"Hidden" 10bit 5K mode on the Panasonic S1 has HUGE 200Mb bitrate

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
1 hour ago, androidlad said:

4:2:2 internal will be H.264.

H.265 remains 10bit 4:2:0.

How do you know this dude? Panasonic haven't announced the details yet.

1 hour ago, tweak said:

Don't forget the Zcam. It does 4K 120fps h.265 10bit 200Mbs. ?.

Yes, from a 2x crop sensor. Still impressive though but it is $2000 before you have added all the spidery shitty un-ergonomic bits.

Not sure how much I'll use this feature, but now that I've used the S1 on a couple of professional shoots, I am very very very impressed with this camera. The V-Log/10-bit update will only make it even more incredible. The image, in my opinion, is leaps and bounds ahead of the A7III and EOS R (haven't used the Nikon...).

And now there is an even more capable video camera coming out from Panasonic? They seem to be on a roll.

Also, for all the talk on autofocus, if someone is paying me for a job, there isn't a camera out there that I would trust for video AF - even the EOS R and C200 failed or pulsated or focused on the background too many times. 

--

I'll also note that in photo mode with native glass, the AF is lightning fast. Just as fast (if not faster) than anything else I've used. 

Andrew, one thing that everybody missed is that Panny crippled all audio at 128k AAC! The audio sounds OK, but its so highly compressed that when you upload it to YouTube, they will re-compress it heavily again! No way to avoid this. (128k source crushed a second time by another 128k YouTube pass over)

The S1 has the WORST audio compression of any high end camera that I'm aware of. Worse than any GH camera...or Sony Alpha,...or Sony Cybershot....worse than even a GoPro.

This was a shameless stunt by Panny. Yes, you DO get linear PCM audio with the paid firmware update but a stock S1?....yeah, I'm sure Panny marketing managers are even laughing at us on this one!

• Administrators
11 hours ago, Cliff Totten said:

Andrew, one thing that everybody missed is that Panny crippled all audio at 128k AAC! The audio sounds OK, but its so highly compressed that when you upload it to YouTube, they will re-compress it heavily again! No way to avoid this. (128k source crushed a second time by another 128k YouTube pass over)

The S1 has the WORST audio compression of any high end camera that I'm aware of. Worse than any GH camera...or Sony Alpha,...or Sony Cybershot....worse than even a GoPro.

This was a shameless stunt by Panny. Yes, you DO get linear PCM audio with the paid firmware update but a stock S1?....yeah, I'm sure Panny marketing managers are even laughing at us on this one!

Well at least the firmware update will fix the audio codec.

You're never going to get the best audio quality through internal pre-amps anyway, always better to use an external device. The audio circuit inside a camera has a lot of other noise from electronics and heat to deal with.

I think Panasonic are holding a few things back from the $2k S1, for obvious Cinema Lumix related reasons! That camera might be $4k or even $6k though, so at least you are saving some money by going with the S1 and it's minimally crippled video feature set. It's far from an EOS R. No crop, anamorphic aspect ratios, great codec, internal 10bit, soon to be 4:2:2, high bitrates, 4K/60p Super 35, hardly lacking for a stills camera is it?

• Administrators
3 hours ago, androidlad said:

I know lots of things that haven't been announced.

So this is the paid update then?

H.264 MP4 4K 25/30p 150Mbps (4:2:2 10-bit, Long-GOP, LPCM)

H.264 MP4 4K 24p 150Mbps (4:2:2 10-bit, Long-GOP, LPCM)

H.264 MP4 FHD 50/60p 100Mbps (4:2:2 10-bit, Long-GOP, LPCM)

H.264 MP4 FHD 25/30p 100Mbps (4:2:2 10-bit, Long-GOP, LPCM)

H.264 MP4 FHD 24p 100Mbps (4:2:2 10-bit, Long-GOP, LPCM)

7 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Yeah hope they replace h265 soon, not sure what its doing on what they are calling a proffesional cinema camera. H264 and h265 codecs are shitty to edit with. 

Not sure if it will be. For the price I'm not that fussed, I can't see a better option right now anyway.

Nice, glad you figured out the bitrate, Andrew. I found the 6k photomode just playing around a few weeks ago but was too dumb to check the manual for the specs.

Really hoping the upgrade comes with the ability to shoot in 24p and HLG in this mode.

I have the Leica 90mm f/2 and have been trying to get my hands on a Moller 32/2x to pair with it and the S1.

Nick Driftwood has posted several videos shooting anamorphic with the S1 and the 24-105.

• 4 months later...

Hello Andrew! I've been following your eoshd for a long time now and I feel thankful to you, because of you I got to learn a lot and I tend to rely on your reviews than anyone else on internet. I'm planning to get either a Nikon Z6 or a Panasonic S1 (mostly based on by reading your articles on these two cameras) and I'm really confused which one to go with. Any of those system will be new for me and my main concern is color science, image quality, evf quality and I'd really like to have a good af in video. I tried my friend's A7iii and I really hated the evf, I found it to be terrible, I was wondering how better is Nikon z6's evf compared to sony a7iii and how better is panasonic's s1's evf compared to nikon z6? My budget is limited. I'll have to learn color grading as well as I haven't done it so considering that as well which one would you recommend me, Nikon z6 or panasonic s1? And I was wondering are the native z lenses bad for manual focusing? I'm planning to make low or no-budget indie films soon with one of those cameras. Your response will be greatly appreciated.