They did it! Fuji GFX 100 first to bring pro video specs to medium format with 10bit 4K at 400Mbit, F-LOG and IBIS

Mako Sports

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 6/8/2019 at 12:24 PM, DBounce said:

Yes but most of the video centric versions ditch IBIS.. GH5S(No IBIS) S1H(No IBIS) etc... Certainly no professional cinema cameras have IBIS. For me I see IBIS as great for stills... horrible for video; it can sometimes warp the image and ruin the shot. This is understandable as the sensor is also correcting for yaw and pitch. If IBIS only corrected for X Y axises. I believe this would not be such a problem. I feel ultimately, EIS, as seen on the Osmo Action and GoPro... but with better quality, will be the future for cinema. And with large sensors like this, it would be very feasible. 

Nikon-Z7-IBIS.jpg

Cine cameras are huge and not run n gun so IBIS has never been considered. IBIS is also new for video and on the Nikon Z6 IBIS is great for video. Not perfect but great.

I thought the S1H is going to have IBIS? 

On the Nikon Z6 you can turn off IBIS so I'm not sure what the issue is. Turn IBIS is you don't want to use it. 

On 5/26/2019 at 7:42 PM, webrunner5 said:

Yeah the main takeaway in Northrup video, and I agree, is that it is no secret that cameras companies make their money off of lenses. And there as of now is not enough people that is going to buy Canon, Nikon Mirrorless cameras to justify making 5 models of them. So they are depending on DSLR sales and lens buyers to make the real profit. The problem is that is going to hell also. Sony was smarter than they look by dumping the A line DSLR cameras years ago. And they pretty much only have 1 mount for all their stuff. They are in a great position compared to a lot of others.

But as of July 4th ( Happy Independence Day everyone) the gimmick of the day is lens adaptors and using Sony or Nikon on the Z series body. The same goes with other companies. So how are lens sales to one company the bottom line for survival? 

On 7/2/2019 at 2:30 AM, Andrew Reid said:

Anamorphic 4:3 would be a start. What's taking them so long :)

would love it as i am getting into anamorphic.

but i think it will be reseved for the xt3 pro and not for the xt3,  maybe the gfx100 as i doubt they will release a "pro" version of it

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

So we are comparing 1/2.3" sensor to medium format now?

The Osmo Pocket is a very cool little tool but we all know there is a massive difference in the look.

Yes I am. And no the look is not. This is 2019, not 1999. We are not comparing SD to 8K. We are looking at 4K on each. And I would imagine the Vast majority of people would pick the Osmo, and a lot has to do with every shot Not being locked off like the Fuji is. Pretty boring ass footage in my view. The days of stuck up ass Leica, MF cameras are over. The GH5 proves that. The gap has narrowed so far in the last few years it is mind blowing. For video the Fuji is a waste of money and time. For Photos sure, but we Ain't talking about that.

I don't understand why I am an old turd willing to experiment and explore, and a lot of younger people are just stuck in the past. What Nostalgia, Oh I missed the boat thing?  They are just tools, you aren't married to them. Use every freaking thing out there. These new things are a gift from heaven compared to what I grew up with.

• Administrators

Nope, going to continue defending the cutting edge Fuji in light of this new threat posed by the Osmo with it's smartphone sensor.

It's just a fact that the Fuji can do a lot more. Not really controversial although facts in 2019 do seem to be. People rejecting them left right and centre.

Camera movement versus quality of a locked down shot is a different topic and applies to all sorts of kit. There are not many cameras that float like an airborne slider, such as the Osmo is able to do, but comparing it to medium format just denies all sorts of technical and lens related FACTS

@webrunner5 the Osmo Pocket is great for what it is, but when viewed on a large screen with HDR the footage will definitely fall short of the GFX-100. 

I have the Pocket and the Action. I think the Action is even better than the Pocket as it has a HDR mode. But neither shoots as clean as any of my hybrids or dedicated cinema cameras. 

Where the Pocket and Action shine is in convenience. These days I almost always have one or the other on me.

Also, real HDR is game changing and the Action has this. I am constantly annoyed that the Action can capture shadow detail while retaining bright highlights, while my larger cameras struggle, and usually warrant a compromise in post.

The Sigma fp is the first hybrid that I’m aware of that sports this feature.

6 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

It's just a fact that the Fuji can do a lot more. Not really controversial although facts in 2019 do seem to be. People rejecting them left right and centre.

I’m going to disagree. While the Fuji is more capable in many ways the Osmo is easily more versatile.

• Administrators

It's just a stupid comparison full stop. Criticising one of the best medium format cameras in the world because you can't swing it around on a stick and put it in your pocket.

Remind me to tell Fuji's engineers they have really fucked up here.

Sure you can gain the versatility for certain tracking shots in more convenient ways... Big whoop.

Osmo is still a smartphone camera on a stick.

Go and open an Osmo Pocket thread instead rather than dragging a completely unrelated camera topic off into Lala land.

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

It's just a stupid comparison full stop. Criticising one of the best medium format cameras in the world because you can't swing it around on a stick and put it in your pocket.

Remind me to tell Fuji's engineers they have really fucked up here.

Sure you can gain the versatility for certain tracking shots in more convenient ways... Big whoop.

Osmo is still a smartphone camera on a stick.

Go and open an Osmo Pocket thread instead rather than dragging a completely unrelated camera topic off into Lala land.

Indeed, it's Apple's to Watermelons sort of comparo, but no worse than GH5 vs Arri Alexa Mini. 

The Fuji is an epic achievement. But strangely enough we are apparently living in the time of epic achievements. Can't wait to see what Sony annonces tomorrow ??

The point of that is not a mere comparison per se... hey guys, pay attention to read between the lines, s'il vous plaît? : ) There are different and productive understanding(s), communication and multiple meanings beyond your native English! Let alone a strict geek approach standpoint... LOL ; )

Far away to be that. Things should never be seen in stricto sensu. Or facts risk to be distorted in the end of the road.

The whole point is: 1) the level the video technology arrived today and should fairly amaze everyone of us; 2) everything is about the potential of the gear you pick.

There's little sense to choose a medium format camera to shoot wide shots going along deep DOF... Horses for courses. Then, we can properly say apples to oranges.

Other than that, it is reducing the substance of the whole matter and discussion here. We're not comparing devices but technology progress and its use.

Moreover, if they don't allow you to use a photo camera, this can even end in a more dramatic equation towards such topic. There is a thread already open crossing the subject BTW:

; -)

Very interesting explanation. I didn't have idea of the proximity of this technology. Cameras so small... You can save lots of money not wasting resources with expensive cameras. We can use according to our needs. It isn't necessary to buy a Ferrari when I only need driving a car. A car that serves my needs.

Great honest forum with rich discussions like these. I am sick of politically correct and useless teasers. Deceptive teasers. Thank you for truth and so informative speech. Equipment costs money. Art is also knowing how to spend better the resources of filmmaking. Important knowledge.