Speed-booster for Electronic Aperture lenses

DanielVranic

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The VILTROX EF-M2 is cheaper, but it will be optically not as good as the Metabones.
And since quality control is lacking, you might even get a really bad one.
You can also buy the VILTROX EF-M1, which is the same but without the focal reducer.
Let's you control the aperture and do AF without loss in optical quality.

Viltrox EF-M2 is optically identical to the Metabones in center of the shot, corners are a bit blurry. However is that worth the difference? If I was shooting a movie for the cinema, I wouldn't skimp on that, but as I'm mostly shooting for youtube and web delivery, there's no way anyone can see the difference and none of my clients ever commented on that. 

I have it, I had zero issues with it and I think it's worth the price. 

23 hours ago, Adam Kuźniar said:

Viltrox EF-M2 is optically identical to the Metabones in center of the shot, corners are a bit blurry. However is that worth the difference? If I was shooting a movie for the cinema, I wouldn't skimp on that, but as I'm mostly shooting for youtube and web delivery, there's no way anyone can see the difference and none of my clients ever commented on that. 

I have it, I had zero issues with it and I think it's worth the price. 

Exactly, who cares about quality or ripoff products? I mean, is it worth the difference knowing you paid the creators instead a Chinese company that simply stole the design? It’s not like the guy who designed the optics that were copied even posts in this forum. Everything should be as cheap as possible, especially the work you do, you should strive to deliver at lower costs.

@Brian Caldwell

Kipon makes both focal reducer and non focal reducer adapters that work ok and a lot cheaper than Matabones.    I had one of the earliest non focal reducer ones (serial number was 77 form memory) and it worked fine for electronic aperture (and AFS too) after a couple of firmware upgrades (was terrible as sold but very quickly became very useable after a couple of upgrades).

I've used both Metabones and Viltrox focal reducers and I noticed minimal differences between the two in terms of image quality, certainly not enough to justify the price difference anyway. The only issue I had with my Viltrox, and it was an easy fix with the supplied tools, was adjust the back to focus better with the Sigma 18-35.

I haven't used it but I've also heard good things about the Commlite focal reducer.

5 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Lens Turbo seemed to be the closest to Metabones in terms of quality. You can control the aperture manually with a Lens Turbo. No need for electronics if you don't need AF.

Or aperture priority. Or wireless aperture through an app. Or controlling the camera through USB. Or being able to accurately tell what aperture the lens is actually at. Or have EXIF. 

I was scratching my head between choosing the Lens Turbo II, Viltrox EM2 & The Metabones (For BMPCC).
It's a shame the cheap speed-boosters (Viltrox) don't allow for IS or OS on Canon or other Third Party Lens. They almost had it in the bag.