Need some advice

Nikkor

Hello,

I just got a Sankor 16c off ebay (150€, 80€ would have been an ok deal but I didn't want to wait more).

I need some advise about which lens to use it with. I read a lot about helios 44-2, but I have found a nice zuiko om 50 1.8 which looks like is going to have the lens a lot closer. Any advice? I want to use it on an canon 50d with ml raw,etc...

Also I'm wondering ,given that the sankor 16c seems to be huge, if connecting it with a clamp won't break the filter thread, and therefore making the sankor fall down,etc... 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I won the auction this morning so I still don't have any clamp, there are some cheaper ones but I guess I should buy a redstan, right? ^^ Any suggestions are welcome.

Regarding the taking lenses, since you have tried a few, what do you think would not vignette on a 50D APS-C. The zuiko om 50 1.8 looks nice and small, and it seems like I can get the sankor pretty close. 

Thank you for your help!

I just noticed, that the lens is not a sankor 16c, as the seller said, but a 16d (it's completle black and it does not say 16c anywhere, and it's different in shape).

I found out that the d is bigger and heavier and it has a bigger back thread. But I didn't find anything about focus distance and general quality when compared to the 16C, any idea?

It's pretty much the same, but bigger optics (better), and stronger construction (better too).

Redstan HAS a custom clamp for it, you can check some more info here: https://drive.google.com/?pli=1&authuser=0#folders/0BzVcUB-5ReiZajVncE9rYU9heDQ

or, if you don't feel like looking up through them all, the Sankor 16-D is here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/16zeZOt79LDBFVVQ5nCVfNqPGUkXLOu1GtVVkh6SoOvs

It SHOULD work at the edge of vignetting with a 50mm on APS-C. :P

Oh man I got it all wrong, it's actually a 16c. So I got back to the original question, what would be a nice taking lens, I know about the helios 44-2, It would be nice if someone had some more experience with other lenses (the zuiko for example)

thanks for the help!

Yes, I'd go with the redstan clamp over the Vid Atlantic, having used both with the Sankor 16c.  

Your 50mm may have some slight vignetting at the corners, which you might find to be a charming effect or may cut off entirely if you crop to get down to a 2.35:1 ratio.  

You're definitely not going to get a sharp image wide open, so be prepared to stop it down.  f/4 is a good place to start.  

BTW, the more you stop down, the less vignetting you should see...

thank you guys!

I've been watching some videos (still don't have the sankor) and there is a "strange vignette", when you face the sun a white halo appears out of nowhere. I guess this is a know problem and I was wondering where it comes from.

Is it?  Maybe I'm remembering it wrong.  Either way, it shouldn't be a big deal paired with a 50mm on the aps-c sensor.

It's a mechanical vignette, like in the article linked by tosvus:

D28_f2.png

Oftentimes when I am using a lens combination that is right on the edge, I can literally see the inner barrel of my anamorphic past f/5.6 or f/8.