Nano-rigs - hand-held camera rigs that do it all and fit in your pocket

kye

• Super Members
12 hours ago, kye said:

The unfortunate aspect of it is that it completely obscures the rear door, prohibiting the use of an external microphone.  I've examined it with the intent to drill a hole in order to get a 3.5mm mic jack through the rig and into the camera, but it doesn't look like that is too feasible.

What a ridiculous situation.

Who thought that was a good idea?

I'd be tempted to look to see if anyone has done a 3D printed version of their own as it would be an easy edit to remove a suitably sized opening and then have it printed by someone you know who has a 3D printer or send it off to a commercial bureau to have done.

This one for example could be a starting point 

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3659415

And remember to have it printed in electric blue.

• 3 months later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 6/5/2019 at 9:02 PM, BTM_Pix said:
On 6/5/2019 at 9:26 AM, kye said:

The unfortunate aspect of it is that it completely obscures the rear door, prohibiting the use of an external microphone.  I've examined it with the intent to drill a hole in order to get a 3.5mm mic jack through the rig and into the camera, but it doesn't look like that is too feasible.

What a ridiculous situation.

Who thought that was a good idea?

I also realised that the handle/screen mount obscured the tripod mounting hole in the bottom of the X3000 camera itself, and didn't provide an alternate mounting hole, but no worries - I own a drill!

I mounted a Peak Design Capture plate on the bottom of it to make it compatible with my Arca-Swiss QR system and also the Capture system too.

I'm now on day one of the trip I bought the X3000 for in the first place, and so far it seems to be doing well.  I haven't checked the footage from it yet, but so far the mounting thingy is really comfortable and intuitive to use and having a screen tilt vertically is really great for shooting at different heights.  It's also very comfortable in the hand when you're not shooting with it.  I'm tempted to say that I think this mount might be the reason that you see thousands of pics of people mounting GoPros with all kinds of rigs but you get very few hits when searching for X3000 rigs, as I think that this is perfectly designed - it really is that good.  I'd also imagine they didn't sell nearly as well as GoPros sold, but the ratio wouldn't have been hundreds to one and I think this partly the reason why.

Another killer advantage of the X3000 is that the camera is currently on a gorillapod facing out of the window of the hotel shooting a time-lapse and I'm sitting comfortably no-where near it and because the screen is wireless I don't have to get up to check on it!  Win!!

I did a lot of thinking about not having the mic port accessible in that mount and my theory is that I don't need directional audio for it as I don't tend to shoot people talking with a super-wide lens like that.  I shoot things like amazing scenery, busy places and crowds, and underwater stuff with it.  So for this trip I didn't pack the mic for it and I'll see how I go with ambient audio.  It records stereo sound so should be helpful with that immersive vibe, as opposed to my GH5 / Rode VMP combo which is only mono.

6 hours ago, TurboRat said:

What handle is that? Is that compatible with the new P4K and Panasonic cams?

It's Blackmagic's grip for the Ursa Mini cameras. Unfortunately it can't work with the P4k as there's no LANC input. I assume it'll work with Panasonic cameras with LANC, but I don't know for sure.