadline no one cares about your parfocal lens or steady shots. Larger markets don't even use sticks and do the pan to nowhere. Some days, I get tired of lugging the hotpod with the ENG cam, but I still do it. A c100 would be nice, but that b4 lens is amazing, with that doubler and macro. You can literally shoot anything. LOL

I went with the H1 over the X-T3 because IBIS, better price, nicer grip. I picked up the package with the battery grip (which comes with two batteries) for $1,099 (open box). You won't get the two additional batteries with the X-T3 grip. I've also adapted the Sigma 18-35 with the Viltrox EF-FX1 adapter (really nice!).

7 hours ago, TheRealOG said:

It's a different beast these days. Sometimes, that C-camera is your main rig... Some packages are based off of iphone/snapchat/ig/cctv video that you drop on your timeline. That sometimes becomes the sole purpose for the package. When you're making deadline no one cares about your parfocal lens or steady shots. Larger markets don't even use sticks and do the pan to nowhere. Some days, I get tired of lugging the hotpod with the ENG cam, but I still do it. A c100 would be nice, but that b4 lens is amazing, with that doubler and macro. You can literally shoot anything. LOL

I went with the H1 over the X-T3 because IBIS, better price, nicer grip. I picked up the package with the battery grip (which comes with two batteries) for $1,099 (open box). You won't get the two additional batteries with the X-T3 grip. I've also adapted the Sigma 18-35 with the Viltrox EF-FX1 adapter (really nice!).

Yeah you are right. I was a bit too harsh on my comment. Times have changed and tech has truly advanced. A person needs to try anything to get the shot, and there are now more and more ways to do it. I guess I am a old fossil lol.

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah you are right. I was a bit too harsh on my comment. Times have changed and tech has truly advanced. A person needs to try anything to get the shot, and there are now more and more ways to do it. I guess I am a old fossil lol.

You're not an old fossil. People have become accustomed to mediocrity. Composition, framing, and sequencing rarely exist. They've been supplemented by the "floaty" gimbal look. People are always chasing the next LUT, raw recording, but rarely "how do I improve" my work with intention. All of these tools are supposed to be chosen for a reason. Three medium-shots back to back in 120fps is not visually appealing. Great work still requires heavy rigs and heavy rigs mean: union sets, decent money, people being professionals, insurance, purpose, and making a living. 

The H1 is my vote for a great hybrid camera!

Hey folks,

Thanks! Tons of really valuable opinions, really appreciate everyone chiming in!

Yeah, lots to think about, still swaying between them a bit, but possibly leaning towards X-H1. I just toss and turn as it seems a shame to give up 10Bit / 4K 60p / decent 120p. Would be lovely if Fujifilm released a best-of-both X-H2!

On 5/26/2019 at 8:12 PM, Anaconda_ said:

One of five films created for Morrison’s in the UK (supermarket chain).

Filmed on two GX80’s.

Discreet, stabilised and good enough for this job.